Macbook pro or other laptop

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Musicsoul

Macbook pro or other laptop

Post by Musicsoul » Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:16 pm

I have a dilemma:

i need a new laptop and i can't figure out witch one i'm gonna buy.
My budget reaches 3200 euro's that means that i can buy a macbook pro 1,83 with all the high specs (2 gig ram, 7200rpm hd etc).

But i can also buy a ibook or powerbook or a dell laptop.

i need some help.

if i buy a cheaper one i can buy somethings next to it (new software, trigger finger etc.) but is a ibook fast enough for live, logic, reason and absynth running at the same time).
help
Macbook Pro & Live

sqook

Post by sqook » Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:32 pm

Don't buy a dell laptop. Hell, PC laptops can be great, just not ones from them. :)

As far as the macbook thing goes, I'd advise waiting until the next generation. Whenever a new product is released, it's always wise to wait a bit for the market to catch up with it. If you're really eager to blow some cash on new gear, I'd advise going with a sturdy PC laptop, like the IBM thinkpads. It is possible (though not certain) that you may be able to run OSX on it at some later point in time anyways. Unfortunately, it's just not a great time to buy a mac, really.

maxbaun

Post by maxbaun » Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:55 pm

Yo man. Def stick with Apple. They are soo reliable not just for music. Anywho, i have a 1.67 powerbook 15" (the newest model) and all i can say that it is perfect. Don't go with an iBook, i ditched mine to get a 15" powerbook. I run Reason and Ableton at the same time and i'm having no problems. I'm upgrading the RAM to make it even better too. The MacBooks sound cool, but the powerbooks are the computers that Ableton/Reason were built for. Powerbooks have undergone performance tests and performance tests and everytime they pass by far. I believe it is the most reliable and most useful machine that is out there. I would be a little skeptical about the newer computers because they have not undergone serious work by huge producers. If you ask any of the DJs out there who are going digital, they are most likely using a Powerbook (except Sasha who is paid to use that iMac G5 because it attracts the eyes of the crowd and makes people want to buy it). So yea, my word is go for the powerbook 15". Probably the most reliable out there, plus, i used to get sooo many viruses on my PC and now on my Powerbook i have ZERO. Powerbook all the way man. Let me know if this helped at all.

subterFUSE

Post by subterFUSE » Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:05 am

The MacBooks sound cool, but the powerbooks are the computers that Ableton/Reason were built for. Powerbooks have undergone performance tests and performance tests and everytime they pass by far. I believe it is the most reliable and most useful machine that is out there. I would be a little skeptical about the newer computers because they have not undergone serious work by huge producers. If you ask any of the DJs out there who are going digital, they are most likely using a Powerbook (except Sasha who is paid to use that iMac G5 because it attracts the eyes of the crowd and makes people want to buy it). So yea, my word is go for the powerbook 15". Probably the most reliable out there, plus, i used to get sooo many viruses on my PC and now on my Powerbook i have ZERO. Powerbook all the way man. Let me know if this helped at all.

I've got to go 100% the other way. Don't even CONSIDER a PowerBook. If you want an Apple, get a MacBook.

The PowerBook is horribly underpowered by todays standards. Hell, it was underpowered 4 years ago. They are in the process of being phased out, so if you buy one.... it might be harder to get service later on, as Apple moves on to Intel for all their computers over the next year.

To my knowledge, Sasha is not being paid to use the iMac. He is using the iMac because he wanted the power boost given by switching to the G5 processor. He found the G4 to be underpowered for what he felt comfortable with. And he has said so in interviews.

Performance tests? On the powerbook? They all have shown that the PowerBook is not up to par with the PC competition when running Live 5.0
M-Tech D900T laptop, 17" WSXGA+ wide-screen, Intel Pentium 4 3.4 GHz HT (600 series) 2 MB cache, 2048 RAM (Dual Channel DDR2 PC4200 533 MHz), Dual hard drives: 80 gig x 2 = 160 gig SATA 5400 rpm (RAID 0 config)
Korg Zero 8 mixer/soundcard/MIDI

maxbaun

Post by maxbaun » Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:21 am

Yo man. Def stick with Apple. They are soo reliable not just for music. Anywho, i have a 1.67 powerbook 15" (the newest model) and all i can say that it is perfect. Don't go with an iBook, i ditched mine to get a 15" powerbook. I run Reason and Ableton at the same time and i'm having no problems. I'm upgrading the RAM to make it even better too. The MacBooks sound cool, but the powerbooks are the computers that Ableton/Reason were built for. Powerbooks have undergone performance tests and performance tests and everytime they pass by far. I believe it is the most reliable and most useful machine that is out there. I would be a little skeptical about the newer computers because they have not undergone serious work by huge producers. If you ask any of the DJs out there who are going digital, they are most likely using a Powerbook (except Sasha who is paid to use that iMac G5 because it attracts the eyes of the crowd and makes people want to buy it). So yea, my word is go for the powerbook 15". Probably the most reliable out there, plus, i used to get sooo many viruses on my PC and now on my Powerbook i have ZERO. Powerbook all the way man. Let me know if this helped at all.

subterFUSE

Post by subterFUSE » Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:06 am

:lol:
M-Tech D900T laptop, 17" WSXGA+ wide-screen, Intel Pentium 4 3.4 GHz HT (600 series) 2 MB cache, 2048 RAM (Dual Channel DDR2 PC4200 533 MHz), Dual hard drives: 80 gig x 2 = 160 gig SATA 5400 rpm (RAID 0 config)

forge

Post by forge » Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:26 am

tell ya what, If I had the cash right now and was looking for a laptop there'd be no question I'd get the macbook

I'm on PC now and had to leave the mac loop a long time ago because they were asking too much money for piss poor performance, but now Ableton has announced the new binary really soon that's good enough for me, I could live without other plugs while they catch up, but I would jump at the chance to get one

DJSK

Post by DJSK » Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:29 am

If you can wait till february then get a macbook pro. By the time they start shipping in mid february Live 5.2 will be out as well. Don't bother with a powerbook cause you won't get your moneys worth. They are being phased out anyways. You can always get a nice PC laptop now that will do you just fine but I personally prefer OSX over Windows XP. Atleast when it comes to running audio software. It's all about preference really though.

Musicsoul

Post by Musicsoul » Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:31 am

it is realy a hard choice, and yeah you all help me by posting your opinions. so thanks for the reactions.

i'm gonna think it trough, more reactions are always welcome.
Macbook Pro & Live

andrewlogan

Post by andrewlogan » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:34 am

Get the macbook, with the 7200RPM 100GB hard drive, 1 Gig of ram in one slot (you can buy another gig from another dealer cheaper than apple later on if you need to) then spend what's left over on a kickin live bundle!

inis

Post by inis » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:38 am

subterFUSE wrote:
The MacBooks sound cool, but the powerbooks are the computers that Ableton/Reason were built for. Powerbooks have undergone performance tests and performance tests and everytime they pass by far. I believe it is the most reliable and most useful machine that is out there. I would be a little skeptical about the newer computers because they have not undergone serious work by huge producers. If you ask any of the DJs out there who are going digital, they are most likely using a Powerbook (except Sasha who is paid to use that iMac G5 because it attracts the eyes of the crowd and makes people want to buy it). So yea, my word is go for the powerbook 15". Probably the most reliable out there, plus, i used to get sooo many viruses on my PC and now on my Powerbook i have ZERO. Powerbook all the way man. Let me know if this helped at all.

I've got to go 100% the other way. Don't even CONSIDER a PowerBook. If you want an Apple, get a MacBook.

The PowerBook is horribly underpowered by todays standards. Hell, it was underpowered 4 years ago. They are in the process of being phased out, so if you buy one.... it might be harder to get service later on, as Apple moves on to Intel for all their computers over the next year.

To my knowledge, Sasha is not being paid to use the iMac. He is using the iMac because he wanted the power boost given by switching to the G5 processor. He found the G4 to be underpowered for what he felt comfortable with. And he has said so in interviews.

Performance tests? On the powerbook? They all have shown that the PowerBook is not up to par with the PC competition when running Live 5.0
First of all, if the current powerbook was around 4 years ago, it would have destroyed every computer in the world. dont exagerate.

Apple will not stop support on these kinds of machines for at least 5 years. And not completely drop them for another 10. Dont worrry about that. The whole next year is just transition.

Sasha does not always perform with an iMac. Ive seen him twice in the last 6 months using a powerbook.

sidownes

Post by sidownes » Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:50 pm

Sasha does not always perform with an iMac. Ive seen him twice in the last 6 months using a powerbook.
You've been to see Sasha twice in the space of 6 months?!? 8O
http://www.thesoundofyoungamerica.com
http://www.myspace.com/soundofyoungamerica

MacBook Pro, guitars, Live Suite 8.2, launchpad, iphone

studio615

Post by studio615 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:03 pm

Enough with the apple/pc fighting. It's been beat to death way too long. Both platforms are good. I personally own a powerbook, latest rev, and it works great, I'm upgrading to a 7200rpm drive, that should make it smoke. I have a new r52 ibm thinkpad at work and live runs good now on it also. I had problems with it originaly but it runs good now. If you are a novice computer guy, go with mac. If you really know what you are doing with pc, you can get more for less dough with pc. depends on what you really want. If you can wait a little longer, the macbook pro with really rock, but it will take you a while to get everything to run on it. I would go to the store when they come out and bring a disc of the 5.2 demo when it comes out, and a big project to load. See what performs what you want it to do. And if the salesman give you problems, flash your money at 'em. They will change their tune real quick. I wouldn't drop $3000 without testing what you are buying first. Good luck.

subterFUSE

Post by subterFUSE » Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:30 pm

This isn't a PC vs. Mac thread.

It's a PowerBook vs. MacBook thread.

I don't see how anyone here can be trying to argue that this guy should get a PwerBook instead of a MacBook.

Sure, the MacBook is new and the software has not yet caught up to it.... but in a short time, once the software updates arrive... there won't be any question.

If you buy a MacBook, you are buying a longer-term investment. A PwerBook is already heading out the door.... it is foolish to spend money on hopelessly outdated technology when the future of Apple is sitting right under our noses.

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:49 pm

All I can say is this. I just used my Powerbook for about 22 hours straight, after an intense week of working with it at all hours... and it was an absolute pleasure.

As soon as the MacBook Pro is up to speed I'm thinking I might ditch the G5 and the PB and buy me one of those things.

It's just the coolest gadget of them all.