Live 5.0.3 starts in the middle of the beat

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
illsub1

Post by illsub1 » Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:14 pm

Yes please make this behavior selectable in preferences!!!!! Also someone from HQ please respond!!!!!!

dubbyah

Post by dubbyah » Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:34 pm

I wish the ableton team would just add a preference, it would solve ALOT of problems, and it wouldnt be hard to do either!!!

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:56 pm

hoffman2k wrote:Yeah. Live should have the 2 modes.

This "fixed" way makes sense, because it's a clever way of arranging on the fly.
But i only see the benefits of it with long audio files or sequences.

Figuring Live was "broken", we all got used to a clip starting at the beginning. (or wherever we set the start marker.

Have some compasion for the people who enjoy some of your "bugs/features"

Give us the 2 modes and perhaps come up with a third. Live is not nearly confusing enough. (patch cables, anybody?)

And for god sake, keep warm and drink lots of chicken soup. :wink:
Perfectly stated.

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:09 pm

Perhaps this is all a method for ableton to gauge our effectiveness as beta testers, or motivate us to test harder before installing a less than preferred update. Regardless, I find this particular change, nor a warning of its presence professional.

Between this and the hoodie that missed x-mas and my birthday me AND my mom are
very dissapointed with ableton this month. :cry:

kennerb

Post by kennerb » Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:51 pm

LOFA wrote:Perhaps this is all a method for ableton to gauge our effectiveness as beta testers, or motivate us to test harder before installing a less than preferred update. Regardless, I find this particular change, nor a warning of its presence professional.

Between this and the hoodie that missed x-mas and my birthday me AND my mom are
very dissapointed with ableton this month. :cry:
Don't mess with a mad mom! :D

I don't see how beta testing has any relevance. It did not operate this way until 5.0.3 so there wasn't anything to dislike about it.
3ghz Pentium 4 (Prescott), XP Sp2, 1gig Ram, Dual Monitor with Matrox Millenium, MOTU Traveler, Event EZ8 Adat card. Also IBM THinkpad t40 1.6 1 gig ram

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:21 pm

Yeah, It was never a problem before

A selectable mode - yes

I was trippin' I was like why is my loop starting in the middle of the beat

I don't hit the tab key to arrange until I got all my ducks in a row so this feature is pretty useless (or bug fix shall I say)

and then when I am in arrange view if I have to bounce down or something i always start on the 1

this is weird - totally screwed me up

please make it a selection because I want to turn it off

thanks

a
Ableton | Elektron

Music

mosca

Post by mosca » Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:39 pm

back to 5.0.2 as well for me

henry ford

Post by henry ford » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:23 pm

Stefan Haller wrote: In 5.0.3, we changed the behaviour so that the clips retain their fire times (relative to the arranger) .....

im not sure i fully understand , ..but if this makes sense in the arranger view , why did you code it in a way that it operates this way in the session view too.....where we are all used to something much different and have been for a long time

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:26 pm

Henry, "the arranger" also refers to the "absolute time" that is displayed in session view as well.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

henry ford

Post by henry ford » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:36 pm

oh

well , i still think it should operate differently in the session view. the time line thing shouldnt take priority in session view

what do you think ?

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:40 pm

well that's a totally different subject I guess - there are many benefits to having the interaction of the two - notably the ability to record from session into arrange, of course.

Also, I like being able to fastforward through long files in session view by tweaking the arranger parameter. Also looks cool if you've left the session run for ages and clock up a few thousand bars...
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

henry ford

Post by henry ford » Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:25 pm

Machinate wrote: Also, I like being able to fastforward through long files in session view by tweaking the arranger parameter. Also looks cool if you've left the session run for ages and clock up a few thousand bars...
whats using the timeline to fastforward with , got to do with this problem ?

my point was not to dismiss the usefullness of the timeline at the top of the screen in session view , my point was that in session view live5 should not operate in such a way that is counterproductive , or only useful in the arranger view. if at all

in session view , it should operate as it has all along , with the timeline at the top being a reference guide. and used to fastforward etc. the functioning of live5 in session view , should not be dictated by some wacky logic applicable to the arranger.

unusable

Post by unusable » Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:43 pm

being a relatively new user I was absolutely confused after I updated(until coming across this thread) I though I was loosing it. I'm still working on the orange dot.

My limited experience with live (I've used other sequencing/recording apps for years) tells me a clip that starts on 1.1.1, should always do so. Now I gotta try and find 5.02,

please "re-break" this.

madlab

Post by madlab » Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:10 am

unusable wrote: I'm still working on the orange dot.
I missed something. What is the orange dot ?
Aboard from V. 1
MBP M1 Pro 2021 - 16 Go RAM - Monterey 12.6.3
MBP 2.5 Ghz I7 16 Go SSD OSX 10.14
iPad + Mira+ TouchOsc
RME FF UC Live 11.3.21 M4L Max 8
Band : https://elastocat.org/
Madlab sound unit / objects, guitar, electronics / end_of_transmission

unusable

Post by unusable » Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:33 pm

do a search "fucking orange dot". There's tons of info out there.

I can't find 5.02 and didn't appear to have any problems with it, if anyone has the PC update still zipped please PM me.

thanks
shawn