!!!Live 6!!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Kodama

!!!Live 6!!!

Post by Kodama » Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:46 pm

How fast will it crash?

How much will it cost?

What will it do?

Will Simpler have LFOs that sync?

Will annoying trance djs and the people who write threads about them use it?

8O
GO VEGAN!!! - Macbook Air, Bass Station II, Some Korg shit, Live Suite, U-He, Audio Damage, Microtonic, Ohmicide, more soft stuffs, awesome controllers, euro rack modular synth,an awesome cat.

supster

Re: !!!Live 6!!!

Post by supster » Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:13 pm

How fast will it crash?
probably as fast as you are ever going to need it to.
How much will it cost?
it will either pay off huge in endless hours of productivity and joy, or will cost you endless hours of pain and frustration

we'll see
What will it do?
see above :)

Will Simpler have LFOs that sync?
lets see if we get a session view that syncs properly again.

then LFOs that sync will be nothing but a welcome bonus
Will annoying trance djs and the people who write threads about them use it?
:lol:

--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com

kennerb

Post by kennerb » Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:14 pm

Personally I was not to excited to see Live 5.2 or 6 without first seeing the current show stoppers fixed. get me back on the one then I'll get my pom poms.
3ghz Pentium 4 (Prescott), XP Sp2, 1gig Ram, Dual Monitor with Matrox Millenium, MOTU Traveler, Event EZ8 Adat card. Also IBM THinkpad t40 1.6 1 gig ram

supster

Post by supster » Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:15 pm

kennerb wrote:Personally I was not to excited to see Live 5.2 or 6 without first seeing the current show stoppers fixed. get me back on the one then I'll get my pom poms.
werd
--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com

the8bitdeity

Post by the8bitdeity » Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:18 pm

kennerb wrote:Personally I was not to excited to see Live 5.2 or 6 without first seeing the current show stoppers fixed. get me back on the one then I'll get my pom poms.
Um, wasn't 5.2 billed as a bug fix release? That's what was implied in the press release....
iBook G4 1Ghz w 768 mB RAM, internal Audio
OS 10.4.1

jamesp

Post by jamesp » Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:24 pm

Right, bugs get fixed in Febuary. Crossing my fingers!

gaspode

Post by gaspode » Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:24 pm

It kind of sounded like there would be performance enhancements in both as well... hopefully we'll see higher performance and more stability all the way around. And maybe a new undisclosed synth... like a physical modeller or something to sit beside operator :)

solovox

Post by solovox » Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:29 pm

I already stated my case much like this here:

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32691
Live Show Rig: MacBook Pro, 2.3ghz Intel i7, 16GB RAM, Motu Ultralite

Desktop Rig: 8 core Xeon, 20 gig RAM, RAID 0 drives, Zoom LiveTrak L-8, Windows 10

serotoninsteve

Post by serotoninsteve » Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:39 pm

Perhaps Live 6 will be a good thing, perhaps they write it new from scratch up! With the knowledge they have now, knowing about the problems they got with the L5 release (wich wasn´t the luckiest one I think, but it also was the completest (PDC) with alot of new features wich interacted more unlogical (nudge/scrub/FOD) than it could be expected before it was ready.
There where a lot of fixes nessessary after the release wich where perhaps more workarounds as real fixes. I think it´s complete enough for now to compete with other DAW´s, it´s time now to get better workflows (scrollwheel zooming,arrangement performance and the rightclick menus) and a lot of little improvements, perhaps video support (as a payable plugin would make sense) and really what we need is more real live feedback (something like the Livearrangement perhaps? :wink:) without mousing around.

Greetings

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:57 pm

It's -so so so- frustrating with them announcing a release date for Live 6 when a big majority of us are still having pains with Live 5. Not little pains either, but showstoppers.

Why put resources on a whole new version when those resources could be put to use on fixing existing software?! Why not fix the existing bugs twice as fast with a big development team instead of having another team working on 6.

I wonder if Live 6 will finally push Live into the bloatware territory....

linzatti

Re: !!!Live 6!!!

Post by linzatti » Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:13 pm

Kodama wrote: Will annoying trance djs and the people who write threads about them use it?

8O
Hahah. Hopefully, trance dj´s won´t use it. Nor use anyhting.

kennerb

Post by kennerb » Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:21 pm

the8bitdeity wrote:
Um, wasn't 5.2 billed as a bug fix release? That's what was implied in the press release....

Yeah your right. When I went through and scoured the text I did see that. The initial image Image Turned me off because it did not appear to apply to me at all.

I just bought 5 in the end of Dec so it is jilting for me to see a product that has the issues that it does offer a new version so soon.

I won't be making the same mistake with six. Dang I just wanted an arp and operator was a deal at the time. Dang. dang dang
3ghz Pentium 4 (Prescott), XP Sp2, 1gig Ram, Dual Monitor with Matrox Millenium, MOTU Traveler, Event EZ8 Adat card. Also IBM THinkpad t40 1.6 1 gig ram

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:44 pm

You guys are so behind...
I've been using the Live 6.0b for like 3 months now.

And it fucking rocks.

No crashes on my MacBook. NONE.
And with three instances of KLC open, and two Impulses, complicated routing, and a bunch of filter reverbs and reduxes, it barely goes over 8% CPU.

amo

Post by amo » Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:51 pm

serotoninsteve wrote:perhaps video support (as a payable plugin would make sense)
Isn't this ugly little one enough ? :) It's free !

http://groc.org/movieplayer
Live 5.0.3 - IBM Thinkpad R51 1.5ghz Centrino - 1,5 Go RAM - 7200 RPM 2nd HDD intern - RME Multiface - Windows XP Pro SP2

serotoninsteve

Post by serotoninsteve » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:53 am

amo wrote:
serotoninsteve wrote:perhaps video support (as a payable plugin would make sense)
Isn't this ugly little one enough ? :) It's free !

http://groc.org/movieplayer
It´s ugly enough! :lol:
No serious, I have no use for video support now, so no idea how it looks, but it was simply one of the future features I´ve had in mind while writing.
But really, for most of the users L5 seems to work, thats why I think it´s better if we get a whole new L6 instead of a never completely fixeable 5.5.
I´m sorry, but if they could fix the shit in 5 wich is going on for some users they would certainly do it, but they can´t.
Other issues, like more performance orientated problems (like arrangement lagtime) should be on top of the list for L6.

Greetings