performing with live- what do you actually do?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
kennerb

Post by kennerb » Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:22 pm

Hey Pitch Black didn't you have a link to one of your sites that showed your whole layout? At least I think I remember it being really insightful. Especially seeing as how you and Mike have worked everything out so smoothly. Oh and I want to see your flight case design again.
3ghz Pentium 4 (Prescott), XP Sp2, 1gig Ram, Dual Monitor with Matrox Millenium, MOTU Traveler, Event EZ8 Adat card. Also IBM THinkpad t40 1.6 1 gig ram

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:38 pm

Mike Goodwin wrote:
sweetjesus wrote:Global:
loop in/out
what exactly do you mean by this?
simply means i have two buttons on the bcr which when i select any clip, one of them will set a loop inpoint, and one will set a loop outpoint.

i also have a button to deactivate loops.

i may be playing a track on A and set up a 4 bar loop and bring in track on B and then tweak the 4 bar loop on A with delays and filters till it all gels in and beocmes one big soundscape. usually crossfade from A to B when B has an audio cue.

feyshay

Post by feyshay » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:53 pm

I do not perform live for anyone but friends, but here is how I see it. I have some templates set up, usually with about 10 tracks. I usually have a set song in mind (and have some plan in my head about how things will go). I will usually have 2 instances of BFD (drum tracks), two or three tracks running for vocal, 2 for acoustic guitar, two for electric guitar, and then a couple for any other instruments (Abynth, Reaktor, Kontakt, Guitar Rig).
Then I will generally lay down a soundscape and do the song on top of that. Because of resource limitations, I'll have a Send with a reverb, a Send with delay, and maybe one instance of Nitro. Then I'll compress the output. I use M-Audio 02, Trigger Finger, Behringer 1010 (foot midi control), and a whole bunch of guitar pedals.
I saw Feist. She did a great job of laying some nice looped background tracks using a MIDI foot controller. She then did her songs on top of that. Very nice.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:32 pm

I use a combination of sound-on-sound looping, Ableton Live midi looping, and free-form keyboard playing to lay down my tracks. I then use a lot of energy to deconstruct the loops, either through custom effects or by chopping up the loops in various ways.
I've recently started working on some backing sounds to throw in every once in a while, either ethereal ambient stuff or to-the-point pulses - kick loops, hard half-note basslines etc - all in a longish format with variations and such, more or less defining the structure of a track - IF I want the sound to take control; I can always let the improv take charge and overrule the ready-made structure, and that's an interactive part I really like - good vs. evil in every performance. I've yet to find the best way of working the two parts together - deep improvisational methods versus eviil pre-structure, but I'm getting there, I think.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

DJSK

Post by DJSK » Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:26 am

I have 6 audio tracks set up. The first 3 I have going to outs 1 & 2 of my sound card and the last 3 I have going to outs 3 & 4. It really depends on what style of music I play as to what I do. When I play progressive and alot of the deeper stuff I like to be constantly mixing and I have a lot of accapellas and effects loops that I like to add to the mix (I guess this makes me a fader pusher). When I play higher energy stuff I keep it more simple and do more track to track mixing. The fun part is challenging myself to mix two tracks together that normally wouldn't be musically possible if they were played on CD or Vinyl. Also what is really fun is syncing my EFX-1000 up to my sound card via midi. It's really cool doing Zabiela style feedback loops and always having them be on time while at the same time being able to scratch with vinyl over the mix.