Hard power inconsistency! ibook & powerbook performance

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
multidiletant

Hard power inconsistency! ibook & powerbook performance

Post by multidiletant » Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:56 pm

hi,
i bought a new powerbook g4 15" and ended up in total frustration:
has anybody an explenation or a hint to solve the following problem:

live 4.?? (latest) respectively 5.02 running on
ibook 1,2ghz 1,25gb 10.4.3
vs.
powerbook 1,67ghz 1,5gb 10.4.3

and the powerbook is SLOWER!!!! i am getting ill ...

both have same:
live setup, plugins, latest dirvers, latency, interfaces (using either internal audio or external), system installation (not cloned), power settings, etc..

e.g. the 50% test tone with internal audio interface is crackle free reproduced by the ibook at 48 samples the powerbook roughly needs 78
but external audio interface shows the same behavior ...

the perfomance test song shows correct behavior (ib 75% pb 62%) the ableton demo song has already equal percentage, the test-tone shows opposite, and my setup confirms the slowness of the powerbook.

please send me a hint, is there something wrong with the latest powerbook audio hardware (or core audio working with the latest hardware)?

neither ableton support nor apple could help (up to now ) ...

please help !!!
best regards
m.

unusable

Post by unusable » Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:07 pm

sorry to say I had the same unfortunate experience with a brand new powerbook. I wanted to keep it badly, but just couldn't justify it's lack of processing power. I went through tons of suggestions, apple support and everything unders the sun, I ended up sending it back. I bought a wintel, with tons more juice, ram, 2 x 7200 internal HD's for $300 less.

honestly it scared the shit out of me when I saw what was happening and then did some digging. Go find the Live 5 Performance test and you'll see why I got scared. I just kinda figured " the best powerbook will obviously handle Live", and I know it does for people, but I had the same experience as you have stated. good luck

shawn

nobbystylus

Post by nobbystylus » Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:27 pm

Did you have Energy Saver set to 'highest performance'?
http://www.myspace.com/wardclerk
http://www.myspace.com/bighairufreqs
LIVE 8.21/ Reaktor 5.51/VDMX/Quartz Composer

multidiletant

Post by multidiletant » Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:07 am

@nobbystylus: power settings = energy saver settings, i just forgot how it is called in the english system, yes everything had the same settings, even network, bluetooth, ... i also checked the acivity monitor for all (not only user) processes: nothing special except core audio and live did take much more processor percentage ...

@unusable / hi shawn
thanx, for the reply, i thought i was stupid, but probably apple changed the audio path into a piece of sh*t, or at least they didn´t adapt/optimize the core audio driver according to the new hardware. of course i also loved the rest of the new powerbook :-)
i just didn´t understand exactly the content of your second paragraph, is there another (older) powerbook which does the job much better?
btw, what wintel book did you buy?

i will send it back tomorrow :-( and i will see what comes in january from apple, then i will redecide ...

unusable

Post by unusable » Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:43 pm

windows - intel machine. I went with a PC instead.

StompyJ

Post by StompyJ » Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:29 am

multi, did you send it back?
no longer needed. this is for you. you know who you are.

multidiletant

Post by multidiletant » Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:28 am

yes, i sent it back ....

don´t say you have a solution for the problem now ;-) ??

well nevertheless i will re-decide ... and wait for the moment
(wintel, mactel, or even going back to make music with less or without computers ...)

i did my gig yesterday with my "old" ibook (see my first post) and everything worked fine. even sending midi over airport for visuals synchronization :-)

thanks again, shawn, for joining the experience, and not letting me alone in thinking i am too stupid ...