[Movie Player] version 0.5 online ! MAC and PC !

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
amo

Post by amo » Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:59 pm

Emissary wrote:Awesome just what i needed, and no cpu usage at all, fantastic. Dont worry about the interface its fine, it does the job and doesnt need to be updated. This isnt the 80's .......looks arent everything. Bloody Brill!
Hehe... yeah ! no I just update with the mute button thing corrected. It's very light on CPU and I'm glad about that.
Other than that, about an update, I'm not sure I can address the HD movie thing (which don't get syc well), cause it's quite difficult and most movies are in the right format. A quick and dirty re-render of the movie for work in Live is quite easy to do if you've got a movie editor somewhere in the computer, or even quicktime full version.
shtreimel wrote:Been using the player for a week or so now, and my only concern is that I have to reload the video every now and again. For some reason, and this occurs when I shut down Live (tho I save before adn with the vid loaded), and/or a few times when Live was opened and vid was loaded. My other concern, is that when you trigger another clip, the vid player hides behind Live. Is there a way to ensure that the Vid player stays front and center?
The movie doesn't save with the Live set. Sorry about that. Then, I know sometimes (when changing sample rate for instance), the display gets funky, but a simple closing and reopening of the plug's window gets it right again. But you should not have to reload the movie from browser if you don't close your Live set....

And hey, have you worked in Cubase with video ? you can't move the movie window: the window moves, but the movie stays on the spot, and you have to close re-open it ! You can move mine ! </rant off>
For the window disappearing, it is a Live preferences option: in the plugin pane of the preferences, choose "autohide" off.

Glad it works for most people ! Clipperer, let me know how it works once you've got quicktime fixed....

Best,
amo
Live 5.0.3 - IBM Thinkpad R51 1.5ghz Centrino - 1,5 Go RAM - 7200 RPM 2nd HDD intern - RME Multiface - Windows XP Pro SP2

shtreimel

Post by shtreimel » Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:12 pm

amo wrote: For the window disappearing, it is a Live preferences option: in the plugin pane of the preferences, choose "autohide" off.
Thanks, didn't know that.

Funny how most folks are excited about Live 5.2...6, and yet you, a non-Live employee create a function that is SO useful to so many of us.

Merci.
Todah.
Thank you.

amo

Post by amo » Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:25 pm

Well, someone had to do it 8)

In fact, what amazes me is that no one did it before. I know there are some MAX/MSP geeks around here, and I just downloaded the demo and figured out the thing in some days... Glad it works. :wink: until Ableton steals the idea and implement it :twisted: - hey, no hurry now !!!!
Live 5.0.3 - IBM Thinkpad R51 1.5ghz Centrino - 1,5 Go RAM - 7200 RPM 2nd HDD intern - RME Multiface - Windows XP Pro SP2

Mbazzy

Post by Mbazzy » Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:49 am

Am,

I have this reproducable crash , whenever I close the moviewindow (avi & mov files) with movie still playing or with a movie that has reached the end and stopped , Live crashes .

( Osx 10.3.9 - Live 3.0.4 )
http://www.mbazzy.tk -
Mbazzy's "The dysfunctional playground, a scrapbook a bout the shape of useless things" now OUT on Retinascan - http://www.retinascan.de

amo

Post by amo » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:29 am

Mbazzy wrote:Am,

I have this reproducable crash , whenever I close the moviewindow (avi & mov files) with movie still playing or with a movie that has reached the end and stopped , Live crashes .

( Osx 10.3.9 - Live 3.0.4 )
Ok I'll look into that....

Peevee

Post by Peevee » Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:08 am

YEAH It works Finally I have the missing link, video!! Thanks
OSX 10.4 :D

Anubis

Post by Anubis » Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:58 am

Man, I gotta tell ya. This has to be the best music forum on the net lately. Another great tool... and for free! Thanks amo!
9.0.4 Suite-Samsung Chronos 7 laptop(17")-12GB RAM-Samsung 840 series SSD(250GB)-iPad2-Maschine-TouchAble-SaffirePro24-Saffire6USB-Komplete Audio 6-Axiom25-PCR300-Nocturn-LaunchPad-QuNeo-QuNexus
miTunes

amo

Post by amo » Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:48 am

Yesterday I started rewriting the plug using JITTER objects instead of quicktime: the result is that I get much more info from the movie, tighter sync as well. I still have a problem with those mpeg files. I found out that they have a timscale of 90000 units a second instead of 600 for classic quicktime movies. If I don't get it to work, I'll simply put a warning that you need to re-encode your movie in order to work on the sound. How does that work for you ?

You'll be able to see the framerate of the movie, it's duration, it's timescale (for making sure it will work). I'm now working to have the size of the movie window the same proportions as the movie playd, since there are so many different formats....

The sync and visual feedback will be just more accurate, I'm glad with that. Give me just another couple of days.

Oh, and also, you'll be able to put audio in Live on the same track, it will just pass through the plug with no latency.

Kind regards,

amo

Mbazzy

Post by Mbazzy » Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:06 am

Keep up the good work , Amaury!
http://www.mbazzy.tk -
Mbazzy's "The dysfunctional playground, a scrapbook a bout the shape of useless things" now OUT on Retinascan - http://www.retinascan.de

amo

Post by amo » Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:27 pm

Mbazzy wrote:Keep up the good work , Amaury!
Yes ! Well, yesterday I've rebuilt the plug using JITTER objects, works well and I've solved part of the "different timescale" problems... BUT, in the end I've found out that the plug wouldn't work if the user doesn't have JITTER installed on his system... Totally useless right ?

So, I'll give it another shot. I've made some progress, and compared to version 0,1, MoviePlayer will sync to other timescales than the classic quicktime (found out that some mpeg have 90000 QTU/s. Still aving probs with those 2997 QTU/s NTSCs), no more volume bug and the audio will go through the plug for letting the audio track from the movie play in Live's same track as where the plugin is, or to put the plug on the master track for convenience.

So gimme so more time (MAX/Msp demo expires in 14 days !!),

Regards,
amaury

dpel

Post by dpel » Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:54 pm

BRAVO!!!
Dave Pelman Music
http://www.davepelman.com

dpel

Post by dpel » Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:01 pm

amo wrote:Yesterday I started rewriting the plug using JITTER objects instead of quicktime: the result is that I get much more info from the movie, tighter sync as well. I still have a problem with those mpeg files. I found out that they have a timscale of 90000 units a second instead of 600 for classic quicktime movies. If I don't get it to work, I'll simply put a warning that you need to re-encode your movie in order to work on the sound. How does that work for you ?

You'll be able to see the framerate of the movie, it's duration, it's timescale (for making sure it will work). I'm now working to have the size of the movie window the same proportions as the movie playd, since there are so many different formats....

The sync and visual feedback will be just more accurate, I'm glad with that. Give me just another couple of days.

Oh, and also, you'll be able to put audio in Live on the same track, it will just pass through the plug with no latency.

Kind regards,

amo
if you can also add movie offset! that would be excellent!
Dave Pelman Music

amo

Post by amo » Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:14 pm

dpel wrote:
Hi,

I'm not against that idea but first I need to understand why you need movie offset, and in which proportions ? Do you mean to start music before the movie starts ? Do you need it in seconds ? minutes ?
I'll look into that but can't promise when it will be implemented (and of course after you explain me more wht you mean)

Best,
amo

dpel

Post by dpel » Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:20 pm

amo wrote:
dpel wrote:
Hi,

I'm not against that idea but first I need to understand why you need movie offset, and in which proportions ? Do you mean to start music before the movie starts ? Do you need it in seconds ? minutes ?
I'll look into that but can't promise when it will be implemented (and of course after you explain me more wht you mean)

Best,
amo
mostly seconds and frames.
when i work with a movie there is a "2 pop" sound (like a beep) 2 seconds before the movie plays (on a black screen or a count down sequence) i'd like to be able to keep my music locked at a location (example, bar eight) and adjust the movie start time so that it begins with my music.

most movies (when scoring) start at varrying positions (not always at frame 1)

so a movie offset or an "adjust movie start time" would complete the fuctionality
of your excellent program. in Digital Performer this feature is available.

best regards,
dp
Dave Pelman Music

amo

Post by amo » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:07 pm

That makes sense... What about giving an offset to the movie so it starts at whatever offset at the top of the arrangement ? I could put a number box to achieve that, like instead of movie start = 0, moviestart = "new value" ?