Midi record timing still not right in 5.0.3b4

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:08 pm

You know what's cool? That you CAN record with SIR in a return track now, just don't send the instrument you're recording to it, or there will be a massive delay.
But everyhting else sounds normal, because of PDC, and after you record - all the notes will be in the right place because of the new Beta (and user feedback) :D :D

Synthbuilder

Post by Synthbuilder » Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:27 pm

icedsushi wrote:Hmmm...since this beta, could that mean the Live has some of the best midi timing compared to other sequencers with PDC turned on now? :D
Except when you are using Rewire. On my machine I have to turn PDC off otherwise Reason is out of sync with Live. And because I have a problem using negative track delays I can't compensate for it either. :-(

astar

Post by astar » Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:44 pm

djsynchro wrote:You know what's cool? That you CAN record with SIR in a return track now, just don't send the instrument you're recording to it, or there will be a massive delay.
But everyhting else sounds normal, because of PDC, and after you record - all the notes will be in the right place because of the new Beta (and user feedback) :D :D
yo that's awesome! So much better now... SIRs are in return tracks on every track for me now, yes SIR :D
Asus A8JS, Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 2GHz, 2GB DDR2 667Mhz, 100GB 5400RPM SATA, Echo Indigo IOX, Windows XP SP3, Live 8.0.5

icedsushi

Post by icedsushi » Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:57 pm

Guess I'm out of the loop SIR. I don't know what SIR is.

Casual Beats

Post by Casual Beats » Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:11 pm

icedsushi wrote:Guess I'm out of the loop SIR. I don't know what SIR is.
Sir is a software reverb that works with impulse responses. You can get more info on it here - http://www.knufinke.de/sir/index_en.html

cheers.

iain.morland

Post by iain.morland » Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:33 pm

Apologies for re-stating, but could someone answer the questions I asked above? Just because, as a newbie, if I'm going to test it, I need to make sure I'm doing the right thing:
BUT everyone should be happy to know that if you simply turn off the delay compensation then all 3 methods of recording produce identical results.
Sorry to ask the obvious, but do you mean reduce the delay compensation (in the "x.xx ms + x.xx ms =" options area) to 0.00, or are you talking about switching off PDC?
Regarding that remaining very small delay, can someone tell me (as a newcomer) whether this is something that should be compensated on individual midi tracks (in the 'multitrack' view), or by adjusting the overall midi latency in the options panel?
Thanks very much! :wink:

LesC

Post by LesC » Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:43 pm

djsynchro wrote: Yo Les!

Wassup boyyyyy?
Like the new Beta?
Like the timing?
Yes? No?

:D
Definitely an improvement, thanks for asking, djsynchro...

I still think there should be zero difference between recorded clips whether monitoring is set to IN, AUTO or OFF. But I'm happy that the difference is now insignificant.

Thanks to Alex and Ableton for getting this one figured out. I was starting to think we weren't going to get on the same page with this problem. whew.
Les