Hey... Sennheiser HD25 users...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Sales Dude McBoob

Hey... Sennheiser HD25 users...

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:07 pm

I just bought a pair of HD25s, took them out of the box and popped them on my head. They seem a bit tight 8O

The reason I got them was months ago I grabbed a bunch of my favorite headphones and shot them out. I liked the HD25 the best sound-wise. I guess at the time didn't take into account 'head-squeezing-factor'. :oops:

I'll give them the listen test tonight. But dang. They're tight!

So my question... Do they loosen up over time? Is it worth the wait?

How come I sell headphones all week long and tell people what to get for themselves but I can't pick a pair I like?????

Nixon

Post by Nixon » Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:10 pm

well, they don't really get alot wider than out of the box... after wearing them more then an our my ears hurt from the squeezing! :?

they are my favorite headphones of all though!

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:17 pm

mcBoob, if it helps then I can tell you that this is more a problem of the *type* of headphone, than the brand. Many of these closed "on-the-ear" 'phones do get painful after a while, but then again it's a handy reminder to give your ears a rest every now and then...
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

silliwilli

Post by silliwilli » Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:22 am

yeh my mdr v700's get a bit sore on the ear after a while.

was thinking of the sennheisers for xmas...are they much better?

musick

Post by musick » Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:18 am

silliwilli wrote:yeh my mdr v700's get a bit sore on the ear after a while.

was thinking of the sennheisers for xmas...are they much better?
My Sony v700 starts to break apart (as these always do), so I don't want to buy the same cheapo plastic type back again and am also thinking about the HD25.

Does anybody know if they are loud enough and have enough 'base'? I liked the base of the Sony ones.

thx1138

Post by thx1138 » Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:26 am

I used HD25's for 6 years before I bought my Shure E5's they hurt your head after a while I always found.

The sound is great and the built quality is second to none.

Gotta say I don't miss em now though 8)
Macbook Pro C2D2.5 17"/4G/OSX.5.6/Live8.12/Brain/Bla bla bla bla

serotoninsteve

Post by serotoninsteve » Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:36 am

I bought mine second hand about amonth ago, from a guy with a big head.
I don´t know if they where thighter when they where new, but for Dj use they need to be thight to isolate from the external noise and for me it´s ok. You could put them on a large box and try to heat the plastic with a hairdryer, perhaps they´ll loose up a bit then. And yes, they are really loud and have real bass compared to others.

Greetings
MBP 15,4" 2,53GHz C2D 4Gb late 2008 / Mac OS X.6.2 / Novation Remote 37SL Compact / TriggerFinger / FaderfoxDJ2 / Padkontrol / UC33 / SM Audio TB202 / Audiofire2 / Apogee Duet / Event OPAL's / HD25 /

minimal

Post by minimal » Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:52 am

I have the same headpones and because I wear glasses I can't wear the sennheiser for more that 30 minutes and I feel pain at the ears.
And then I don't like the exagerate bottom end they have... good for djs but in studio not so imho.

I'm going to shop some AKG open as now I can't afford the beyerdynamics.

Obineg

Post by Obineg » Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:09 am

Yep hd25's hurt , I just got AKG's k240 studio's the other day, they're alot more comfy . . .

musick

Post by musick » Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:08 pm

minimal wrote:I have the same headpones and because I wear glasses I can't wear the sennheiser for more that 30 minutes and I feel pain at the ears.
And then I don't like the exagerate bottom end they have... good for djs but in studio not so imho.
I would use it for (vinyl) DJing, so the extra bootum end is great :)
Also I would not wear it for a long period of time, so maybe the HD25 is good for me...

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:56 pm

Did you try to adjust/spread the upper part. The design comes from cockpit model, meant for long use. I can wear them ( my head is huge like a bucket) for hours without problems- even without using??? Yes, when I want to sleep on the plane, they isolate well which is great no only on stage. For studio they are tracking cans, not for mixing, though I use them to check the basses (the excess). HD 650 are more comfortable to wear but they are studio, no live cans.
Forget about them getting loosy, it is true teutonic quality, made to last forever, mines are 10 or 12 years old, still even look like new.

musick

Post by musick » Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:57 pm

rikhyray wrote:Did you try to adjust/spread the upper part. The design comes from cockpit model, meant for long use. I can wear them ( my head is huge like a bucket) for hours without problems- even without using??? Yes, when I want to sleep on the plane, they isolate well which is great no only on stage. For studio they are tracking cans, not for mixing, though I use them to check the basses (the excess). HD 650 are more comfortable to wear but they are studio, no live cans.
Forget about them getting loosy, it is true teutonic quality, made to last forever, mines are 10 or 12 years old, still even look like new.
Ok, looks like these are also good for me. I want a durable headphone, not the ceap plastic stuff Sony uses.

stallos

Post by stallos » Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:12 pm

all I can say is thank yourself lucky you sprang the extra for HD-25s I've got the 25-SPs and you dont know tight until you've felt these.

Its like wearing a g-clamp on your head.
On top of which the split cable tries to strangle you at every opportunity.
:wink:

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:46 pm

all I can say is thank yourself lucky you sprang the extra for HD-25s I've got the 25-SPs and you dont know tight until you've felt these.
Man... I dunno if I can take the clamp. The HD25s are like a torture device, but it's the kind of torture that feels kinda good.

I gave them the listen test last night. I have to say I liked what I heard.

The thing about the 25s is this; you know when you have your cans on and the sound isn't quite present enough so you reach your hands up and press the earpieces up against your ears- then it sounds louder and closer and you're like "yeah!". Well, the HD25 do that. Constantly.

I'm really torn. This is the worst pro audio gear delima I've had since I decided to get the Roland VS880EX over the 8 track reel to reel back in old 1998! And man, I sorta regretted that. I think.

This is just bad karma. I swore I would not buy any more gear until I put out my CD. I was doing really well, but yesterday I just broke down. I couldn't take it anymore!

Former Pharaoh

Post by Former Pharaoh » Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:52 pm

I heard from a couple DJs who travel all the time and do extensive studio work that hese are the way to go for comfort and sound. Especially when doing in-flight jamming.
http://www.bose.com/controller?event=DT ... src=k15318