Post your BROKEN system here!

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
djsynchro

Post your BROKEN system here!

Post by djsynchro » Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:40 pm

If you are experiencing problems running Ableton Live on your system please post it in here with all the details. This will serve the following purposes:

A: Someone might know the solution to your problem!

B: It will be useful for all of us to see what kind of setups are causing people problems.

C: As the thread grows it might become apparent that certain hardware devices or software plugins cause more problems than others. It would help Ableton to pinpoint these items and work towards a solution.

Please stay ON TOPIC. Let's try and be objective. Stay with the facts and be as detailed as you can.

Before you post your system please make sure to do the following:

I: If you didn't do this already, run AdamJay's Live performance test, and then compare your setup to a similar system, to determine what sort of performance you can realistically expect. If someone else has got a very similar system to yours, and is getting much better performance, obviously something is wrong.

II: If you didn't do this already, do all "speed tweaks" on your system. For Windows XP users, do the tweaks on www.musicxp.net
Users on both platforms should have laptops set to "always on" and disable processor speedstepping if possible.

III: If you didn't do this already strip down your system to only run Live.
That means: Disabling all third-party plugins, and programs running in the background that are not essential.

Here is what you should post:

1: Laptop/Desktop? Make and model.

2: All internal peripherals you added. (RAM upgrades, drives) make, model, firmware & driver version if you know them.

3: All external peripherals (external soundcards, MIDI contollers), how they are connected (USB/FireWire) firmware & driver versions.

4: Describe the problems you are experiencing, and everything you've tried so far that didn't solve them. For example : "Audio dropouts, upgraded memory to 1Gig of RAM, did not solve it"

5: (optional) Performance % with AdamJay's Live performance tests.

Let's see if we can help each other out finding some real solutions!
Last edited by djsynchro on Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nixon

Post by Nixon » Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:45 am

Your system ain't broken? :wink:

If this might help me get any stable performance, I will help...

12" 1.5ghz powerbook 512 ram, 60gb hd (5400 rpm), osx 10.4.4
edirol fa-66
live 5.03
bcf2000
uc33e
trigger finger

audio dropouts with cpu spikes, live crashing totally (and regurarly)

henry ford

Re: Post your BROKEN system here!

Post by henry ford » Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:04 am

djsynchro wrote: 4: Describe the problems you are experiencing, and everything you've tried so far to solve them. For example : "Audio dropouts, upgraded memory to 1Gig of RAM, didn't solve it"
i experience the dropouts without pushing live in anyway (a 1 bar audio loop, playing at its original tempo and not in complex warp mode , or one instance of spectrasonics trilogy with a simple 4 bar midi clip, experiencing audio pops and clicks even after freezing the track.). therefore, thats no solution - not even a hypothetical one

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:23 am

Henry, the idea is to list each and every component of your system, including driver & firmware versions, & everything that is connected to it, and how, instead of just describing a symptom.

The problem is that users describe their system either as "good" or "bad" we need to get some very detailed descriptions of systems this way there is a better chance that someone will know a fix for a certain problem.

Cheers.

henry ford

Post by henry ford » Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:26 am

i get the idea, but the idea is redundant as I've already posted on this issue, on threads regarding this issue, in this - the bugs and problems - forum. really, what you are doing is like setting up a bugs and problems thread within a bugs and problems thread. We've all posted our specs many times, in the context of specific problems....all the facts and figures are there for the abes to see.

laptop, audio tweaked.
xp pro sp2
sony vaio grx516sp, 512mb ram, 10gig of free space on live;s temp drive. 2ghz pentium 4, firewire audiophile maudio interface. (promoted by ableton for use with ableton live)

periphs include....some faderfox lv1's an lx1 too, nord micro modular, an edirol um1x (its a usb midi interface , 1 in 1 out) kenton control freak studio edition and live edition , a cmeuf5 midi keyboard.

the um1x in and out are both used to interface with the micro modulars patch editor , everything else goes through the maudio happilly.

all problems i have experienced todate have had absolutely no relation to the spec of my machine, as these problems manifest using the simplest of sets with live5. and while one version of 5 could host many vsts but with poor midi timing, or truncating clips, but no audio glithces live 5.03 starts spitting and popping no matter what. not to mention I've used previous versions of live pushing it to its limits. i have experienced that and know what its like, so I realise whats possible and whats not.

at first it was the ;uneven loops//on the fly looping; problem whereby live would truncate clips by a note,
then it was the midi timing,
then and still it is audio glitching.

5.03 seemingly corrupted older versions of 5 causing them to audio glitch, whereas they never did before.

Im using the latest maudio driver.

recently i have noticed some other bugs, which I havent cared to test out, cos im bleedin sick of it, ....such as when i record a clip from one audio track to another , monitor off, when i stop the new clip its the correct length , but when i reverse it - its truncated by a note. i;ve had to start locking the end warp marker as a 'work around' -spit- , ....quadfromaghe is having trouble autobinding to parameters whereas it never has before. the last change i made was updating my maudio driver. which helped with -some- audio glitches. also ive just noticed that trilogy is popping and clicking, where it hasnt before 5.03 ..... these are problems i havent posted new threads about, because id rather troubleshoot it first before posting, so that my initial post should put to rest all 'it must be your cpu' type theories. i havent done this yet because im tired of doing this. maybe ill do it after i rearrange my room and make my setup more comfortable - its set up in a way that if live works right, its good...but the more i have to use the mouse the more it hurts my shoulders from awkward leaning, and the more i get annoyed....anyways , sorry to ramble.....if you need any more specs just let me know

oh , and my cpu is low low so low, 8% and experiencing the shitty artifacts.

peeddrroo

Post by peeddrroo » Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:22 am

first of all, i think it's a good idea to focus on the system itself to try to find if there is something in common to all the people that experience troubles with Live.

henry: i know it must be painful, but have you considered (or even tried) to do a clean install of your whole system? sometimes it is necessary. you have a P4 at 2GHz, meaning you must have had your machine for quite some time. i think i would try it if i where you. backup everything, reformat, clean install.
something else: 512MB of RAM to run stuff like Trilogy seems a bit light to me. plus if you have some clips set on RAM mode, i wouldn't be surprised you experience glitches (not on rendering though).
last thing (that you obviously don't want to hear): the fact that m-audio advertises its products along with Live is pure marketing. it doesn't mean that the products are going to work perfectly hand in hand. especially since both of them rely on the performance of your computer. don't fool yourself on this one.

ok, sorry for hijacking this thread. keep on posting specs, several brains is better than one.

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:18 pm

Henry,

I was thinking clean install too. Pain in the ass (I know I have done so many I lost count)

I would do this:

- Backup all data.

- New install of XP when you get to the bit where you format the hard disk do the slow format option.

- If you know how to do partitions, at least two. If you make two for example (C & D) put Windows on D and put your data on C! The System partition sits on the outside of the HD so programs load faster, but that is where you should put your audio data.

- All musicxp.net speed tweaks.

- Install ONLY Live & the Audio interface. (no plugins, no Midi interface)
It has got to run "bare bones" first to see where the problem is.
Test it with dragging in clips reverbs, Live performance test etc.

Now: It will either work, or it won't. Which will bring us to the next step.
Let me know!

henry ford

Post by henry ford » Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:26 pm

peedro, 512mb is not light to run trilogy, its worked like a dream in conjunction with many other cpu intensive vsts and plugins on both live 4 , and previous versions of live5 (albeit with other problems caused by live5 but not audio glithces) and now 5.03 has introduced audio glitch problems which, for the illionth time are not caused by heavy cpu issues.

god damnit, its not the cpu. the glitches manifest playing a simple audio loop with no warping.

as for a clean install, not an option as this laptop needs an internal cdrom to do a reinstallation...which I dont have available to me. besides, ive used this setup with live 4, through to live5.03 without changing or adding any extra plugins, (or new software) having pushed the machine to its limits so i understand where the limits lay. Ive know when the problem is software induced or not. Cant you take my word on this, after I've said it a thousand times ? Im not a newbie with 1 post to my name.

And I know now, only too painfully, that the maudio and ableton thing is marketing, never the less....it is binding in some way, to AT LEAST rectify any issues that may be the fault of maudio's hardware. It doesnt make me any less irate, not now on the 22nd of january 2006. I wouldnt have bought the maudio interface if it wasnt for their marketing partnership. but who knows if thats the case, it would be impossible to get an honest answer from ableton on this for the record. other than cut-and-pasting comments from maudio's website

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:26 pm

henry ford wrote: as for a clean install, not an option as this laptop needs an internal cdrom to do a reinstallation...which I dont have available to me.
I am sorry but what is this? What if your hard disk crashes? You have to be able to do a reinstall. On my last computer I would reinstall window every 2 months or so (the option where it doesn't wipe everything) Windows is a pretty crappy it always runs better after that. I have done so many complete formats in my life I lost count.

In your case it's what I would do, complete reinstall of Windows, do all speed tweaks, install Live, soundcard, nothing else. Then if you've problems, uninstall the soundcard wrap the internal soundcard in ASIO4ALL and see if that works OK.

You can't sit there and have a system with XP that wasn't reinstalled since ages with a bundle of things attached to it and 3rd party plugs on it and say that Live is not working. I'm not saying you're wrong, I am just saying you have no way of knowing that.
Last edited by djsynchro on Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

gomi

Post by gomi » Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:42 pm

Nixon wrote:Your system ain't broken? :wink:

If this might help me get any stable performance, I will help...

12" 1.5ghz powerbook 512 ram, 60gb hd (5400 rpm), osx 10.4.4
edirol fa-66
live 5.03
bcf2000
uc33e
trigger finger

audio dropouts with cpu spikes, live crashing totally (and regurarly)
i have the same powerbook but with 1.25 GB ram
and no bcf2000 (same other stuff though)
mine works fine.

Nixon

Post by Nixon » Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:44 pm

My first available euro's will be going into ram...Nice setup!

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:51 pm

Hey Nixon, maybe you should try uninstalling the BCF just to be sure but upgrading the RAM sure sounds like it could be worth trying :D

henry ford

Post by henry ford » Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:22 pm

djsynchro wrote:
henry ford wrote: as for a clean install, not an option as this laptop needs an internal cdrom to do a reinstallation...which I dont have available to me.
I am sorry but what is this? What if your hard disk crashes? You have to be able to do a reinstall. On my last computer I would reinstall window every 2 months or so (the option where it doesn't wipe everything) Windows is a pretty crappy it always runs better after that. I have done so many complete formats in my life I lost count.

In your case it's what I would do, complete reinstall of Windows, do all speed tweaks, install Live, soundcard, nothing else. Then if you've problems, uninstall the soundcard wrap the internal soundcard in ASIO4ALL and see if that works OK.

You can't sit there and have a system with XP that wasn't reinstalled since ages with a bundle of things attached to it and 3rd party plugs on it and say that Live is not working. I'm not saying you're wrong, I am just saying you have no way of knowing that.
ugh, yes I can. Nothings changed since the last install. Only live has been upgraded. I have not bought any new plugs since the last time. Typical response by the way.

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:19 pm

Sure.
Cool.