BTW why US Enlgish, not just English??

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
amo

Post by amo » Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:41 am

cool, a US/UK war, that's great for a change ! :D
Forge, I suggest you use "french" for Live install, since it doesn't say "canadian french", plus french seems to be like a second nature to you, and more than that, I feel like you all should be able to speak french in order to get a culture... :twisted:

ohoh... well....
Live 5.0.3 - IBM Thinkpad R51 1.5ghz Centrino - 1,5 Go RAM - 7200 RPM 2nd HDD intern - RME Multiface - Windows XP Pro SP2

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:45 am

dirtystudios wrote:I live in the US, and I've never heard the term "US English".

k
Well, I don't reckon a lot of americans use that term :wink:
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

Nightrider

Post by Nightrider » Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:48 am

the new mac's have 'AUSTRALIAN ENGLISH'

it highlights terms such as 'mate' and 'g'day' within my "Australian English Manual"

there's even a crack to get a bouncey kangaroo effect. :lol:

SPY

Post by SPY » Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:03 am

Pitch Black wrote:I first noticed a couple of years ago that many drop-down lists of countries start with USA and then go on to Afghanistan... so like the invasions will proceed alphabetically? Dang! 8O
:lol: :lol:

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:24 am

Nightrider wrote:the new mac's have 'AUSTRALIAN ENGLISH'

it highlights terms such as 'mate' and 'g'day' within my "Australian English Manual"

Australia have their own spelling as well which is different to Commonwealth English. AFAIK.

I'm sure the American Rebels have their own little dictionaries by now, but I fail to see why they should bother the rest of the world with their puerile behaviour.

mike holiday

Post by mike holiday » Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:39 am

'cause i wreccin' Hillbilly aint gonna make the same kindda impression on all a those folks over dare on tha otherside of that dag gone puddle...

hmm

don't you know we stole everthing that we call ours over here?

forge

Post by forge » Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:44 am

Nightrider wrote:the new mac's have 'AUSTRALIAN ENGLISH'

that's the biggest joke of all. Australian English????

farks ache

so we badly misuse the plural of you and stick an "se" on the end, which they also do in London, Essex/home counties, G'day is an abreviation of Good day and mate every bit as cockney. Do we need a "cockney english" for Eastenders to understand???

It's an attempt by these not very old colonies to form an identity, but English is English, these very subtle differences dont even warrent dialects let alone languages of their own..

we dont even have "scottish english" and "irish english" which are actually quite different dialects.

According to my Aunt from Glasgow, the way one would say "throw it out" in Glaswegian is "thraw it tae fuck"

mosca

Post by mosca » Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:56 am

oh man i aks you - whats da world comin' to?

oh and its ALUMINIUM not f*cking aluminum

MrYellow

Post by MrYellow » Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:56 am

Don't forget all the z instead of s.

-Ben

spiderprod

Post by spiderprod » Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:39 pm

forge wrote::lol: :lol:

Aint you never heard of Enlgish??

get a life man, all the kids are speaking it.
my kids definitely speak some kind of sub language .
i rarely understand them , lol ....

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:52 pm

forge wrote:It's an attempt by these not very old colonies to form an identity, but English is English, these very subtle differences dont even warrent dialects let alone languages of their own..
A language is a dialect with an army and a flag...

African-American Vernacular English is recognised as a separate language by most lingusts and so on and so forth.

And I think it is, err, fair dinkum for the colonies to form(alise) indentities of their own; would you not agree that being Australian is not the same as being English? It's a natural process, IMHO - I don't really blame the Norwegians for remodelling their language and reclaiming Henrik Ibsen et al after they gained their independence either. These nation, state, and ethnicity constructs are largely illusional, after all, but the people seem to cling to them like wreckage - leading amongst other things to the ongoing "interesting debate" about integration vs. assimilation of immigrants.

forge

Post by forge » Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:41 pm

noisetonepause wrote:
forge wrote:It's an attempt by these not very old colonies to form an identity, but English is English, these very subtle differences dont even warrent dialects let alone languages of their own..

African-American Vernacular English is recognised as a separate language by most lingusts and so on and so forth.

And I think it is, err, fair dinkum for the colonies to form(alise) indentities of their own; would you not agree that being Australian is not the same as being English? It's a natural process, IMHO - I don't really blame the Norwegians for remodelling their language and reclaiming Henrik Ibsen et al after they gained their independence either. These nation, state, and ethnicity constructs are largely illusional, after all, but the people seem to cling to them like wreckage - leading amongst other things to the ongoing "interesting debate" about integration vs. assimilation of immigrants.
that may be so, but the differences between British English and Australian English is like the difference between red and red. Try all you like to find a slightly redder shade of red but all you will find is red.

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:09 pm

forge wrote:
noisetonepause wrote:

that may be so, but the differences between British English and Australian English is like the difference between red and red. Try all you like to find a slightly redder shade of red but all you will find is red.
Don't refute my pseudointellectualisms with facts, you bastard!

forge

Post by forge » Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:26 pm

noisetonepause wrote:
forge wrote:
noisetonepause wrote: A language is a dialect with an army and a flag...

#

pseudointellectualisms are for refuting!

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:30 pm

forge wrote:
noisetonepause wrote:
forge wrote: that may be so, but the differences between British English and Australian English is like the difference between red and red. Try all you like to find a slightly redder shade of red but all you will find is red.
#

pseudointellectualisms are for refuting!
Yes, but they're all I know!