Live 5.2 beta is online!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
conny

Post by conny » Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:06 pm

Have not been deep into this beta yet but:

- It starts amazingly quicker then 5.0.3 -

and I'm happy with that so far.

// C
PC Laptop Acer, XP Home SP2, build in crappy sound card.
Bleeps and Blops!
http://bluemoose.greatnow.com/

supster

Post by supster » Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:37 pm

Machinate wrote:
supster wrote:interested in any improvment at all in basic copy/paste/duplicate moves in session and arrange

anything? im not all that hopeful but curious
Did you try it yet? I'm looking forward to hearing how your system fares.
no, havent had a chance yet today but based on a couple of posts im going to give it a try right now

--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com

djsynchro

Bug?

Post by djsynchro » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:33 pm

I have only 2 tracks running; a drum VST and an audioloop. Everytime I save Live asks "this will stop audio OK"? Live 5.03 just saves without stopping.

:?: :?: :?:

supster

Post by supster » Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:33 am

supster wrote:
Machinate wrote:
supster wrote:interested in any improvment at all in basic copy/paste/duplicate moves in session and arrange

anything? im not all that hopeful but curious
Did you try it yet? I'm looking forward to hearing how your system fares.
no, havent had a chance yet today but based on a couple of posts im going to give it a try right now

ok. did a brief test with a project im working on right now. i'll give some more detailed feedback in bug report forum later but:

about 20 audio channels in use - 4 or 8 bar clips, no VSTs active other than a few instances of Trackplug for EQ and compression. everything else in use are Live mix effects like Saturator and Utility.

this is the same project on the same system earlier today. everything identical but Im using the beta:

- yes it seems like its starting up faster from initial icon click. also, seemed much faster to load this project, which on 5.02 takes almost 5 minutes with a "white screen of death". it didnt really do that this time, it was faster

- amazingly ... definite improvement in the speed of the interface. everything seems to scroll smoother ... and ...

i do see an improvement in copy/duplicate/moves in session and arrange. conservatively (just offhand) about a 30 - 50% improvement just based on what ive seen.

mind you 50% of 10 seconds is still 5 seconds. but damned if they might be making some improvents to the buffering. fingers crossed it might get progressively better with each revision till 6

however:

- im getting more audio dropouts, and more extreme: audio drops out completely when the red harddisk light comes on, which is not really happening in 5.02.

also, still getting random lockups for no discernable reason, but they seem shorter in duration.

i will run a more thorough test with this a bit later, with complete system and project specs and time things against the clock then post it in the bugs forum

.[/i]
--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com

forge

Post by forge » Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:55 am

even wrote:
Machinate wrote:Even - that you are "interested" in how it works, but haven't tried it, right?
yes, exactly.

and i'm not gonna install a beta. :?
erm..why not? best chance you've got to make sure it works for you on your machine

forge

Post by forge » Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:49 am

supster wrote: i do see an improvement in copy/duplicate/moves in session and arrange. conservatively (just offhand) about a 30 - 50% improvement just based on what ive seen.

mind you 50% of 10 seconds is still 5 seconds. but damned if they might be making some improvents to the buffering. fingers crossed it might get progressively better with each revision till 6
I would agree - copy/paste of large amounts is quicker but still a little slow - I have to drag everything over then hover for a couple of seconds before it will be visible so I can see where I'm dragging to, then drag and that takes a few seconds to complete

but then I have and athlon 2200 which is about 3 years old now

netchaiev

Post by netchaiev » Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:38 am

Piett wrote:Just finished testing the new beta out on my Intel iMac.
Its really amaising i find, mind you im by no means a producer but i tried my best to load it as heavy as possible. Basically i had 8 clips going at the same time with every effect i could throw on, some plugins here and there and i didint manage to get it over 15%.
Im still gonna try some things out but as of yet im very happy with its performance.
The only thing that i find a bit odd, and im sure its just a minor bug, is that when ever i activate the metronome, it crashes the program.
Id like to know if anyone else driving a new mac is having this problem?

Il post some more info when i have time to test it out more thoroughly.
If theres anything you would like me to try out, just post it.
Please try the performance test by adam jay, we all wanna know the numbers!!!!
MBP 2011/i7/10.8/Live 8 Suite/M4L+Launchpad+TF+KorgNano.
http://soundcloud.com/netchaiev
http://www.vimeo.com/user408737

JJupiter

VST MIDI sidechain still not working?

Post by JJupiter » Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:54 am

Hi,

I recently purchased the WidiSoft audio2midi VST plug-in for Mac OS X. It does a rather decent job in trying to make a polyphonic audio input into a MIDI stream. The plug-in operates as an audio effect, so it passes through the audio as it comes in. It detects that the host (Ableton Live 5.2beta) can hold MIDI events. meaning so much as it delivers the generated MIDI back to the host. But, if I set-up a MIDI track 2 with a From of '1-Audio', no MIDI is coming in.

Please Abe's, could you look in to this?

Check: http://www.widisoft.com/

Cheers,
Joris

even

Post by even » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:03 am

i can't install the beta. well i can, but it won't start. well actually it does start :lol: and asks for a seraial, i enter the serial provided on the download page and then the thing asks me to unlock and says it's in demo mode. well, ok. i click cancel and live quits (crashes ?!) instantly.

waht teh fcuk?

Goran@Irrupt

Post by Goran@Irrupt » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:18 am

even wrote:i can't install the beta. well i can, but it won't start. well actually it does start :lol: and asks for a seraial, i enter the serial provided on the download page and then the thing asks me to unlock and says it's in demo mode. well, ok. i click cancel and live quits (crashes ?!) instantly.

waht teh fcuk?
is it possible that you're using a cracked copy of L5?
if you have a legit copy on your comp it wouldn't ask you for a serial at all.

w :!:
http://www.irrupt.com ? Irrupt Studios / A&R

Alex

Post by Alex » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:19 am

Hi even,

the version is in demo mode until you have it unlocked. After unlocking it immediately switches off the demo mode.

But the beta version can only be used when unlocked so when you "cancel" in the unlock dialog Live immediately quits.

regards,
/Alex

even

Post by even » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:35 am

Alex wrote:Hi even,

the version is in demo mode until you have it unlocked. After unlocking it immediately switches off the demo mode.
and how do i unlock it.

Alex

Post by Alex » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:53 am

Hi even
and how do i unlock it.
Does it not work with the beta serial from www.ableton.com/beta ?

regards,
/Alex

amo

Post by amo » Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:00 pm

even wrote: and how do i unlock it.
Have you not used the same routine for other Live versions ?
Once you entered the serial number, a challenge key is given. Then you can either unlock the program directly online, if the computer isconnected to the internet, or copy the challenge code to a file and get the response code from Ableton's website.
Hope I'm not wrong and the routine is the same as any other version, cause I didn't have to unlock the beta. Sorry if wrong :?

Kind regards,
amo
Live 5.0.3 - IBM Thinkpad R51 1.5ghz Centrino - 1,5 Go RAM - 7200 RPM 2nd HDD intern - RME Multiface - Windows XP Pro SP2

even

Post by even » Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:04 pm

Alex wrote:Hi even
and how do i unlock it.
Does it not work with the beta serial from www.ableton.com/beta ?

regards,
/Alex
it does work, but it needs an unlock code. do i use the one from live 5, the non beta, usual version?