Utitlity for turning Live into your Windows Shell

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
forge

Post by forge » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:56 am

sweetjesus wrote: I did some research and I believe I can easily start and stop services with my code, so in theory I can disable your networking and put a small clock in my program. .....
what ever happened to this? 8O

and what about vista?

since vista I think I need something like this more now

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:50 am

forge wrote:
sweetjesus wrote: I did some research and I believe I can easily start and stop services with my code, so in theory I can disable your networking and put a small clock in my program. .....

and what about vista?

http://tweak.us/cms/article_Hardware_Profiles.html

try this ..

forge

Post by forge » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:33 pm

bump

I dont think I ever noticed your reply there SJ - thanks - I actually looked this thread up because I was looking into hardware profiles and it's not for performance - it's to get myself off the internet!

unfortunately this utility still let's me do that via task manager, so I might be better using a hardware profile and disabling everything

given any mroe thought to this?

philipc

Re: Utitlity for turning Live into your Windows Shell

Post by philipc » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:32 pm

sweetjesus wrote:***************** WARNING - Alpha version of this.. only been tested on my setup (Win XP Home) ********************

Hi all,

Due to popular demand I sat down and wrote this utility today (couldnt find my backup)... but it's for replacing the Windows Explorer shell with Ableton Live.

I need a couple of people to test this out, so if you have a computer where u will be doing a show with in the next few weeks then it's probably not a good idea to try this yet.

http://www.fridge.net.au/utilities/registry.exe

Basically when you run the program it will have 3 buttons

- Choose Shell
This will make a dialog box. You will use this to choose the program (in the case of most people here ..Live) that will replace the windows shell. I didn't hardcode the Live folder so you can choose the version of Live you have installed if you have more than one. Also make sure you choose the EXE.. in my case I selected c:\Program Files\Ableton\Live 5.0.3\Program\Live 5.0.3.exe

- On / Off
With this you can choose if my utulity is active or if the default windows shell is what comes up when you start windows. It will automatically detect what state your config is in and present you with an option.. click "off" to restore windows shell .. click "on" to make this utility active. If you have clicked "on" and you have not yet chosen a shell program, when you start up it will simply open up an instance of Windows Explorer .. but it won't be the full shell as that needs to occur on startup.

- Exit
.. self explanatory

The way it works is, if my utility is turned on and you restart your computer, my program will become the default shell and then it will launch whatever program you chose in the "Choose shell" function and by default it goes to the background so you can turn my utility off after a Live session and go back to normal Windows after a reboot.

If for any reason any problems occur on reboot and you get no shell, you can press ctrl + shift + esc which will bring up the task manager... click file> New Task(Run) and type Regedit in there.. when regedit opens go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Shell and change the value to "explorer.exe" and use the same task manager to restart your computer (Shut Down menu).

I've only run this on my computer which has windows XP home, so if any of you have XP pro and are savvy and can bail yourself out of any Shell-loss which may incur, I would be keen to see how this works on XP Pro.

******************* SECOND WARNING ******************
I DO NOT TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY FUCK UPS THAT MAY OCCUR BY USING THIS PROGRAM.. YOU WILL RUN THIS PROGRAM AT YOUR OWN RISK. ANY TECHNICAL PROBLEMS THAT MAY OCCUR AS A RESULT OF USING THIS PROGRAM ARE THE SOLE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE USER AND NOT ME **************************************************

.... sorry but due to the fact that this messes with some intrensic registry keys I had to mention that...

cheers,
SJ
Does anyone still have this program? I remember using it when it was originally posted and it worked great but now the website is gone and I don't have it any more. The alternative method of using the Group Policy editor won't work because I'm using XP SP3.

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:17 am

Ack! I thought I had it floating around on one of my PCs, but it must have been on my now-missing laptop. Sorry. :cry:

I hope someone can dig this up, because this was a fantastic tool, and probably as close to an Ableton OS as we're gonna get for a while.

Anubis

Re:

Post by Anubis » Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:24 am

forge wrote:

and what about vista?

I never had the courage to try this back in the day. But I sure hope the OP or someone revives this as a 64 bit solution for Win 7. I'm feeling a little braver these days.
9.0.4 Suite-Samsung Chronos 7 laptop(17")-12GB RAM-Samsung 840 series SSD(250GB)-iPad2-Maschine-TouchAble-SaffirePro24-Saffire6USB-Komplete Audio 6-Axiom25-PCR300-Nocturn-LaunchPad-QuNeo-QuNexus
miTunes

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:42 pm

I highly doubt there will be any further development. The OP is rarely here anymore and I believe he has
jumped ship to Mac.

Honestly, with Win7, you don't need to do this kind of hard core tweak. Just turn a few things off and you are good to go.

philipc

Post by philipc » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:19 pm

Silverfish wrote:Ack! I thought I had it floating around on one of my PCs, but it must have been on my now-missing laptop. Sorry. :cry:

I hope someone can dig this up, because this was a fantastic tool, and probably as close to an Ableton OS as we're gonna get for a while.
Never mind, thanks for looking!

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:18 am

Actually, if anyone else stumbles across this, I'd like to get a copy, just to try it out again.

alex.the.forge

Post by alex.the.forge » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:38 am

FWIW - when I used it I didn't find it really made a lot of difference to performance in the end, it just basically made it a little bit harder to get on the internet and waste time, but it didn't disable any services or anything like that… that's why SJ was talking about doing an updated one that allowed you to do that… but as Neb said, it's unlikely he would be the one to do it as he's busy these days and also switched to mac