Monitors

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Paul Nolan

Monitors

Post by Paul Nolan » Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:14 pm

i'm in the market for some decent nearfield monitors.

i havent got crazy money for genelecs or adams (unfortunately), but my budget is around £500.

is there a lot of difference in terms of new or second hand monitors? obviously i'd be able to get something further up the scale if second hand, but i have concerns about quality and longevity, and also the warranty issue!

would be very interested in hearing what you lovely people think

Cheers

Paul :D

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:17 pm

I would get new ones personally..

look at Yamaha MSP-5's, KRK RP6's.

I think for your price range and being in the UK (much cheaper for audio gear than oz) some Dynaudio's should be in your pricerange.

markaugust

Post by markaugust » Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:06 pm

www.abluesky.com
mediadesk 2.1
I love em!

spiderprod

Post by spiderprod » Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:17 pm

i have tryed many monitors wich some are very good like the krk range or some yamaha ,but i have been using alesis for so long that i always endup getting my pair of monitor one out for the final mix .
alesis monitor one mk2 , i swear by them .

CopyRightJustice

Post by CopyRightJustice » Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:45 pm

I have a pair of JBL LSR25 active nearfeilds that were reduced from r.r.p of £800 to £300 brand new, very loud,clear and punchy unlike some studio montors,not the deepest bass but you can allays add a subwoofer.have grown to love them.

Paul Nolan

Post by Paul Nolan » Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:48 pm

a friend recommended the alesis m1 actives which are easily within budget. im not going to make the mistake of spending all my budget just for the sake of it. if it works out cheaper and they are right then even better, but i dont care as long as they're right

definitely after active monitors due to space issues.

markthedoc

Post by markthedoc » Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:15 pm

sweetjesus wrote:I would get new ones personally..

I've got the KRK RP8's.
They cost me £380 & I love em, I'd definitely recommend em.

band-x

Post by band-x » Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:41 pm

markthedoc wrote:
sweetjesus wrote:I would get new ones personally..

I've got the KRK RP8's.
They cost me £380 & I love em, I'd definitely recommend em.
I got the MSP5's.
They cost me £270 & I love em, I'd definitely recommend em.

Lol. Seriously, I had a pair of MKII's and I sold them in the Summer when I was skint. These I bought last month and they're on fire. I've used lots of monitors before, from Dynaudio's to high range Genelec's (I use these on a daily basis at University - http://www.genelec.com/products/1038b/1038b.php).

Of course, the MSP5's are nothing in comparison but for nearfield monitoring they are superb. My only slight grievance is a very slightly coloured bottom end, but I am used to their sound now and I am not using them in an efficient room at the minute.

The top end is absolutely crystal and transfers well onto bigger sytems (I also have the luxury of being able to test in 2 of Newcastles biggest clubs).

However, this is all relative. The best thing you can do is pick out about four or five tracks that you know extremely well. Mix them up so that they're different styles and have different emphasis. Then take that CD into a shop and compare them to how they sound on other, trusted systems. Listen to it on the bus or in the car on the way to the shop. Listen on your hifi, in your cans and in the kitchen. Absolutely everywhere you can. Then you can judge for yourself how the monitors are reacting. Like I say, it's all relative

:P

jesQuick

Post by jesQuick » Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:04 pm

I have the MSP5´s aswell... And I also love them... but I think they are a bit weak in the high end. Especially if you do vocals (i do alot). That means that the high end is stronger on other systems (logic isnt it :P ) But on the other hand i think the bottom is right where it should be! I work in a major studio in Copenhagen and I have been able to test them on everythin from Bluesky to Genelec to NS10´s to a major SDDS-system... They sound great! And if you wanna do mainly music...Go for ´em!!! They are definetly worth the money...

Have fun!

r0an

Post by r0an » Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:15 pm

Oi Nolan - Get some work done u lazy git

:roll:

Paul Nolan

Post by Paul Nolan » Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:42 am

you were about 2 hours late skout! ;o)

anyway check this out for a bad boy price on the yamaha msp5's

http://www.dv247.com/invt/9691/

problem is....there's nowhere to actually hear them where i live...anyone know of anywhere in the north west of england where you could pop along as have a butchers? would like to at least run my ears past them before i purchase them like

r0an

Post by r0an » Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:54 am

What you want for £135? buy em, if you dont like em Ill have em off you for £70 no quibble

pm

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:28 am

Gonna plug the KRK's here.
Just got a pair of the RP5, and they sound a lot better than the comparable M-Audio and Yamaha.

wilxon

Post by wilxon » Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:35 am

Paul Nolan wrote:you were about 2 hours late skout! ;o)

problem is....there's nowhere to actually hear them where i live...anyone know of anywhere in the north west of england where you could pop along as have a butchers? would like to at least run my ears past them before i purchase them like
Dolphinmusic (which isnt a shop, more a wharehouse, but the guys there are cool enough to let you try stuff) in liverpool.(off speke boulevard)

Dawsons Music in Manchester.

markthedoc

Post by markthedoc » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:19 am

wilxon wrote:
Paul Nolan wrote:you were about 2 hours late skout! ;o)

Dolphinmusic (which isnt a shop, more a wharehouse, but the guys there are cool enough to let you try stuff) in liverpool.(off speke boulevard)
Can you go down to Dolphin to try stuff out?
I thought it was just mail order.