Ultimate DJ Template

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Goran@Irrupt

Post by Goran@Irrupt » Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:50 pm

The Phat Conductor wrote: if you sit and read what i posted, it is actually quite clear how to set it up, and it is a million years beyond the previously posted templates.
well phat, i wouldn't say so. your template looks superior when you put it on paper, but i honestly wouldn't bother to make it (nor use it). here's why:

- it's too complicated! i like my setup to be simple, but effective. saying that, i've listened to your whole set and i didn't hear a lot of things that i couldn't do with the template i posted.

- you said you have hundreds of loops, samples and whatnot already prepared, routed, automated... if i've had spend so much time preparing my set, believe me it would be ULTIMATE. i don't have that much of free time. have to make music as well. :wink:

- by listening to your set i realized one more thing - i didn't like the music you played. and now what? should i say "hey, that trick he did on that song was awesome!?" don't think so. i think i would leave the party.

so, good music on the first place - then easy setup - then tricks.

i didn't have an attention to offend you or anything (i'm really sorry if i did).
it was supa-cool that you (and others) posted your tricks, that's why i started this tread at the first place.

next template please :arrow:

w :!:
http://www.irrupt.com ? Irrupt Studios / A&R

The Phat Conductor

Post by The Phat Conductor » Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:22 pm

i'm not offended, but i would like to respond.

1. YOU were the one claiming yours to be 'ultimate' not me. sorry you think it's too 'complicated' for you to try out, but the fact is: i have it routed to be dead easy to control from a trigger finger and a uc-33, which is what i use. it's too bad that you can't figure out how this setup could be simply controlled, but can be.

2. just because you can't hear what i was doing live, doesn't mean it's not happening. many of the 'remixes' are made out of three or four tracks with heavy use of scenes and programmed automation. it may sound like one 'track' but it's not. there is much more than just DJing going on here, and it is designed to be clean and relatively unnoticeable. the Beck, Nine Inch Nails, Parliament, James Brown, and Tower of Power 'remixes' are all made in this way. the fact that you can't 'hear the difference' just proves that it was effective.

3. did i say you have to like my music? i play funky glitched out genre sluttage that flies in the face of many DJ conventions, it's not for everyone. i also provided it for free, so feel free to ask for your money back.

4. i don't spend all day programming this template, i do it in my free time, usually on the plane or at a promoter's house when i'm waiting for the event to roll around. i posted it because i was SHOCKED by how boring the posted 'ULTIMATE DJ TEMPLATE' was. i was hoping that someone else would be able to come forwards and show ME something, but that hasn't happened. this setup wasn't at all difficult or time consuming to program, so I thought it a fairly safe assumption that someone else would have something better... I wasn't posting it to stroke me own cock, i posted it to stimulate discussion and keep the forum moving forwards. I didn't think that was worthy of any online hate, but i guess i was wrong...

Goran@Irrupt

Post by Goran@Irrupt » Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:28 pm

The Phat Conductor wrote:I wasn't posting it to stroke me own cock, i posted it to stimulate discussion and keep the forum moving forwards. I didn't think that was worthy of any online hate, but i guess i was wrong...
now, you are exaggerating.

Goran@Irrupt

Post by Goran@Irrupt » Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:33 pm

i'm sorry i didn't put a "wink" smiley at the end of my topic subject, but it was a bit of a joke. of course i was aware that there are more complex templates out there. i posted this one, because it's quite basic and still very efficient. i also asked people to upgrade it at their own will and tp post their results. didn't i?
there's no hate bro'. 8)

The Phat Conductor

Post by The Phat Conductor » Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:48 pm

WebSite! wrote:
The Phat Conductor wrote:I wasn't posting it to stroke me own cock, i posted it to stimulate discussion and keep the forum moving forwards. I didn't think that was worthy of any online hate, but i guess i was wrong...
now, you are exaggerating.

am i?

i posted some very relevant and useful tips, and then you come and tell me i play bad music and that my setup is all tricks and no substance, and then that other dude whines because i didn't hold his hand through every step of the process. no winky face is going to take the edge off of that.

i stand by my statements.

Goran@Irrupt

Post by Goran@Irrupt » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:01 pm

The Phat Conductor wrote: am i?

i posted some very relevant and useful tips, and then you come and tell me i play bad music and that my setup is all tricks and no substance,
well, i'm sorry, but it wouldn't be the first time i didn't like someone's dj set.
i've never said your set was all tricks and i said thanks (a couple of times) to you for posting yours method of work. there was no sarcasm out there.

Tyrant

Post by Tyrant » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:23 pm

:roll:
P4 3.2 ghz 1gb ram,160gb system hd,80gb audio hd,M-Audio AudioPhile 24/96,M-Audio Delta 1010 LT,M-Audio Radium 49,M-Audio Trigger Finger,Uc 16,Roland MC 303,Beringer EuroRack UB1622FX Pro,Alesis Monitor 1 MK2

Tyrant

Post by Tyrant » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:26 pm

The Phat Conductor wrote:
they are my secrets, and i figured them out myself so i can do what i like with them. you should be happy that i have shared as much as i have. if you want the rest of the story you'll just have to come see me live, or ask me to tutor you.

besides, it would be totally lame if everyone was biting my ableton routing and spoiling all my tricks by doing them badly.

if you're really stuck, send me an email.

<3 ;)
You should write a book
P4 3.2 ghz 1gb ram,160gb system hd,80gb audio hd,M-Audio AudioPhile 24/96,M-Audio Delta 1010 LT,M-Audio Radium 49,M-Audio Trigger Finger,Uc 16,Roland MC 303,Beringer EuroRack UB1622FX Pro,Alesis Monitor 1 MK2

zsaba

fill ins

Post by zsaba » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:44 pm

Hi Guys!

I've downloaded the template and it looks impressive. What more impressive is that on the impulse track when I pressed any of the fill clips thew were linked to the clip next to them. Is there a command which does that?
RME Multiface; Toshiba Satellite P30(Pentium4 3.33Ghz) for now...

Goran@Irrupt

Post by Goran@Irrupt » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:48 pm

just good old "follow actions". :wink:

Nixon

Post by Nixon » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:49 am

:roll:
tyrant gives a wonderfull example here of "simple, yet effective" kids

Patch

Post by Patch » Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:02 am

There was a time when DJ's used to sort out their differences with a battle:

Website! Vs The Phat Conductor

I know who my mony is on. (You ain't got this shit in your crate...)

Old School.

Nav

Post by Nav » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:25 pm

Well I'm greatful for ALL suggestions

Phat your set is admirable and im totally changing they way I work based on your inventiveness!

Even gonna get me a triggerfinger

Thanks man

The Phat Conductor

Post by The Phat Conductor » Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:40 pm

word.

glad you guys appreciate the assistance. sorry i got so bitchy yesterday.

EgAD

Post by EgAD » Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:52 pm

phat conductor whats your local? and thanks for sharing