Utitlity for turning Live into your Windows Shell

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Funkstar De Luxe

Post by Funkstar De Luxe » Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:42 pm

sweetjesus wrote:Dpel: both methods are as safe as each other, not much difference there.

Funkstar De Luxe, thanks for your input, I will be adding such features in the future (as soon as i get some time) as well as the ability to choose which 'services' are running as well.
You the man! This is going to help a lot of people make music. ;-)

Hexdump

Post by Hexdump » Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:11 pm

the shell thingy is nice and all, but the real problem are the services and programs that start automatically.

therefore my question:

is it possible to have some kind of boot menu (only that its NOT booting from a different partition), where we can choose the appropriate start configuration, complete with alternative shell, selective service and program startups - a bit similar to what you can do with msconfig only that its not aimed at debugging but offers the possiblity to chose from a number of standard startup profiles, which can be selected freely at boot time?

i think SJ wrote that he will be integrating similar features in his registry tool (apart from the boot menu), but i would be surprised if there are no other or rather built-in methods to achieve this...

also i'm not quite sure how far i can go by creating dedicated users. i'd guess most service and program startups are defined globally anyway, aren't they?

any ideas?

Funkstar De Luxe

Post by Funkstar De Luxe » Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:03 pm

He says he will work on an update to do just that. Can't wait!

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:10 pm

hi everyone,

i know it's been quite a while since i put this together. i've been super busy in my life and i thank you all for exercising patience until i have the opportunity to add the features which i have promised. i want to make the best utility for configuring your live systems, something that i would be proud to always use, so hang in there and i'll get yas tweakin.

spiderprod

Post by spiderprod » Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:14 pm

sweetjesus wrote:hi everyone,

i know it's been quite a while since i put this together. i've been super busy in my life and i thank you all for exercising patience until i have the opportunity to add the features which i have promised. i want to make the best utility for configuring your live systems, something that i would be proud to always use, so hang in there and i'll get yas tweakin.
it does a really good job already for me .

forge

Post by forge » Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:12 am

I'm interested to know, are people finding this really makes a difference?

I'm asking because I was really excited whn Shawn first posted this, then it sent me on a tweaking mission and I went right into shutting down services etc but I actually found almost no difference

I found that when I was making music the computer wasnt being called upon to do anything else anyway so the CPU wasnt being used by anything but live anyway

I also have a laptop which is a couple of years old now, only an athlon 2200 and alot of you would have faster machines too

so is there really a difference? I really wanted there to be but didnt find much of one

Anubis

Post by Anubis » Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:55 am

sweetjesus wrote: I will be adding such features in the future (as soon as i get some time) as well as the ability to choose... 'services' ...
can you add an option that will fax my order to my favourite chinese delivery? usually Kong Po, Double-Ding, medium spicy, thanks :lol:
9.0.4 Suite-Samsung Chronos 7 laptop(17")-12GB RAM-Samsung 840 series SSD(250GB)-iPad2-Maschine-TouchAble-SaffirePro24-Saffire6USB-Komplete Audio 6-Axiom25-PCR300-Nocturn-LaunchPad-QuNeo-QuNexus
miTunes

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:11 am

Anubis wrote:
sweetjesus wrote: I will be adding such features in the future (as soon as i get some time) as well as the ability to choose... 'services' ...
can you add an option that will fax my order to my favourite chinese delivery? usually Kong Po, Double-Ding, medium spicy, thanks :lol:
this would require interaction with the modem and since for the most part the telephony services in XP will have to be shut down for maximum efficiency, that leaves the networking option of sending an email > fax order, but most people will turn off the networking services too.. so it may be a bit difficult to do what you want.

what i propose is installing a midi connection between yourself and the chinese delivery guys and have certain CC's allocated for different dishes...
as an added feature, if you play this midi file ( http://rivendell.fortunecity.com/redgua ... sticks.mid )you will get free set of chopsticks.

Hexdump

Post by Hexdump » Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:00 pm

forge wrote:I'm interested to know, are people finding this really makes a difference?

I'm asking because I was really excited whn Shawn first posted this, then it sent me on a tweaking mission and I went right into shutting down services etc but I actually found almost no difference

I found that when I was making music the computer wasnt being called upon to do anything else anyway so the CPU wasnt being used by anything but live anyway

I also have a laptop which is a couple of years old now, only an athlon 2200 and alot of you would have faster machines too

so is there really a difference? I really wanted there to be but didnt find much of one
IMHO it's not that much about performance, its about program coexistence and thus avoiding faulty system behaviour. in fact i just updated my thinkpad software and what i get now are clicks in the audio signal every 1 second and i just FRIGGIN DON'T KNOW what's causing this. so i end up disabling all the zillion services and programs i don't need for a live session (using msconfig) and it works ok again. it's just that i would like the possiblity to do this at startup.

quandry

Post by quandry » Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:09 pm

Patch wrote:
Does DM2Midi need to run before Live, or can it be opened after Live?
Yes, it does. I thought that might be a problem...

Also, I'm trying to set up 2 DM2s for use in live together - could 2 instances of the DM2midi utility be run before Live?
haven't read the whole thread so ignore me if I'm stoopid, but I use DM2 midi everytime I use live, and I open Live first. I go Live, then midiOX, Bomes Midi Translator, DM2, Blockspace, then FL STudio Pro. Works every time. my 2 cents---hey, how is the two DM2's going???

Ryan
Dell Studio XPS 8100 Windows 7 64-bit, 10 GB RAM. RME Multiface, Avalon U5 & M5, Distressor, Filter Factory, UC33e, BCR-2000, FCB1010, K-Station, Hr 824 & H120 sub, EZ Bus, V-Drums, DrumKat EZ, basses, guitars, pedals... http://www.ryan-hughes.net

veggieryan

try this

Post by veggieryan » Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:30 pm

To automatically disable services for running live you can setup a 2nd "hardware profile" in windows...

step1:
rightclick my computer>> hardware tab >> hardware profiles >> copy and rename the new profile to Ableton Live
I also usually rename the original default profile to "internet workstation"

now you can assign services that are enabled or disabled for each profile...

step2:
control panel>>administrative tools>>services

right click the services you dont need (most of them)
click on the logon tab and you will see each profile with enabled next to it..
double click the profile to disable...

restart and now you get to chose your profile! just like dual booting without sacrificing the harddrive space...
combine with the registry hack from this thread and you have a live appliance..

this is why i am not getting a new 3,000 dollar macbook...
i am running 8 guitar rigs and 20 more vsts at 2ms latency on my built in soundcard....
i am using a toshiba m4 tablet hybrid 1.73 ghz/1.5gb ram and its nice to be able to draw notes, envelopes and control XY boxes with the pen.... also good for graphic work... try that with a MAC!!!! there will be no mac tablet!
plus mac doesnt have chordspace and that plugin rocks... use with midiloopback for madness and mayhem...

ps.. i am excited about the dual core version of this toshiba m4 to be relesed this spring as the m6??? cool!
Last edited by veggieryan on Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spiderprod

Post by spiderprod » Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:32 pm

forge wrote:I'm interested to know, are people finding this really makes a difference?
for me it does really make a difference ,i save around 7% cpu & 20meg ram .
i saw the difference when i used it on my mastering station ,i run the diamond blundle ,so it pumps quite a lot of cpu & does not run on powercore .once i reached the limit of the cpu i tryed to reopen the project with the shell , it gave me space for one more renaissance reverb without any cpu glitch .

forge

Re: try this

Post by forge » Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:57 pm

veggieryan wrote:To automatically disable services for running live you can setup a 2nd "hardware profile" in windows...

step1:
rightclick my computer>> hardware tab >> hardware profiles >> copy and rename the new profile to Ableton Live
I also usually rename the original default profile to "internet workstation"

now you can assign services that are enabled or disabled for each profile...

step2:
control panel>>administrative tools>>services

right click the services you dont need (most of them)
click on the logon tab and you will see each profile with enabled next to it..
double click the profile to disable...

restart and now you get to chose your profile! just like dual booting without sacrificing the harddrive space...
combine with the registry hack from this thread and you have a live appliance..

this is why i am not getting a new 3,000 dollar macbook...
i am running 8 guitar rigs and 20 more vsts at 2ms latency on my built in soundcard....
i am using a toshiba m4 tablet hybrid 1.73 ghz/1.5gb ram and its nice to be able to draw notes, envelopes and control XY boxes with the pen.... also good for graphic work... try that with a MAC!!!! there will be no mac tablet!
plus mac doesnt have chordspace and that plugin rocks... use with midiloopback for madness and mayhem...

ps.. i am excited about the dual core version of this toshiba m4 to be relesed this spring as the m6??? cool!
I actually tried this for this very reason and it didnt look like it worked - I only disabled 2 services to test it and when I rebooted in that profile they were running again - maybe I picked the wrong services but I was sure I picked insignificant ones - must have got it wrong - are you sure this works, do you actually do it? Because if so then I definitely will!

But again, I tried the black viper tweaks and I didnt think I noticed much difference - maybe it's one of those things where I would notice it halfway into an intensive set....

I did spend a good day or 2 tweaking and experimenting though

veggieryan

also try this on the fly

Post by veggieryan » Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:22 am

this will do it on the fly.. very nice as well when you dont want to reboot
http://www.shlomygantz.com/blog/index.c ... 91F5737896

i havent tried this one yet... anyone care to compare?
http://www.orbwave.com/cfjboss/2005/06/ ... eased.html

forge

Re: also try this on the fly

Post by forge » Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:29 am

veggieryan wrote:this will do it on the fly.. very nice as well when you dont want to reboot
http://www.shlomygantz.com/blog/index.c ... 91F5737896

i havent tried this one yet... anyone care to compare?
http://www.orbwave.com/cfjboss/2005/06/ ... eased.html
ahh! now you're talking!

now if only I knew what they all did so I know what I can get rid of!

8O