Utitlity for turning Live into your Windows Shell

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:38 pm

clipperer wrote:hey man, how did you make that program, did you use something like hex edirot ?
me?

Oh i just used a language that gets bagged out by every coder under the sun who doesnt use it.. Visual Basic.

spiderprod

Post by spiderprod » Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:07 pm

i spend my week end configuring a new system , i used a spare laptop as a vst server with fxteleport ,linked both laptops via firewire400 .i works great , now my spare laptop ( 2.8ghz) works exactly like a dsp processor & does only that .your shell make it worth it ,i don't spend 15 minutes to switch on all my pcs & open every apps anymore .now i just have to press the power button of all computers & after 3 minutes it's all ready to go .
i have to say a big thank you for saving me this precious time (you know when you have an idea in your head ,by the time you turn on everything , it's gone )
i say it again , thank you & thank you .

now the only thing i need is something like vst system link to work with live , i think i can wait for this one .

Gnosis

Post by Gnosis » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:19 am

This tool rocks - I just managed to squeeze an average 8 % off my live performance meter (as per performance test). Most importantly - Live used to spike around 70% in the test but now sits happily around 44 %.

Nice work.

elemental

Post by elemental » Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:19 pm

Ok thats it, I must download and test this out. Just got scared by the warnings..!

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:55 pm

spiderprod wrote: now the only thing i need is something like vst system link to work with live , i think i can wait for this one .
I've not tried it myself - but you could take a look at
FX Teleport
Just launch your favorite VST host on one machine and VST instruments and FX on the others and enjoy working on your audio processing farm. You can even dedicate a whole computer to your favorite VST synth.

spiderprod

Post by spiderprod » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:22 pm

Angstrom wrote:
spiderprod wrote: now the only thing i need is something like vst system link to work with live , i think i can wait for this one .
I've not tried it myself - but you could take a look at
FX Teleport
Just launch your favorite VST host on one machine and VST instruments and FX on the others and enjoy working on your audio processing farm. You can even dedicate a whole computer to your favorite VST synth.
i am using fx teleport at the moment , i managed to make it work via firewire network , it's a good soft but it clips when you use controls .
the network thing is a bit too slow to handle many fx , plus if i wanna use waves plugins it takes about an hour to load them , & the waves plugins are the ones i use the most .
if someone could come up with a way to get fx teleport via adat or spdif that would be great .

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:30 pm

sweetjesus wrote: Oh i just used a language that gets bagged out by every coder under the sun who doesnt use it.. Visual Basic.
You don't let those mean C-ish people beat you down, we know that VB is cool. :) Ain't nuthin wrong with what you write it in, as long as it works.

wood0292

Post by wood0292 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:50 pm

Is it possible to just set up one account on XP to do this, and have the other accounts behave normally? This seems like a really cool idea, especially for my laptop which needs the extra performance, but I also do alot of other things on my PCs.

If this is not possible I guess I could start explorer manually(and whatever services and programs I disable on startup). I apologize if this question has been answered already, I have skimmed through this thread pretty quickly and may have missed it if it has.

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:20 pm

wood0292 wrote:Is it possible to just set up one account on XP to do this, and have the other accounts behave normally? This seems like a really cool idea, especially for my laptop which needs the extra performance, but I also do alot of other things on my PCs.

If this is not possible I guess I could start explorer manually(and whatever services and programs I disable on startup). I apologize if this question has been answered already, I have skimmed through this thread pretty quickly and may have missed it if it has.
When you start explorer manually after my utility is in effect, it will not bring up the 'start' bar and whatnot as it is not the shell but the explorer file browsing app will come up.

I haven't tried this, but I don't believe this utility will work differently on different accounts. I will try to confirm this for you soon, if it is not the case then perhaps I may add it to the list of things people have requested in the utility.

CJ_Hahn

Post by CJ_Hahn » Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:27 pm

I've read through the entire post, does this app only work in an XP environment, or will it work in win2k as well. I have a computer running both, so I'll try it on the XP later, but it is the 2k computer that really needs the help.

dj superflat

pc users only

Post by dj superflat » Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:38 pm

having looked at this post, it seems like some folk have not used all the fairly well known tips for optimizing PC audio performance. if you haven't, it's well worth your while. you can find via google (there's one set of tips i can't seem to find that was sent to me by novation when i was having issues with an xstation), here's a link to one that i found useful. employing all these tips had a dramatic effect on my pc performance.

http://www.digitalproducer.com/2002/11_ ... caudio.htm

jbible

Post by jbible » Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:10 pm

My X-Station only initializes if I boot to windows so unfortunately I cant do this. Also I use double desktop a great little utility where I can toggle between two desktops. It wont start from run without explorer running. It requires the system tray to start.

So what I do is boot to windows. Start ableton... then use task manager to close explorer which since I am so stripped down is really the only unecessary thing running. I only have like 7-9 processes on boot to begin with. Cutting off my studio and DAW from the internet was the best thing I ever did.

This works really nice because then I can still use double desktop. I have a dual monitor setup so I can toggle between two sets of dual monitors.

On one desktop I have live in full screen mode across the two monitors and when I hit the 'esc' key I toggle to a second pair of blank monitors which I usually drag battery and any synths and plugins over to. So I can toggle between full dual screen live and my instruments without them cluttering each other up.

This is also nice because sometimes when I just want to jam without looking at ableton I can just toggle to the blank pair of monitors.

BTW here is where you can find double desktop.
http://www.fatfreesoft.com/2desk.php
experimedia.net - label and mailorder - 15% OFF THROUGH FEB 14TH
jeremybible.com | jeremy bible & jason henry

dpel

Post by dpel » Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:17 pm

is there a difference between running this app or manually (the traditional way)
setting the pc start up in the Live shell?

in other words, is one method safer than the other?
Dave Pelman Music
http://www.davepelman.com

Funkstar De Luxe

Post by Funkstar De Luxe » Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:04 pm

Hey, this is a really cool idea. It doesn't save me too many resources, as I'm luck enough to have a good PC. HOWEVER, it does stop me checking my emails, surfing the net etc :-) I get so much more done with it.

I was thinking, to be a real resource saver is it possible to make it turn the colours down to 16K, remove wall paper, let me choose what programs run at start up? That way I could have a 'normal' XP install and at the click of a button, an audio optimized version.

Tony

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:11 pm

Dpel: both methods are as safe as each other, not much difference there.

Funkstar De Luxe, thanks for your input, I will be adding such features in the future (as soon as i get some time) as well as the ability to choose which 'services' are running as well.