Follow Action that trigger scene

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
wayne

Follow Action that trigger scene

Post by wayne » Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:34 pm

Allow an option for each follow action to trigger the scene containing the clip that is followed-onto. That way, you could use MIDI clips or blank clips to trigger sequences of scenes.

That is, whatever clip would be triggered as the result of a follow action would cause the scene that contains it to be triggered. Then, you could have a track that has follow-action-driven sequences of scenes. I think this would be pretty cool.

Nixon

Post by Nixon » Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:11 pm

you can! send the midi from this clips to iac and set it to remote...then assign the midi.

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:15 pm

Nixon wrote:you can! send the midi from this clips to iac and set it to remote...then assign the midi.
That's what I do. Another great advantage is that, with the IAC driver, you can make lots of 'mini scenes' out of any clip you want, rather than always triggering entire scenes. Fantastic for generating random yet controlled lighting and video sequences beatmatched to the audio!

telekom

Re: Follow Action that trigger scene

Post by telekom » Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:40 pm

wayne wrote: That is, whatever clip would be triggered as the result of a follow action would cause the scene that contains it to be triggered. Then, you could have a track that has follow-action-driven sequences of scenes. I think this would be pretty cool.
Hi Wayne,
You could kludge this by having the same follow actions in the same row of clips for each track. That would do the same thing as triggering scenes with a follow action essentially...

HTH :)
MacBook Pro Retina, Live 9.5, Reason, UC33, KRK RP5s, Teenage Engineering OP1, Korg ESX2, Korg Prophecy, Clavia Nord Lead, Bass, Guitars.
http://soundcloud.com/motorradkinophone

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:47 pm

The huge advantage of using IAC-driver 'mini-scenes' with follow actions is that the IAC chords can reference clips from anywhere the session view, as long as each clip is in a unique track (column). They don't all have to be in the same scene (row).

One limitation is that each IAC driver can only reference 128 clips. That sounds like a lot, but when you're controlling 60+ lighting and video tracks, you soon eat 'em up. Fortunately, you can use all 16 channels per IAC port, but if you're still short, you can make more IAC ports!

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:24 am

hambone1 wrote: but if you're still short, you can make more IAC ports!
I don't think so, man. Live can't differentiate between different midi ports for midi assignments, can it? It would be cool if it did though...
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:59 am

As far as I can see, you can create and use as many virtual ports with the IAC driver as you want (I gave up after making 20 as a test).

It's just a virtual MIDI interface. If Live couldn't see multiple ports, I couldn't use my Midisport 4x4, either.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:02 am

hambone1 wrote: If Live couldn's see multiple ports, I couldn't use my M-Audio 4 x 4, either.
I didn't say it couldn't see them, I said it can't differentiate between them when assigning midi. The individual track inputs are differentiated, however the midi assignment part is not.

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:06 am

I see! (said the blind carpenter as he picked up his hammer and saw...)

I didn't think about that. For MIDI mapping to clips and scenes, Live only sees a channel and note, so that's 16 x 128 = ummm..... lots, still!

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:10 am

I am binge drinking to try to get to sleep right now, but I have a feeling that this is one of the most important threads I have seen in a long time!

Hambone, Machinate or anyone else... could you please layout in plain English what exactly you are doing with the IAC port? I admit that I only know of it as the generic OSX midi protocol...

How can could all of this work!

OK I'm gonna go dream about it because my head just exploded trying to imagine these implications!!!

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Really though... what's going on here? (burp)

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:19 am

Basically, the IAC driver is nothing more than a 'virtual' MIDI interface. You could accomplish the same objective if you sent a MIDI track to a real MIDI interface, and then right back in.

The advantage is that you can use the incoming MIDI to trigger clips and scenes, just as if you had played the note or chord on a MIDI keyboard in MIDI mapping mode. So, if you input a chord or a single note into a clip, trigger the clip, and send the resulting notes to the IAC driver, Live can see those notes and launch the clips and/or scenes that are mapped to them.

One clip can launch any and all manner of clips/scenes this way. By doing follow actions on one track, you can follow action complete, complex scenes in any way you can think of.

Not too sure if that helps!

:?
Last edited by hambone1 on Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:26 am

hambone1 wrote: For MIDI mapping to clips and scenes, Live only sees a channel and note, so that's 16 x 128 = ummm..... lots, still!
and don't forget cc's... so that's 16 x(128+128)=4096 ... and if your live set needs more controllers, then you need to get out more! :D

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:04 pm

Machinate wrote:
hambone1 wrote: For MIDI mapping to clips and scenes, Live only sees a channel and note, so that's 16 x 128 = ummm..... lots, still!
and don't forget cc's... so that's 16 x(128+128)=4096 ... and if your live set needs more controllers, then you need to get out more! :D
Hmm... I haven't had to work with cc's yet, though my initial holiday max training is in full effect so that should change soon(?). How do I engage them throgh the Live interface? Do I need some sort of translator?

:) This is very exciting

Nixon

Post by Nixon » Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:48 am

and automation is assignable too, so draw and enjoy!

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Sun Dec 25, 2005 9:40 am

hambone1 wrote:Basically, the IAC driver is nothing more than a 'virtual' MIDI interface. You could accomplish the same objective if you sent a MIDI track to a real MIDI interface, and then right back in.

The advantage is that you can use the incoming MIDI to trigger clips and scenes, just as if you had played the note or chord on a MIDI keyboard in MIDI mapping mode. So, if you input a chord or a single note into a clip, trigger the clip, and send the resulting notes to the IAC driver, Live can see those notes and launch the clips and/or scenes that are mapped to them.

One clip can launch any and all manner of clips/scenes this way. By doing follow actions on one track, you can follow action complete, complex scenes in any way you can think of.

Not too sure if that helps!

:?
Thanks, you made this very clear. I have been slaying dragons with this all night! However, I am curious how follow actions can send midi commands through IAC? I have been doing this through KTdrumtrigger, but I cant figure out what element of follow actions can trigger scenes or send midi...
Machinate wrote:
With regards to my experimentations with Ktdrumtrigger (as I have not yet figured out how to send midi commands with follow actions) how can I access these CC's for more functionality? Control-aid?
Nixon wrote:and automation is assignable too, so draw and enjoy!
Whoaaaa... what are you getting at here? Sending midi commands through automation, or controlling automation via IAC linkage?

Teacher! My Brain is Full!

Sorry for Hijacking this thread, but it seems like his answer was solved...
Merry Festivus!