5.02: RAM usage on startup ... ??

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
supster

5.02: RAM usage on startup ... ??

Post by supster » Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:45 pm

ive started to watch resource usage with Live more lately after really getting fed up with the poor performance in arrange view (see "Severe LAG in arrange view POLL thread in this forum) ...

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... rrange+lag

... and getting random, bad, laggy, sticky horrible creativity killing, frustation inducing performance when working with large projects .. worse than vs 4.

just now i started Live 5.02 up to my default template.

- 5 MIDI channels ... no devices active

- 4 audio channels ... no devices active

- 4 sends .. no devices active

- master .. no devices active.

windows Taskman reports ~ 350+ MB out of a Gig of RAM usued ... with nothing active 8O

is this why ive accepted that Live can take between 1 and 2 minutes to start up with no devices or activity in a default template

... then another 4 - 5 minutes to load any project with any real work done in it (read: track with more than a few minimal elements) ...

... then another 3 -4 minutes to shut down ... (i get a white interface and it just hangs on to my resources during that time till it feels like letting go)

anybody have any theories on this? XP SP2, m-audio drivers, gig of ram

oh: just for contrast, another hi-tech, resource intense program i run here and there on this machine is Age of Empires III: brand new state of the art big game, needs lots of power to run, uses all the crap in my machine to the fullest:

loads up lighting fast, plays fast, decent framerate, interface not dogged and sticky, and lets go of my system resources gracefully and quickly when i decided to stop playing

Live is the only thing on my machine that runs like a pig. what the hell is going on ..
Last edited by supster on Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com

Nod

Re: 5.02: RAM usage on startup ... ??

Post by Nod » Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:24 am

Hi Supster...

Afraid I ain't got no solutions but I posted this thread a while back:

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... highlight=

supster

Post by supster » Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:45 am

Nod wrote:Hi Supster...

Afraid I ain't got no solutions but I posted this thread a while back:

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... highlight=

thanks

btw i forgot to mention that saving a project also locks up my machine and takes up to 3 - 4 minutes at a time.

this is all related to the slowness in copy/paste/duplicate and arrange view and most of the other resource problems and slowness / dog terrible performance i believe:

Live is now terrible at using resources, its poorly written and ill-behaved.

we need to keep bitching, because for every one of us that does and can prove its "not just our problem" we represent all the hundreds or thousands of people that dont come on this forum,. stay quite and vote "yes or no" with thier wallets.

a lot of people are saying no, theyve talked to me and this is what they think of Live vs Logic / Cubase / PT:

great concept. lousy coding and not robust enough to handle the main studio work. (not trying to hurt anyones pride here man, this is the truth)
Last edited by supster on Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

Nod

Post by Nod » Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:02 am

supster wrote: thanks btw i forgot to mention that saving a project also locks up my machine and takes up to 3 - 4 minutes at a time.
8O that's hardcore - haven't had anything that bad. Does it do this even with a bare empty set? Tried a re-install?
supster wrote:this is all related to the slowness in copy/paste/duplicate and arrange view and most of the other resource problems and slowness / dog terrible performance i believe: Live is now terrible at using resources, its poorly written and ill-behaved.
Poorly written? Dunno about that man - but I've got 4.14/5.02 on my machine and the differences in terms of application performance are serious. Makes me wonder, given that 4.14 is really kick arse on my machine, if 5 is a total rewrite or is it just 'bolted on' code? Prolly way above my head anyway but also makes me wonder what on earth the beta testers were, er, testing :D
supster wrote:we need to keep bitching, because for every one of us that does and can prove its "not just our problem" we represent all the hundreds or thousands of people that dont come on this forum,. stay quite and vote "yes or no" with thier wallets. a lot of people are saying no, ive talked to them .

Was showing Live 5 to a die hard PT guy last week - he was blown away and, though I was doing my best to 'sell' him on it just because I think the app concept is brilliant, I had to be honest and say there were things that currently would be a hinderance in a professional situation. When the Abe's do get this sorted, and I'm sure they will, they'll have a killer app once again - let's just hope that they don't release v6 in such a hurry - or to merely fix what should've been working in 5.

supster

Post by supster » Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:27 am

8O that's hardcore - haven't had anything that bad. Does it do this even with a bare empty set? Tried a re-install?
the long wait times on save and startup / shutdown are of course longer with larger projects. routine startup time on an empty template (like the one i described above) is about 1 -2 minutes.

its that way in 4 but its worse in vs 5.
Poorly written? Dunno about that man - but I've got 4.14/5.02 on my machine and the differences in terms of application performance are serious.
yes .. huge difference ... but this is only the main problem in a program that is full of broken features, not well thought out ones, gaps in basic functionality and just random quirks and buggy behavior that mystefies me.

its really noticable for me now because im trying to finish up things and really digging into the features and using it more in depth that ever

imo its a mess
let's just hope that they don't release v6 in such a hurry - or to merely fix what should've been working in 5.
yes ive said it before many times on here and will keep saying it (as i sit in my studio and get pissed off because things are taking up to 3x longer than they should because of all this)

the release schedule was too fast. they need to address it on a very basic level and take whatever time and money they can to make this thing work right.
--

supster

Post by supster » Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:14 pm

*bump*
--

martian

you defo not alone...

Post by martian » Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:49 pm

I'm getting some skips in my dual 2 gig g5 too.

got 1.5 gig of ram as well

Looling at the activity marker it seems live is going to 100% and above of the CPU...

it's using up to 190 meg of memory too!

tho it's allocating 482 megs to virtual memory!-
tho there is infact 701 meg of spare (inactive memory ) on the system....

gonna reboot

is it fianlly time for me to go up to Tiger 10.4.wotever ( on 10.3.2 now- been happy here for 2 years....)

live long and prosper!

supster

Post by supster » Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:59 pm

it would be very helpful if ableton would post some insight into what configurations / setups are known to cause problems and possible solutions that are not standard ...

standard meaning - add more ram - get the latest ASIO drivers - drop un-needed services in XP - avoid using buggy/cracked VSTs - keep your VSTs up to date and work with the vendors to see if there is a known issue - check for bad RAM .. etc etc

the mac side i cant say, but for PC you guys (ableton) must know of some things that are causing the massive memory usage for some people but not others ... some setting or something not checked out?

unless it really is most people but theyre not speaking up and not reporting if they have checked ... and or you know theres a problem but its definitely Live and nothing to do but wait for a fix

i think if you would let us know whatever youve found out, it would be a huge help ..
--