new Xone:3D brochure now online. Release date....

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
pussErox

Post by pussErox » Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:41 pm

robtronik wrote:
why would you need the mixer section to be MIDI assignable when it is meant for dedicated EQ? Almost all live/DJ sets are going to need some EQ, so this part is taken care of (thereby freeing up the other rotaries on the sides for other more interesting uses). The EQ in the center (silver section) ALSO applies to incoming audio from the computer, so your assertion above is wrong when you say it is only for Phono/Line inputs.

rob.
there are 4 sliders on the left of the this mixer as well as on the right for live (ableton) tracks/instruments. they all run through the same dedicated eq as a whole (one eq set of l,m,h for the left side, and one set for the right)... this sux. Each track/slider needs to have a column of 3 or 4 knobs that are assinagble. so you can eq each individual live slider/track (8 total). I have already messed with it... trust me... it lacks for the price tag. not what im looking for is all i am saying. It is sufficient for instruments (because you are using multiple tracks to create one sound., but for mixing complete tracks, it sux (i am just speaking of the ableton integration part). Obviously, mixing tracks with vinyl & cd's in the middle section is not an issue. Each slider then has its own eq.

Hey, it might do what you want it to. Its not for me. Now this DJM-800. With 61 assignable knobs/switches. Thats dope. Don't worry, I am sure A&H will come out with one that offers 64 assignables soon enough. :wink:

robtronik

Post by robtronik » Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:15 pm

I still don't understand what you are saying. You route your track channels in Live via the track session settings and those are assigned to whatever channel you want.

The sliders can be used for whatever you assign them to (on the left or right side). The knobs and buttons on each side can be assigned to whatever you want as well too.

Obviously, all channels assigned in Live must run through one of the 4 channels to get out of the mixer, so they do go through the dedicated EQ in the main mixer (via one of the 4 tracks that you can assign on the mixer itself)... but this is the part I don't understand: You seem to think that is a problem. How do you use live that you don't want some sort of dedicated EQ for your tracks that are playing? This unit takes care of the dedicated EQ via the mixer channels.

I'm not trying to be argumentative. I just need to understand your critique better as I don't comprehend the drawbacks you are trying to point out.

I don't see a way to trigger loops via the new Pionner DJ mixer btw. Knobs and sliders, but where are the buttons to trigger clips in the session view? Plus you still need to have a soundcard for your laptop with mulitple outs to interface with the inputs of the Pioneer. More gear, mo' problems, IMO.

Thanks,

rob.

pussErox

Post by pussErox » Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:10 pm

robtronik wrote:I still don't understand what you are saying. You route your track channels in Live via the track session settings and those are assigned to whatever channel you want.

The sliders can be used for whatever you assign them to (on the left or right side). The knobs and buttons on each side can be assigned to whatever you want as well too.

Obviously, all channels assigned in Live must run through one of the 4 channels to get out of the mixer, so they do go through the dedicated EQ in the main mixer (via one of the 4 tracks that you can assign on the mixer itself)... but this is the part I don't understand: You seem to think that is a problem. How do you use live that you don't want some sort of dedicated EQ for your tracks that are playing? This unit takes care of the dedicated EQ via the mixer channels.

I'm not trying to be argumentative. I just need to understand your critique better as I don't comprehend the drawbacks you are trying to point out.

I don't see a way to trigger loops via the new Pionner DJ mixer btw. Knobs and sliders, but where are the buttons to trigger clips in the session view? Plus you still need to have a soundcard for your laptop with mulitple outs to interface with the inputs of the Pioneer. More gear, mo' problems, IMO.

Thanks,

rob.
dood... there are 8 total faders for live...right? there are 4 eq's in the middle...right? (one for each line/phono/midi). how can i eq 8 different tracks (individually), with only four assgnable eq sets at a time??? you can't. Thats all I am saying. read into it all you want. I have had hands on exp. with it, and it is not what I am looking for.

thx,

Rox
Last edited by pussErox on Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pussErox

Post by pussErox » Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:15 pm

robtronik wrote:
Obviously, ALL channels assigned in Live must run through ONE of the 4 channels to get out of the mixer,
this is the problem dood. what if each one of my channels is playing an entire track (not a midi instrument, but an actual song)? What if I am mixing on 2 (or 3, or 4) live tracks as if they were decks, but only have 1 eq? get it?

robtronik

Post by robtronik » Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:08 pm

ah, I understand. I usually run only 5 or 6 tracks in Live anyway. the other two are used for sends that aren't usually EQ'd anyway (just have a limiter, or somthing to keep the effects volume in check). This is a habit learned from using MIDI controllers that only have 8 faders anyway.

Hm. interesting. Thanks DOOD. LOL. :)

rob.

the ar

Post by the ar » Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:38 pm

Touch screen is excellent for scene triggering, or triggering in general, but when it comes down to tweaking, fx fiddling, eq cuts or whatever, you can't beat the good ole knobs 'n faders.
Just my two cents.

mike holiday

Post by mike holiday » Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:08 pm

pussErox wrote: What if I am mixing on 2 (or 3, or 4) live tracks as if they were decks, but only have 1 eq? get it?
well since you have 4 dedicated eq's you are still safe

currently i have a xone 62

i route the 8 outputs of my soundcard in 4 sterio pairs into the xone, and use a faderfox lv1 for controling effects
so the xone controls track levels and eq

3 for tracks and the fourth is the send/returns

i think the 3d will be perfect for intagrateing decks and the laptop together.
dual 1.8 G4 10.4.9 w/768 ram & A&H xone 3D

"I ain't often right but I've never been wrong"

pussErox

Post by pussErox » Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:14 pm

mike holiday wrote:
no, not really. again, you can only assign ALL FOUR of those live tracks to one (eq) channel on the mixer. Same goes for the other side. So you are really only safe if you are mixing 2 tracks together (one out of the four sliders on the left, and one out of the four sliders on the right) with live. Thats the only way to have 2 eq's to work with.

robtronik

Post by robtronik » Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:34 pm

pussErox wrote:
mike holiday wrote:
no, not really. again, you can only assign ALL FOUR of those live tracks to one (eq) channel on the mixer. Same goes for the other side. So you are really only safe if you are mixing 2 tracks together (one out of the four sliders on the left, and one out of the four sliders on the right) with live. Thats the only way to have 2 eq's to work with.
This is totally incorrect. Each DJ channel has its own discrete audio in from Live tracks that you assign within the program.

IOW, Channel 1 on the 3D accepts inputs from its internal soundcard for Tracks 1 and 2. Channel 2 on the 3D accepts inputs from its internal souncard for Tracks 3 and 4. Channel 3 from 5 and 6. Channel 4 appears to be for Send and Return (but might be for tracks 7 and 8).

This is the part where I disagreed with you. I don't see how you think that it is only for mixing two tracks with EQ. That's a totally false assesment of its capabilities.

It can have seperate EQs on four channels and have up to four channels coming in from Live as discrete audio ins via the soundcard in the 3D. Look at the graphic of the front on the unit. Its clearly laid out.

At a minimum you can have 3 tracks playing with their own seperate EQ settings via the DJ mixer section (and possibly four depending on on how you can assign that fourth channel fader input).

rob.

mike holiday

Post by mike holiday » Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:38 pm

:o purple led's that settles it :lol:

i thought i had gotten over my GAS untill thins thing was announced.

i totally love the idea of intagrating a dj set-up into the studio as well

(since the tracks i make are intended for dj'ing. and i still think beatmixing is fun fun stuff)
dual 1.8 G4 10.4.9 w/768 ram & A&H xone 3D

"I ain't often right but I've never been wrong"

pussErox

Post by pussErox » Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:47 pm

robtronik wrote:
pussErox wrote:
mike holiday wrote:
This is totally incorrect. Each DJ channel has its own discrete audio in from Live tracks that you assign within the program.

IOW, Channel 1 on the 3D accepts inputs from its internal soundcard for Tracks 1 and 2. Channel 2 on the 3D accepts inputs from its internal souncard for Tracks 3 and 4. Channel 3 from 5 and 6. Channel 4 appears to be for Send and Return (but might be for tracks 7 and 8).

This is the part where I disagreed with you. I don't see how you think that it is only for mixing two tracks with EQ. That's a totally false assesment of its capabilities.

It can have seperate EQs on four channels and have up to four channels coming in from Live as discrete audio ins via the soundcard in the 3D. Look at the graphic of the front on the unit. Its clearly laid out.

At a minimum you can have 3 tracks playing with their own seperate EQ settings via the DJ mixer section (and possibly four depending on on how you can assign that fourth channel fader input).

rob.

oh yeah, i forgot about that! I remember now... channels 1 & 4 are both for sc 1&2. So, this lets you mix up to 3 tracks with complete eq control. thats a lil better... but still... they should have made those slider sections like a uc-33 split in half.

pussErox

Post by pussErox » Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:56 pm

robtronik wrote:At a minimum you can have 3 tracks playing with their own seperate EQ settings via the DJ mixer section (and possibly four depending on on how you can assign that fourth channel fader input).
that 1st & 4th one are asigned the same (sc1-2) so you can jump around on the mixer in the middle of that track (by simply matcing the perameters). So you are not stuck physically on the left or right side of the mixer.