Question about over dubbing?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
rjbaran

Question about over dubbing?

Post by rjbaran » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:55 pm

Maybe im not doing this correctly? I have a guitar track recorded. I want to record a second guitar riff on another track. To get the timing and everything done correctly I am using the punchin / punchout feature...it records fine on the new track but it like splits up the original track into 3 parts? why does this happen? am i going about this in the wrong way?

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:14 am

hmm. that might happen if you have a clip playing in session view on the original guitar track. that way, once record is active in the transport, any clip playing in session would get recorded to arrangement regardless of whether it's particular track record enable was activated or not.

(right?)

hope i'm understanding what you're saying.

gregmcnichol

Re: Question about over dubbing?

Post by gregmcnichol » Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:09 am

rjbaran wrote:Maybe im not doing this correctly? I have a guitar track recorded. I want to record a second guitar riff on another track. To get the timing and everything done correctly I am using the punchin / punchout feature...it records fine on the new track but it like splits up the original track into 3 parts? why does this happen? am i going about this in the wrong way?
what do u mean by punch in punch out feature to stay in time? I'v been forced to use a vst plugin to stay in time because live doesnt have a feature wherei can record multiple layers with the same time span
G4 iBook 1.25 gig RAM Tiger , Ableton Live 5, M-Audio Audiophiler Firewire, FCB1010