you could look as cool as this guy

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
err_fatale

Post by err_fatale » Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:02 am

icedsushi wrote:S central...near York. I'm pretty close to Baltimore and DC. Don't know much about the music scene in Pittsburgh, any good?
ahh just a bunch of "emo" bands nowadays like everywhere else, a few people doing electronic stuff but not like the 90's......not many younger people are into electronic music these days, except drum and bass, but I'm not as into the DNB sound as I was in the 90's, it's lost it's novelty for the most part....hasn't progressed much since 2000...

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:22 am

err_fatale wrote:I know when I had quicktime and Itunes on my PC, it fucked with a lot of Flash player stuff, which would be solved by simply uninstalling Quicktime...now I have the "quicktime Alternative" it works fine for me and doesn't try to hijack my computer like Quicktime does....ditto Realplayer....I'm so sick of these programs that are almost essential to playing media on the web taking over your box and doing all kind of sneaky shit without you knowing about it especially Realplayer, Winamp always connecting to the internet when I start it, etc. etc....bullshit.
Winamp can easily be turned off regarding the internet. It's actually a very good player and plays a lot of formats.

What are the Quicktime and Realplayer alternatives that you have? Got links?

onyxashanti

Post by onyxashanti » Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:36 am

fuck off!! sorry for those of you that are too cool, but that shit looks dope as hell to me. the contraption looks retarded, but the technology is hot. wait til that shit just fits under your shirt sleeves and is easily configurable. to be able to, wirelessly, control the lights, video, and music...while playing guitar or something. ya'll can diss, but i want one.

onyx

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:16 am

err_fatale wrote:
icedsushi wrote:S central...near York. I'm pretty close to Baltimore and DC. Don't know much about the music scene in Pittsburgh, any good?
ahh just a bunch of "emo" bands nowadays like everywhere else, a few people doing electronic stuff but not like the 90's......not many younger people are into electronic music these days, except drum and bass, but I'm not as into the DNB sound as I was in the 90's, it's lost it's novelty for the most part....hasn't progressed much since 2000...
Can I get in this conversation?

Thanks! :D

Grand buffet is amazing on the uber indi hip hop front, Dirty Phases are pretty rocking, and they are playing sometime next week with some band an exbandmate of mine is in, called "Poison Arrow." Tight-musicianship all around.

We keep losing venues over dumb shit. This place I used to intern at is currently investigation because they replaced a window with styrofoam and a mother of three fell through it.

There really isn't much electronica here these days, but we are blessed with periodic
visits from Gil Mantara's Party Dream, which are a tour de force from nearby Youngstown.

Mostly there are a lot of New York art bands like Oneida (amazing) or Japanther (heared great things about them) as well as fairly sophisticated-bike-messaging-vegen-core.

Yeah. That is the pittsburgh Music scene in a nut shell. Grandbuffet, a couple dudes from the southside doing electronica by different names, and a whole lot of sophisticated-bike-messaging-vegen-core from the roboto project.

Oh yeah, those things are awesome. Anyone who feels gay because those things are so hot should just come to terms with themselves. Midi-controller's are not gay. Even if they are as gay as these controllers... OK- I have no point! :lol:

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:27 am

err_fatale wrote:I know when I had quicktime and Itunes on my PC, it fucked with a lot of Flash player stuff, which would be solved by simply uninstalling Quicktime...now I have the "quicktime Alternative" it works fine for me and doesn't try to hijack my computer like Quicktime does....ditto Realplayer....I'm so sick of these programs that are almost essential to playing media on the web taking over your box and doing all kind of sneaky shit without you knowing about it especially Realplayer, Winamp always connecting to the internet when I start it, etc. etc....bullshit.
It's the PC problem really, applications are allowed to grab huge chunks of real estate that isn't meant for that app. Real Player, Windows Media, and Quicktime don't mess with each other on mac.
You can run all three effectively on PC, but you need to know how to tell the app which file extension types it can grab.

D DAS

Post by D DAS » Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:56 am

sure, some of his demo looks a bit frooty, but that is an amazing leap, in 5 years that tech will be the shit.

i agree, a group of people doing a live performance with that would be pretty cool if they had it down. imagine Bunny from Rabbit in the Moon doing his live shit with that, that would be perfect.

i personally, (while at home alone with the curtains closed) would like to program my drums using that, why not.

but i'll wait for that idea to advance before i get one, it looks like your in a body brace you would get from a car wreck.

my 2 cents

d das

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:33 am

There is a cheaper option that might achieve a similar effect (in theory)

Gaffa tape long, bamboo-like sticks to your arms and legs, then while balancing on a bar stool, you can push the sliders and knobs on your UC-33 or Drehbank. It makes it easier if you put rubber on the ends of the sticks, that way they don't slip around quite so easily.

I recon that'd go down better live than those contraptions on that site, it'd have an earthier vibe. Maybe play some Goa Trance with it?

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:54 am

onyxashanti wrote:fuck off!! sorry for those of you that are too cool, but that shit looks dope as hell to me. the contraption looks retarded, but the technology is hot.
so basically, what you're saying is that although it doesn't look hot at all, you can imagine doing cool stuff with it? That seems to be the general concensus here, i think ?
onyxashanti wrote:wait til that shit just fits under your shirt sleeves and is easily configurable. to be able to, wirelessly, control the lights, video, and music...while playing guitar or something. ya'll can diss, but i want one.
onyx
Thing is: it already does. Flexion sensors have been around for ages, and dance suits have been done since the friggin 80s. For 40€ per flexion sensor: http://www.eowave.com/page_produit.php?prod=13 , and the price of a small ucapps system you'll be ready to rock out. They even have 2-way G-Force detectors :)
If anyone's interested I could probably do a very small, modular and discrete system for you at about the same price as the gypsy.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:55 pm

the good
who exactly says that a hair metal guitarist weilding his axe looks good?
it's all convention. Just a few years ago audiences complained that bald men checking their email looks stupid as a performance art and now everyone has realised that ... er, bad example.

this thing is brutal looking stupid ass technology, when I was ten years old this is exactly what I wanted to be weilding in the year 2006.

the bad
The problem is that it turns music making into a kind of dance, which is a bit daft. Dance is an art of gesture that is very dificult in its own right. It just doubles the toughness to expect good looking movement that produces good sounding noise.
We dont need gestures mapped to midi notes, we need a virtualised control surface and a HUD. I want to see a personalised interface as large as my personal space and use the bionic arms to stroke my interface. With haptic feedback.

Now that would be something. Who knows - perhaps these people will get there.

ILTK

Post by ILTK » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:45 pm

Martyn wrote:There is a cheaper option that might achieve a similar effect (in theory)

Gaffa tape long, bamboo-like sticks to your arms and legs, then while balancing on a bar stool, you can push the sliders and knobs on your UC-33 or Drehbank. It makes it easier if you put rubber on the ends of the sticks, that way they don't slip around quite so easily.

I recon that'd go down better live than those contraptions on that site, it'd have an earthier vibe. Maybe play some Goa Trance with it?
I'd like to see this guy play some goa rifs, would look like he had a stroke :twisted:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... q=Horn+Guy

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:45 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
djadonis206 wrote: God I hate quicktime and Itunes with a passion
Like Real Player or Windows Media are any better? Seriously they all suck, but I have them all, simply because they each have their strengths and weaknesses.
I just bought the 30GB ipod, and I can't think of anything bad to say about it, but then I've never bought anything off of itunes, I just load my CD collection into it.

This reminds me... the one thing I was going to do with iTunes.... get all the tracks I like off people's albums that were engineered by the Neptunes. :wink:
I have to say though, that iTunes is a different experiance on a mac, with its thousands of free scripts. Scripts makes it a lot eazier to use.

martin808

Post by martin808 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:51 pm

ILTK wrote: I'd like to see this guy play some goa rifs, would look like he had a stroke :twisted:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... q=Horn+Guy
that's as funny as fuck :lol:

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:29 pm

while we're dropping links and being geeky:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 1377218673
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

martin808

Post by martin808 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:48 am

gay-

not gay-

went to the gypsy

Post by went to the gypsy » Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:30 am

Dear Family,

I have been suspecting something ever since you told me I was almost broke last Christmas.....