MacIntel Powerbooks in Jan

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
LiveLong

Post by LiveLong » Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:42 am

Yeah, Get ready to close your Windows.

I always thought that Intel deserves a real, simple, and stable OS.

:twisted:

psi

Post by psi » Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:28 pm

here's a couple of good rumours....the first macintel will be an ultraportable with an 11 inch screen ...2nd rumour - Native Instruments are working on a new DAW - may keep Ableton on their toes.. :-)
apple imac 3.06 ghz
macbook pro 17"

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:56 pm

LiveLong wrote:I always thought that Intel deserves a real, simple, and stable OS.
Ubuntu Linux is just that for most of the computer users I know - ie. those that only browse the web, send email, use IM of any flavour (GAIM kicks the proprietary clients' collective arses anyways), play MP3s, and need light office-type apps. It does all of those out of the box, really, and it's installed without a hitch on the three systems I've used it on (only one was Intel, though, but plenty of people are using it). Plus it's free as in beer and free as in speech. It's teh future, mate.
Last edited by noisetonepause on Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:57 pm

psi wrote:2nd rumour - Native Instruments are working on a new DAW - may keep Ableton on their toes.. :-)
LOL

I'll believe that when I see it - maybe..!

Michael-SW

Post by Michael-SW » Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:27 pm

forge wrote: ...I dont see any of the PC laptop makers constantly pissing about with these stupid games, they just release new laptops when they do...
That is because there is competition in the PC market. You know, many manufacturers selling essentially the same product.

Apple on the other hand....

LiveLong

Post by LiveLong » Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:35 am

noisetonepause wrote:
LiveLong wrote:I always thought that Intel deserves a real, simple, and stable OS.
Ubuntu Linux is just that for most of the computer users I know - ie. those that only browse the web, send email, use IM of any flavour (GAIM kicks the proprietary clients' collective arses anyways), play MP3s, and need light office-type apps. It does all of those out of the box, really, and it's installed without a hitch on the three systems I've used it on (only one was Intel, though, but plenty of people are using it). Plus it's free as in beer and free as in speech. It's teh future, mate.
Can I install Linux on my PC and run Live? 8O

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:39 am

LiveLong wrote:Can I install Linux on my PC and run Live? 8O
noisetonepause wrote:Ubuntu Linux is just that for most of the computer users I know - ie. those that only browse the web, send email, use IM of any flavour (GAIM kicks the proprietary clients' collective arses anyways), play MP3s, and need light office-type apps. It does all of those out of the box, really, and it's installed without a hitch on the three systems I've used it on (only one was Intel, though, but plenty of people are using it). Plus it's free as in beer and free as in speech. It's teh future, mate.
(no)

Paranoid

Post by Paranoid » Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:10 am

I have a friend who works for Apple and from what I have heard it could be a Wintel G5 mac mini and or a new wintel laptop that is unveiled..I do know its supposed to be a big deal. ;) A wintel G5 mac mini for under say 700 would be pretty sweet! Supposedly the laptops should start around 800..but who knows..

We shall see soon enough.

pax

Post by pax » Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:20 am

psi wrote:2nd rumour - Native Instruments are working on a new DAW - may keep Ableton on their toes.. :-)
Problem is they haven't found a processor powerful enough to run it yet.

dirtystudios

Post by dirtystudios » Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:32 am

DJSK wrote:It would make sense to release a powerbook first. If they were to release an ibook that was intel powered and more powerful and faster than the current powerbooks I would think the sales for powerbooks would come to a dead hault.
Actually, releasing iBooks and iMacs first would make more sense. These users are less dependant upon third-party applications than the PowerBook and Power Mac users/ The third-party apps that the "i" users are dependant upon are also less performance oriented than the Power users, which means that running them through Rosetta won't be as big a hit.

Since it will take some time before the x86 Mac platform is well ported, I would advise not purchasing an Intel Mac until we've had some time to gett everything ported over.

I myself ordered a PowerBook on Friday. My logic being that by the time I need a new machine, the platform will be well supported. It's the same logic I used with the migration to OSX, and it worked well. I switched over when 10.2 came out, and by that time, there were plenty of plug-ins and applications, with all the wrinkles of the new platform ironed out.

k

forge

Post by forge » Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:36 am

I really hope thats not true - what would be the point?? there are enough - Live 5 is enough, they should keep doing what they're good at and make more good FX and instruments, and maybe pour some resources into creating some kind of customer service department, and fix a few bugs!

mike holiday

Post by mike holiday » Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:39 am

so are they going to open us up to virus's and spyware?

forge

Post by forge » Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:46 am

dirtystudios wrote: I myself ordered a PowerBook on Friday. My logic being that by the time I need a new machine, the platform will be well supported. It's the same logic I used with the migration to OSX, and it worked well. I switched over when 10.2 came out, and by that time, there were plenty of plug-ins and applications, with all the wrinkles of the new platform ironed out.

k
well that may be true, but dont you think the powerbooks will be alot cheaper once they're released?

drush

Post by drush » Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:33 am

no. i bet they'll be as much as $200ish cheaper, maybe. and i still don't think there'll be macintel powerbooks in january. hopefully i'm wrong.

Paranoid

Post by Paranoid » Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:56 am

No you won't see new iMacs all too soon. They will do the portables first. ibook and mac mini is my guess. The new mac mini is supposed to be a replacement for Tivo.