fine-tuning volume envelope breakpoints.

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
bitesize

fine-tuning volume envelope breakpoints.

Post by bitesize » Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:20 pm

i'm gonna repost this problem cos it got lost in another thread, and i'm sure i can't be the only one who's bugged by this...

volume envelope breakpoints - in arrangement view, bring up the volume envelope, double-click to create a breakpoint + it'll create at 0.2 or -0.2, then you'll have to ctrl-drag to fine-tune it to zero. why will it not create a breakpoint on 0.0? it's the same if you want to create one + drag it to, say, -6 dB. you'll only be able to drag it to -5.9 or -6.2 with coarse dragging, to get it bang on -6 you'll have to fine-tune. this really bugs me. i just can't see why it is like it is... surely it would be a hell of a lot easier for everyone if it created breakpoints + moved them in (for example) quarter-dB increments, unless you were fine-tuning?

it's the same with all other envelope breakpoints as well - tempo, aux sends etc. i seem to spend the majority of my mixing time ctrl-dragging breakpoints up + down to try + get them to a round number...
Last edited by bitesize on Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

bitesize

Post by bitesize » Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:11 am

well, as it turns out, i am the only one who's bothered by this...

or does it not happen to anyone else?

justin

Post by justin » Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:13 pm

dont worry ur not the only one!

i would like to see an improvement in the automation / envelopes:
bezier curves and snap to log (0, -3, -6, -12 dB)amplitude as opposed to some dodgy linear mapping which doesnt quite get to the value u want unless u zoom in then adjust.

i like bezier curves cos u can get different dynamics //
ok u can sorta draw / record it in as is, but its far from ideal when it comes to editing.

also, last time i checked i couldnt copy + paste automation in arrange view?
i mean just copying automation not the clip data...

network.funky

Post by network.funky » Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:41 pm

i just want to be able to type the value in at the breakpoint.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Windows XP 5.1.2600 Service Pack 1 : 3.2Ghz Intel Processor : 2GB RAM
Emu1820m : EZ Bus : Yamaha SY35 : most of Linplug's offerings : Stylus RMX
Amiga A500 : AMAS : TurboSound

supster

Post by supster » Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:32 pm

no, its been brought up many times before. i agree

breakpoints the way they are are a good start, and workable up to a point, but are still more than a bit finicky to get the right values

especially with the arrange grid performance the way it is .. at best theres a stickiness or delay much of the time, at worst its impossible to hit the mark.

i dont know if this is a bug, an oversight, or a feature request but i agree with you - values should move in equal increments unless you modifyer key them.

who wants a volume value of say, + .02 ? which seems to come up way more often than 0.
--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com

SLEEPER

Re: fine-tuning volume envelope breakpoints.

Post by SLEEPER » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:22 am

man any ideas? i think about this all day