playing ableton at a live show.

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
LeoMANXVII

playing ableton at a live show.

Post by LeoMANXVII » Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:21 pm

i've had 2 shows but i noticed what i tend to do is play my original songs one by one. so my transition is just a big pause between my loading of my next ableton file.

it's kind of newbish. =/.

what would you guys do?

Meef Chaloin

Post by Meef Chaloin » Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:54 pm

which version?

maxbaun

Post by maxbaun » Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:07 pm

You could beat-match a CD into your last song and let that play, while you load up a new song. Then you sync that new song with the beat being played on the deck. it should be easy if you stay the same BPM.

LeoMANXVII

Post by LeoMANXVII » Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:23 pm

Meef Chaloin wrote:which version?

LeoMANXVII

Post by LeoMANXVII » Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:23 pm

maxbaun wrote:You could beat-match a CD into your last song and let that play, while you load up a new song. Then you sync that new song with the beat being played on the deck. it should be easy if you stay the same BPM.
sounds interesting. how would i do that tho?

Voodu

Post by Voodu » Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:34 pm

I still think there should be an easy way of combining two sets in the arrangement mode. I've figured out how to do it in the session mode, but all it does is insert the scenes and they are not on the proper place in the timeline. They have to be manually triggered.

Perhaps I'm used to linear sequencers but I prefer to make my original tracks using arrange view, and I'm guessing this guy does to. If you could just add another set to the end of the one your playing you could manully move around the clips and do a custom mixdown kind of thing.

SimonPHC

Post by SimonPHC » Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:32 am

do you use alot of different VSTS or Operators?
And
Do you tweak those live?

If not, one Live Set with all the right audio files is alot easier.
It takes some preperation, but any live set does.

this way you could start the bass of the new song when the drums of the previous song are still fading out.

think about it
All in one set.

LeoMANXVII

Post by LeoMANXVII » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:28 pm

SimonPHC wrote:do you use alot of different VSTS or Operators?
And
Do you tweak those live?

If not, one Live Set with all the right audio files is alot easier.
It takes some preperation, but any live set does.

this way you could start the bass of the new song when the drums of the previous song are still fading out.

think about it
All in one set.
yeah i have definetly tried that. but i have a ton of vsts. and i have a ton of midi files. not so many audio tracks.
and it's just not the fullest potential.
like i tried combining 6 different songs. annd the main problem obviously was the cpu usage and the second problem was that all the songs had a diffrerent bpm rihgt. so i just mapped a knob on one of my controllers to change bpm. . but when i was initiating the change it seriously souinded like it was crumpling up the music as i changed it.
haha.

i have a 2.66 ghz intelpent4 processor. 512 ram. just reformatted. nothing could be better.

suggestion?

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:46 pm

Hi, Don't give up on the "all in one set" idea too quickly, you can change tempo by naming the first scene of any song "XXX bpm" and Live will jump to that tempo when it plays that scene.

Your RAM could use a bit of beefing up, 512MB is considered pretty much the bare MINIMUM for audio work these days.

Now you just have to get around the high CPU issue - can you print any of your hungry VST / VSTi parts, just for gigging use? Live lets you have almost an unlimited number of audio clips in a mega-set - only the clips actually playing at any given moment drain the CPU and Disk, the rest "wait in the wings" not contributing to the load.

hope this helps :)
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:48 pm

double double post post

LeoMANXVII

Post by LeoMANXVII » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:50 pm

Pitch Black wrote:Hi, Don't give up on the "all in one set" idea too quickly, you can change tempo by naming the first scene of any song "XXX bpm" and Live will jump to that tempo when it plays that scene.

Your RAM could use a bit of beefing up, 512MB is considered pretty much the bare MINIMUM for audio work these days.

Now you just have to get around the high CPU issue - can you print any of your hungry VST / VSTi parts, just for gigging use? Live lets you have almost an unlimited number of audio clips in a mega-set - only the clips actually playing at any given moment drain the CPU and Disk, the rest "wait in the wings" not contributing to the load.

hope this helps :)
well i have had my laptop for a bout 2 years now, but it is basically brand new because i take very good care of it. i might upgrade tho.

what do you mean print out my vsts/vstis? just not use them?

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:55 pm

LeoMANXVII wrote:
well i have had my laptop for a bout 2 years now, but it is basically brand new because i take very good care of it. i might upgrade tho.

Its not the age of your RAM, its just the amount. You will see a definate improvement if you put some more RAM in.

By "print" I mean render your VST/MIDI parts into AUDIO clips. Do you need to have the VSTi's "live" in order to tweak tweak them all? If you render some of these parts into audio clips you will definately reduce the load on your computer.

LeoMANXVII

Post by LeoMANXVII » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:58 pm

Pitch Black wrote:
LeoMANXVII wrote:

Its not the age of your RAM, its just the amount. You will see a definate improvement if you put some more RAM in.

By "print" I mean render your VST/MIDI parts into AUDIO clips. Do you need to have the VSTi's "live" in order to tweak tweak them all? If you render some of these parts into audio clips you will definately reduce the load on your computer.
i meant upgrading as getting more ram.. not like something stupid like OS or Model. lol.

but dude, what an amazing concept that is by rendering it to clips. the only draw back is i can't really mess with effects as i am performing.

but to print, [ i think i have done this before] . i would just have to set audio track one to 'receive' from whatever midi track i want to record right?
i've done that before. but is that what you mean? that should work fine ey?

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:08 pm

there are a couple of ways to render to your VSTi parts to audio

1. Solo the VST track and hit shift-control-R, you will be presented with a menu to record your clip to disk.

2. Set the input of another track (Audio From) to the VST track, and record straight into the clip slots.

3. Set the input of another track to "Resampling", solo the VST track and then record into the clip slote.

Yes you do lose some flexibility by "freeze-drying" MIDI parts as audio clips, BUT for live gigs, how many hands do you have and how many things do you need to tweak?

You can always record the VST parts to audio, and then still send them to FX that you can tweak live.

LeoMANXVII

Post by LeoMANXVII » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:13 pm

Pitch Black wrote:there are a couple of ways to render to your VSTi parts to audio

1. Solo the VST track and hit shift-control-R, you will be presented with a menu to record your clip to disk.

2. Set the input of another track (Audio From) to the VST track, and record straight into the clip slots.

3. Set the input of another track to "Resampling", solo the VST track and then record into the clip slote.

Yes you do lose some flexibility by "freeze-drying" MIDI parts as audio clips, BUT for live gigs, how many hands do you have and how many things do you need to tweak?

You can always record the VST parts to audio, and then still send them to FX that you can tweak live.
true. makes sense. but are you saying the comuputer uses less cpu for running audio tracks, rather then midi ones?
because if you are sasying i can still send them to vsts after i render what would be the point if i have em already as midi ones?