What is you're live setup?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
pix

Post by pix » Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:35 am

Pitch Black wrote:
Cheers Pix! Just whats listed there really, Live 4 on the latest album (5 wasn't out then), Logic 6's software instruments, a little bit of Ensoniq TS-12 workstation (mostly for piano skanks/rhodes and stuff), and an Akai S3200XL sampler which I can't live without for it's filters and FX board.
Sounds great!

So why do you decided to take all the pieces separately to a live set? I belive that it's way more flexible but do you end up making that much improvisation in the end? I mean, do you really improvise and whether tweak the hats delay, or teh rhodes filter, or do you take your tricks rehearsed from home?

I'm asking this because I'm setting up a live set soon, and I want to get as much insight as possible about what can be doable and what can get in a way in a situatiion like this. I'm a total newbie in what concerns performing so I'm trying to consider all angles here.

Thanks for sharing!

donnydonny

Post by donnydonny » Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:49 am

the vast majority of shows i play at supply a djm600, so i just bring my laptop, fw410, and 1/4" -> rca snake cable and rock all 4 channels on the mixer.
Macbook Pro 2.16GHz, 3GB, OS X 10.6.2, Live 7.0.18 (Triceratopz), Torq 1.5.2, M-Audio Xponent, Access Virus TI Polar, Trigger Finger

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:50 pm

pix wrote: So why do you decided to take all the pieces separately to a live set? I belive that it's way more flexible but do you end up making that much improvisation in the end? I mean, do you really improvise and whether tweak the hats delay, or teh rhodes filter, or do you take your tricks rehearsed from home?

I'm asking this because I'm setting up a live set soon, and I want to get as much insight as possible about what can be doable and what can get in a way in a situatiion like this. I'm a total newbie in what concerns performing so I'm trying to consider all angles here.
Yes we really, really improvise - with the way our setup works, I can select any of roughly between10-20 scenes per song on the fly, play keys and trigger clips over the top, and when it gets sent to Mike's mixer, he also has control over the structure by using the mutes on the desk. If something is really happening we can stay there and build up the intensity with the dub, or if its not happening we can get the feck outta there.

Since you mentioned tweaking delays on hihats, this is one of the very things we DO do - the delay units are timed to the song (usually 3 16ths) and when you put this delay on anything rhythmic it double-times it and builds up intensity in a very spontaneous and hands-on way.

The big secret about dub mixing is you bring all your FX returns back into CHANNELS instead of just "returns". This is so you can use the channel send knobs to send FX back on themselves and back to other FX. So a hat might send to a delay, the delay return sends to a reverb which sends back to another delay etc. You get these low levels of FX circulating thru your mix adding texture and complexity. The best thing is you HAVE to keep things moving - opening and closing FX sends, sweeping parametric EQ on the delay channels - so that they don't just degenerate into howling feedback. Thats the fun, playing the desk like an instrument and pushing things to the limit as part of the song arrangement. Our audience can really sense that this is happening in real time so they react more and we react to them and so on and so its all just a big beautiful energy exchange thang, baby. :D

Live's Return channels have sends on them so you can build complex "FX matrixes" - we just choose to do it in the hardware world.

Before Live came along, dub mixing on an analog mixing desk was one of the main ways we had to be spontaneous with technology. But now Live allows SO MUCH spontenaity whether you choose to have a very complex setup or a very simple one - its up to you. Performing can be whatever you want it to be - the main thing is build a setup that allows YOU to feel truly excited by what you are doing, and the audience will feel it too. Good luck with your endeavours!

cheers
paddy
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:53 pm

paddy, that was one of the best descriptions of dub mixing I've ever seen.
BOH! I love mixing like that, although I do it within Live.

:)
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

forge

Post by forge » Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:22 pm

Paddy!!

thanks loads for that, really interesting!

BTW I cant find any video on your site..

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:41 pm

Err... On the downloads page, 2nd one down: Pitch Black live video.

Guess the icon should be bigger, huh?

pix

Post by pix » Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:24 pm

yeah, great insight!

I think it's to discuss strategies as well. There's so many ways you can use your equipment.

I'm thinking in going with a 2x4 track system where I have 2 4 track "songs" running side by side assigned to 2 different mixer channels. This way, I have control over the inside mix (with a midi controller) and I can mix the 2 "songs" in an hardware mixer using all the tricks you have in one. Adding an external fx loop and a groovebox should be enough to have the performance running.

What do you think of this? I know that working your way is much better for for a 1 man show, I think it's better to have a minimal approach to it or things may go really wrong...I think...

In terms of controller I'm thinking in getting a used novation remote and assigning the faders and respective buttons to volume and mute in a 2x4 fashion. The same with the knobs. Also have a 4 + 4 thing to trigger the clips, specially I have to find a way to trigger groups of 4 clips at the same time, so I can use 4 of one row and start preparing the other set of 4 on the next scene....

Then I'm planning to organize the tracks as basic kick/snare + percussion track + bassline + fx/other so I can keep track of it. I mean this is in theory, I still don't know how strict this will be. there's also the color scheme strategy but this way you depend on the screen a lot more...I wanted to be focused on live tweaking etc and less concerned with the mouse&screen.

Then I have the advantage to have full audio control over each track set on a regular mixer using kills fadind etc, and the best of all, easy cueing over the next "song" or whatever...

just some ideas...what do you guys think of it, and how are you setting up your sessions?

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:02 pm

Pix, your strategy sounds good! I like the idea of keeping/adding the hardware elements - something you don't feel scared to sweat on/abuse is always good!!

I cant rate the ReMote highly enough...
I mostly use the Remote's programmable buttons as scene selectors, but sometimes the keys too.

The main thing is to take the strategy you have now, build it in Live, learning shedloads along the way as you pursue what you THINK you want to do, find out the difficulties/probs (the forum is always here to help) plus the awesome inspiring things you are able to do with your rig, find what works/doesn't, modify the setup/modify the strategy etc, repeat indefinately........ You are now one with Borg... um...Live :)

beatnick

Post by beatnick » Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:41 pm

loadspeed wrote:hey i saw you guys at the gathering in takaka years ago

sweet you are using ableton. respect.
Big up the NZ crew. :D