Recording Clips

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Paul Nolan

Recording Clips

Post by Paul Nolan » Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:01 am

right i may be asking a completely stupid question here, or making myself sound like an idiot without a clue about Live, but, i have a question!

i'm in the middle of a project, and i want to vary the beats to build things up and break off to release pressure, create interesting fills etc, so naturally i'm going down the beat repeat route at present (and what a route it is! absolutley LOVE beat repeat now i've gotten my head around it)

so, what i want to know is if i can capture various states within beat repeat as a stand alone clip within live so i can basically use them as standard building blocks to make things easier when it comes to arrangement?

anyone with any opinions, tips or useful info?

this is just one option, as i'm seriously considering just performing the track, midi / automation and all and then just rendering it, as it might sound a bit more raw and in the moment

let me know what you guys think...of this question, and id also be interested to hear what you all make of beat repeat as well

Michael-SW

Post by Michael-SW » Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:34 pm

I'm not very familiar with Beat Repeat (still on Live 4), but I guess that it has some randomness built in?

What I would do is to play my loops through BR and record to another track for a while. Then start cutting in Arrangement view and save the best few 4 bar loops or so. Or maybe cut it up even finer and reassemble back to loops.

Inductive

A neat way to work with beatrepeat

Post by Inductive » Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:31 pm

Ok, this is acualy part of a thing I'm writing about in another post. Start a new file in Live. You need 2 Audio tracks. Put a drum loop or something in '1 Audio'. Loop it so you have something on beat. Now, set the 'Audio To' setting in '1 Audio' to '2 Audio'. Make sure 'Monitor' is set to Auto.

Now, in the '2 Audio' track set 'Monitor' to IN, and 'Audio From' to '1 Audio'. Its like an uh, hardwired effect track now. Anyway, copy the drumloop clip from the first audio track to the second. Open the new clip (in the second audio track) by double clicking it. On the Launch panel set 'Follow Action A' to any. Now make a bunch of copies of this clip (I made twelve while I'm typing this). Draw envelopes in the Clip Editor for each pattern. I set my envelopes up to randomize the Offset param in beatrepeat. So for the 12 patterns, i made an envelope for offset. Pattern 1 was a solid offset value of 12, pattern 2 was 10, pattern 3 was 8 etc... down to -12. So when you hit play those patterns jump around randomly thereby randomizing the offset param. You can do this with any setting in any effect or vst/vsti. I havn't seen anything on this method in live on this forum so I'm working on another big post. Give me a few more days I'm lazy.

Oh yeah, so this is whats happening. Audio 01 sends its sound to Audio 02, Audio 01 can be anything, not just a drumloop. This can be done with live input or whatever. When the clip is copied to Audio 02 its just as a dummy to make envelopes with. But clip instances dont take up harddisk space and it was already the right length for this. You dont hear the acual clip audio in Audio 02 because the 'Audio In' setting is Audio 01.

I kinda wish I could make clips for the return tracks but this workaround makes me work in neat diffrent ways.

[EDIT] As a sidenote this only realy works in session view. To do it in the arrangement view you have to be a little trickier. You'll need midi yoke. It should realy come with every piece of software that uses midi. It should be built into windows realy. Anyway, the direction to look in there is setting a midi track up with a bunch of C's in a pattern run through (from?) a random midi effect. Map those notes to the param you want to randomize (I will figure this out at some point later then now). Or just render a big chunk to another audio track and keep the neat parts and be done with it.