Another beta is available: Live 5.0.3b5!

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
Hedroom

Post by Hedroom » Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:54 pm

Hi Alex.

MIDI clips are being easily disrupted by anything that slightly taxes the cpu. Basically upon carrying out an action such as scrolling the horizontal scroll bar or exanding folders in the browser causes the stream of MIDI data to drop out. Notes are played late and then try and catch up. This isn't a subtle timing thing but it is as if there is a complete bottleneck in the MIDI data.

My studio machine is a P4 2.0 Ghz with 1Gb RAM. I've not tried MIDI on my performance laptop yet.

Can I also confirm that all of the following issues still exist in b5 (described in more detail here http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 4&start=30:

1)UAD-1 resources not cleared upon closing a set
2)Freezing a track doesn't free up UAD-1 resources
3)In a track I may use more instances of UAD-1 plugs than can be used simulaneously (turning them on and off). Unfortunately, rendering appears to need enough UAD-1 resources to turn on all plugs, thus I am unable to render my work.

I am still concerned about the other bugs I posted there but as yet haven't had time to test them all (have a lot on at the moment). I am particularly worried about the bug which just "appeared" in 5.02 whereby audio clips would glitch upon first launch. Clearing prefs or launching another version of live would temporarily solve the problem. Since this problem manifested itself late in the day I am worried that it may also rear its head in 5.03.

Sorry for the long post, I will now send some bug reports to the office too.

Cheers
Last edited by Hedroom on Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

krikor

Post by krikor » Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:07 pm

Come on! all my other application don't have any problems like that! stop blamming the hardware! I don't get those digital clics or cracks with logic or protools.

Hedroom

Post by Hedroom » Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:26 pm

OK, since other people have mentioned it:

I don't think the glitch on clip/scene launch is hardware related. It "sounds" like it's the hard disk struggling.

However,

5.02 worked fine for me for ages and then I suddenly started getting this exact same problem straight after defragmenting my disk (I foolishly did this just before a gig as I thought it would aid smooth performance!!!). Upon launching a clip for the first time the audio would glitch. Subsequent launches were fine. Interestingly, only some of the clips in my set suffer this problem (they are all in the same 2 tracks) - and each time I load the set it's always the same ones.

This is the horrible bit though...
Before my set I would launch each scene once to get all the glitches out of the system so that by the time it was my set, Live would be glitch-free and all ready to go. However, after launching a number of glitchy clips Ableton would get even worse. It would start sounding like a cd skipping. Sounding exactly like the hard drive skipping. My housemate can verify the exact same issue on a differnent machine.

The following demonstrates that it isn't a hardware problem:

If I cleared the prefs.cfg file the problem would go away until I rebooted, and then come back. Alternatively, if I open 5.01 the problem goes away. Subsequently opening of 5.02 causes no more problems either. Clearly not a hardware problem.

I can also say that I have been suffering from this problem intermittently in every version of live since the final revision of Live 4.

With respect to this issue 5.03b5 is working fine so far (I haven't had much time to extensively test though I have a gig on Friday). However, this fact doesn't entirely reassure me as 5.02 worked fine initially too.

I am, however, reassured by the fact that I am not unique in suffering this problem. Hopefully it will make it easier to solve.

Alex

Post by Alex » Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:11 pm

Hi folks,

this thread is getting bigger and bigger and for every question I tell one person I get 3 answers from others too. So I would ask you to drop me a mail or to create a separate thread instead of adding new issues to this thread. Thanks.

leandro,

I can not and want not force you to try out the beta. The beta itself contains several bug fixes that solved or at least reduced "click and pop" problems for several users.

But on the Mac there is still the problem that a connected (if used or not makes no big difference) FW audio interface leads to periodically system spikes, which again can result in clicks and pops. This is easily visible via the OS X activity monitor tool.

shurik,
for me yes, I tryed beta5 and get the same hickups..If its not the programm, I wonder if something is maybe wrong with my HD? or rather the RAM?
what do you think could be responsible for the "drrrrrrrrrrrrrrrt" hangers?
Please take the time to explain a bit more detailed what exactly you do and with which computer and Audio/MIDI hardware, additionally to your posting in:
http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27979 but it

krikor,
Come on! all my other application don't have any problems like that! stop blamming the hardware! I don't get those digital clics or cracks with logic or protools.
I can not remember that I said once there is any hardware to blame (beside the problem with the FW audio interface above).
I remember that you post in another thread that you have this issue on a G5 but not on your powerbook? Is that still right?
Do you already have tried the beta?

Splashmas,
MIDI clips are being easily disrupted by anything that slightly taxes the cpu. Basically upon carrying out an action such as scrolling the horizontal scroll bar or exanding folders in the browser cases the stream of MIDI data to drop out. Notes are played late and then try and catch up. This isn't a subtle timing thing but it is as if there is a complete bottleneck in the MIDI data.
So you play a MIDI clip (within Live) in a MID track with a certain instrument (which one?) and when scrolling somewhere your hear MIDI notes coming to late?

Concerning the UAD, are the resources clear when you load an empty document (without any UAD plug instance) after one with UAD plug-ins?

Before my set I would launch each scene once to get all the glitches out of the system so that by the time it was my set, Live would be glitch-free and all ready to go. However, after launching a number of glitchy clips Ableton would get even worse. It would start sounding like a cd skipping. Sounding exactly like the hard drive skipping. My housemate can verify the exact same issue on a differnent machine.
This is exactly one of the issue that should be addressed within the Live 5.0.3 beta, the reducing a memory for each used physical audio file in general and the disabling of the system cache for Windows.

regards,
/Alex

serotoninsteve

Post by serotoninsteve » Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:35 pm

This is exactly one of the issue that should be addressed within the Live 5.0.3 beta, the reducing a memory for each used physical audio file in general and the disabling of the system cache for Windows.
It feels very good here, even on my Internet windows with a lot of background services running I get no glitches anymore. Before I could run Live only on my tweaked down Xp with always a few small glitches.

Good work.

Greetings
MBP 15,4" 2,53GHz C2D 4Gb late 2008 / Mac OS X.6.2 / Novation Remote 37SL Compact / TriggerFinger / FaderfoxDJ2 / Padkontrol / UC33 / SM Audio TB202 / Audiofire2 / Apogee Duet / Event OPAL's / HD25 /

krikor

Post by krikor » Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:37 am

Alex,
krikor,
I can not remember that I said once there is any hardware to blame (beside the problem with the FW audio interface above).
I remember that you post in another thread that you have this issue on a G5 but not on your powerbook? Is that still right?
I was not talking about you but the precedent post, i should have quoted sorry.
I have issue on my G5 using my RME hammerfall and my UAD-1 or using the internal soundcard, i didn't have problem with my Pbook, nevertheless a friend of mine working on SONY laptop centrino powered encounters the same problem, it seems it is not really linked to a particular hardware or platform.
Again i don't have any problem using the same platform with other daw.
I don't work much on the laptop for sequecing in the arrangement window, so i can't really compare, anyway it is still very weird as the most cpu hungry tracks are not always the ones that get this bug. Also i noticed that this behavior doesn't seem to happen while in session!! for example i never get this while on stage.
Those clicks appear on render offline but also on playback

leandro

Post by leandro » Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:25 am

leandro,

I can not and want not force you to try out the beta. The beta itself contains several bug fixes that solved or at least reduced "click and pop" problems for several users.

But on the Mac there is still the problem that a connected (if used or not makes no big difference) FW audio interface leads to periodically system spikes, which again can result in clicks and pops. This is easily visible via the OS X activity monitor tool.
ok, cool... i´ll install the beta after this weekend and let u know how it works for me

regarding to the FW issue... well, i dont have this "periodical system spikes", the audio drop outs happens when i hit on a clip, turn on a filter for the first time (the same if i hadnt used it for a while), move a clip to another track, etc

thnx again... i´ll open another thread when i test the beta
iMac i7 - Macbook Pro i7 - Motu 8pre FW + 828 MKii - SSD HD

krikor

Post by krikor » Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:01 pm

krikor wrote:
Alex,
krikor,
I was not talking about you but the precedent post, i should have quoted sorry.
I have issue on my G5 using my RME hammerfall and my UAD-1 or using the internal soundcard, i didn't have problem with my Pbook, nevertheless a friend of mine working on SONY laptop centrino powered encounters the same problem, it seems it is not really linked to a particular hardware or platform.
Again i don't have any problem using the same platform with other daw.
I don't work much on the laptop for sequecing in the arrangement window, so i can't really compare, anyway it is still very weird as the most cpu hungry tracks are not always the ones that get this bug. Also i noticed that this behavior doesn't seem to happen while in session!! for example i never get this while on stage.
Those clicks appear on render offline but also on playback

I forget to mention that i did not install the beta as i wanted to read other user feedback regarding this before. I'm working on some very important work right now and as the crash auto save function is usualy disable in betas i don't want to loose what i'm doing...