Latency issues with Rewire

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
Synthbuilder

Post by Synthbuilder » Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:03 am

Alex wrote: Yes, that is right. This is a limitation of the current behavior of PDC we hope to improve in a future release of Live.
Thanks Alex for letting us know.

One thing that may be easier to implement is that you allow the track delay setting to work without PDC switched on. That is, allowing the user to delay and pre-delay each track manually. This would not be anything as clever as PDC, but would still allow for changes in musical feel. Its the sort of thing that Cubase on the Atari used to have and it was very useful. Both in terms of correcting odd latency problems and also for creating a less rigid musical grid.

diverdee

Post by diverdee » Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:26 am

I second that, useful feature in cubase vst that was - allowed one to nicely tighten things up.

Meef Chaloin

Post by Meef Chaloin » Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:14 pm

This is odd, ive never noticed any problems. I'll have to do some testing.

...this could be another reason why i feel like im getting worse at making music, what with the midi timing being all weird & now this, maybe its just Live!

jprost

no no no no no

Post by jprost » Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:34 am

i certainly hope that this issue isnt directly responsible for the issues i'm having.

i have been using live since version 3, and have used it with reason and rewire for just as long (moved to live from acid specifically for its rock solid rewire performance). i have been working with 5.x since it first came out months ago and have had no issues with it, reason, or the vst plugs that i drop on audio tracks or reason tracks. recently, however, several of my arrangements have started to exhibit horrible track latency issues, and eratically as well. I can be working on an arrangement for 12 hours and go to work on it again the next day and it is now horribly out of sync.

most of my arrangements have the following characteristics:
track makeup
40-60 audio tracks
12 bus tracks (audio tracks set to monitor thus acting as a bus)
4-6 reason tracks
2-4 midi tracks

plugin makeup
50/50 mix of ableton and 3rd party plugs
1/3rd of all tracks have some plug on them
all plugs are automated to off when no audio is present

audio interface configuration
utilize all 24 outs of the motu 24io
buffer maxed at 2048

if the problem has to do with plugin latency compensation ... i hereby add my voice to those pushing for a quick and effective fix. i have professional projects being delayed because of my situation.

thanx...
jason...
p4ht 2.8ghz 1.5mb windowsXPpro
live 5.02 / reason 3.0 / motu 24io

jprost

ohh wait...

Post by jprost » Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:49 am

ok...

so i went and played all night...and turned out that some of the arrangements were without delay compensation and others with. as soon as i added compensation to all my tracks i ended up rock solid on between Live and Reason.

now my issue is that all my "updating" has resulted in sputtering during heavily loaded sections of each arrangement. :cry:

again, for the record, my system is actually locking up very effectively between Live and Reason through my Motu 24io.

jason...
p4ht 2.8ghz 1.5mb windowsXPpro
live 5.02 / reason 3.0 / motu 24io