Uhh, there are some problems here.....

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
nebulae

Post by nebulae » Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:28 pm

CloudyJim wrote:nubelae,
Also, it's nebulae, not nubelae :)

Or just Neb is fine :D

CloudyJim

Post by CloudyJim » Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:31 pm

nebulae wrote:
CloudyJim wrote:nubelae,

You are right, that image wasn't exactly right. Your description of isolating an interior cycle IS what I have been talking about. However, if the markers were moved to the 4 and 6, part of the note on 4 would be at 3.95 and part of the note on 6 would be at 6.1, creating a hiccup. At least that was my experience.

"And you do not have to stick to exactly the marker...meaning you need not assign the loop points quantized."

Ohhh. This may be what I need to hear. I mentioned that i tried to find a section of the tutorial that explained quantization in-depth and couldn't . I have a feeling this is where the whole problem lies. I tried setting it to 1/4, 1/16, and 1/32 and was never sure what the difference was.
The quantize is probably what's messing you up. If you set the loop points without snapping to find where you want to loop, you can then adjust the warp markers later so that what you are looping is time synched perfectly to your tempo. But get the loop right first.

Also, as you get the hang of this more and more, warping and looping will become second nature...trust me this gets really really easy.
So, Quantizing is effectively "snapping"?

borg

Post by borg » Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:32 pm

i know i'm repeating myself, but:

make sure that you only have one warp marker active (green), make all the others (if there are any) grey by double clicking them. then move the green warp marker labeled '1'. you don't need the grid to be off or anything to move it to exactly the spot you want. set loop length to 1.0.0 or 2.0.0 or whatever.
now if your playing is as steady as you say it is, you should be able to have a quasi perfect loop. if not double click the grey warp marker where your right loop bracket is (it'll be green again) and adjust it to taste. if this gets you a warbly result, experiment with the warp modes (complex for best, but cpu heavy. texture or tone give good results too, choose depending on your source sound)... or record again.
andy
2015 MBP, OSX 10.12, Live 10.1 64bit, RME Fireface 800

CloudyJim

Post by CloudyJim » Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:37 am

I feel like an idiot. Maybe i was just tired yesterday. I clicked and activated warp markers instead of moving the yellow "1" and setting the loop length. Today, I tried again and it instantly made sense. Yesterday, I was looking in the documentation instead of simply clicking and dragging that first beat.

I guess this was an epic thread about not much.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:39 am

CloudyJim wrote:I feel like an idiot. Maybe i was just tired yesterday. I clicked and activated warp markers instead of moving the yellow "1" and setting the loop length. Today, I tried again and it instantly made sense. Yesterday, I was looking in the documentation instead of simply clicking and dragging that first beat.

I guess this was an epic thread about not much.
Patience, young grasshoppa...

:)