OSX 10.4.4 + Live 5 (.0.3)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
polyslax

OSX 10.4.4 + Live 5 (.0.3)

Post by polyslax » Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:47 pm

Just wanted to say no problems thus far on my G5 iMac.
Image Image

forgie

Post by forgie » Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:04 pm

No probs with 10.4.4 on my iBook G4 1.33Ghz running 5.0.3.

What may change is firewire performance, since Apple say that they've updated both firewire drivers and Core Audio stuff. Lets hope that the firewire drivers sort out some peoples problems. I'm not too optimistic though.

Everyone with 10.4.4 + a firewire interface should give us the low down on their results.

inis

Post by inis » Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:10 pm

Everything running the same (which is fine) on my G5 Powermac and G4 Powerbook.

udp

Post by udp » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:14 pm

Running perfectly on my antique mac. Saving money for a Macbook.
OS X.5 MacBook Core 2Duo 2.2ghz, 2Gig RAM Mackie Onyx 400F m-audio BX8's, Oxygen 8, Zoom H-4, Alesis Masterlink, Bitstream 3x
http://www.udpmusic.com

FORMAT

Post by FORMAT » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:59 pm

I'll update tomorrow after my gig ;-)

Will let you know if I encounter any problems...

smutek

Post by smutek » Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:30 pm

Glad to hear its working out for everyone. After 10.4.3 I'm afraid of updates.

10.4.3 killed the airport card on my powerbook. Had to erase and install to get it back.

Then, reluctantly, I installed it on my new G5 and photoshop died. All of a sudden I started getting a strange "can not open the file due to an unexpected error" message. I freelance and usually have a pretty heavy load, and photoshop is one of my workhorses. Can't have that happening.

But I am not sure that I can blame that on the OS upgrade. I was having a lot of strange behavior after upgrading the G5 to 10.4.3 so when photoshop glitched out I just chalked it up to the upgrade and did an erase and install. Everything is solid now and I'm afraid to disturb the pond so to speak.

I'll probably go ahead and do it anyway. Will post back after.

suburbanbather

Post by suburbanbather » Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:32 pm

you forgot to include the fact that you did not repair permisions before installing that update :wink:

smutek

Post by smutek » Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:40 pm

True, before updating the powerbook I did not repair permissions.

However, on the G5 I did everything, permissions, cron scripts, etc. and still had problems.

You know, I just read (like 5 minutes ago) on the apple support forums that it is not necessary to do all of that stuff before the upgrade. But, it is most important to repair permissions AFTER upgrading. Now, this was not an "official" apple statement, just by some dude thats been around for a while and seems to know what he is talking about.

here, ill paste it:

"A good idea to run afterwards but no one is required to repair disk permissions before installing an update. It doesn't hurt anything but a waste of time beforehand IMO.

Running cron scripts basically frees up hard drive space since these maintenance scripts clean up a variety of system logs and temporary files only. I haven't read that running the daily, weekly and monthly cron scripts has a positive or negative effect either way before installing a major OS Update and I'm not sure how it can prevent anything bad with a major OS Update installation.

The most important system troubleshooting procedure to run before install a major OS Update such as 10.4.4 which replaces and/or updates thousands of files and components is running Disk First Aid repair via Disk Utility when booted from the Tiger install disc to check the hard drive for any directory problems and then update your backup.

I ran DFA repair on the hard drive only (with no problems reported) before using Software Update to install all available updates yesterday and I haven't experienced any problems."

suburbanbather

Post by suburbanbather » Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:44 pm

cool, I'll do the same before I upgrade. Thnx for your input!

sqook

Post by sqook » Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:01 pm

Some of my plugins are behaving mysteriously now, causing live4 to crash... weird. Other than that, it's all good, though.

Also, you'd be wise to run a repair disk permissions after installation, too. There's a lot of new permission rules that need to be applied on 10.4.4.

cbass

I had some problems with live last night after the upgrade.

Post by cbass » Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:08 pm

my firewire interface took a little while to show up,(alesis multimix 8) m-audio O2 took a little while ot work proporly, and live was runny slow as hell. It would take up to 30 seconds to open up a set with one track and one clip in it...

i did a repair disc in disc utility and the problem was solved...it was working great before the update
a powerbook, some guitars, some keys, some fxs, some creativity

forgie

Post by forgie » Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:41 pm

Core Graphics performance has gone way up on my 1.33Ghz iBook going from 10.4.3 to 10.4.4.

The 'Ripple Effect' (when you drop a widget on your dashboard) used to have a little glitch in it, now it's smooth as silk. Plus, the flurry screensaver used to have a slow framerate, and use up my CPU, causing my fans to go on if I left that screensaver on for long - now it uses half as much CPU and it's got a silky smooth framerate.... about time Apple ironed out some of these little CPU gremlins hiding in the corners of Tiger (you know they're there! hiding in the corners!).

[edit: the flurry screensaver now uses abour 4% CPU, it used to use about 40%! That's a big improvement! hopefully by about 10.4.6, Tiger will be running as fast as Panther did - it'll probably still thrive on RAM like it does now, but that's just something that mac users have to accept]

Oh, and what the poster said about doing a Disk Repair before, and a Permissions Repair afterwards is a good rule of thumb. If you have a disk directory error, doing an OSX update could cause some nasty shit to go down - bad permissions won't mean shit since the updater will be running as root. After changing all those files, a permissions repair is almost essential to ensure everything works properly.

sqook

Post by sqook » Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:34 pm

forgie wrote:The 'Ripple Effect' (when you drop a widget on your dashboard) used to have a little glitch in it, now it's smooth as silk. Plus, the flurry screensaver used to have a slow framerate, and use up my CPU....
You can always count on apple for the super-important bugfixes. :)

Also, it's starting to irritate me that fix disk permissions is becoming the magic wand of OSX maintainance. Since 10.2, it seems to be the catch-all solution to weird computer behavior, with each progressive version becoming more and more dependent on it. And yet, 98% of mac users are completely oblivious to this utility.

Since it's such an easy tool to run, I really wish that apple would eliminate it from the disk utility app and instead move it into cron or something where it would get run automatically on a regular basis. It's not like it really takes that long to run anyways.

forgie

Post by forgie » Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:43 pm

Yeah, it's something that will (hopefully) be fully built in to OSX. There's no reason why the OSX filesystem interface can't keep track of all the system files that need special permissions and correct any screwed up permissions when you shut down your computer. It'd be a fair bit of code, but once the framework is in place it would be yet another relic of OSX history.

smutek

Post by smutek » Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:55 pm

So, this is going a little OT, but how long does everyone suppose its going to be before we get dropped, like OS9? Dropped as in, we no longer support OSX, no more upgrades, etc.. My estimate is about one year, maybe two.

I could be way off, but I don't expect to see OSX progress beyond 10.4, I imagine all of the efforts will go into ironing out the exisiting kinks in OSX and rolling out future OS releases for the IBM chips only.

Will we see a 10.5, leopard or whatever its going to be called, for G4's and G5's? How is this supposed to work? Anyone have any info?