Totally frustrated. Live 5 doesn't record program changes.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
tomperson

Totally frustrated. Live 5 doesn't record program changes.

Post by tomperson » Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:33 pm

Two days ago I did a really interesting improvised set (out of scratch) of about 1 hour., and recorded it. I changed patches in my VSTi instruments several times during the performance...When I heard the set the next day...bam! it was ruined...no program change had been recorded. I thought it would.

I guess it's a limitation of live, I haven't investigated.

I felt miserable. My experimental set was ruined. :cry:
Turn up the radio. Turn up the tape machine. Look into the sunset up ahead. Roll the windows down for a better taste of the cool desert wind. Ah yes. This is what it's all about. Total control now.

Nod

Re: Totally frustrated. Live 5 doesn't record program change

Post by Nod » Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:41 pm

tomperson wrote:Two days ago I did a really interesting improvised set (out of scratch) of about 1 hour., and recorded it. I changed patches in my VSTi instruments several times during the performance...When I heard the set the next day...bam! it was ruined...no program change had been recorded. I thought it would.

I guess it's a limitation of live, I haven't investigated.

I felt miserable. My experimental set was ruined. :cry:
Dude - buy a Studer half inch and tape it the old fashioned way :D

Seriously tho' there are some very odd issues as regards PC and, more importantly to me, MIDI CC passthrough in v5 that are really bugging me - so I feel your pain :? It's kinda hard to get experimental on the fly when you need to assign CC's via the Live interface rather than the one's already built into the plug/instrument. We also need CC's in session view....hold on this is turning into my post from the Feature Request section again...

tomperson

Post by tomperson » Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:57 pm

Thanks man.

Deep inside me, I guess I kinda knew this was going to happen, but didn't want to start investigating at that moment, I wanted to PLAY!!!

There's a VST recorder plugin, could someone remind me of its name?
Turn up the radio. Turn up the tape machine. Look into the sunset up ahead. Roll the windows down for a better taste of the cool desert wind. Ah yes. This is what it's all about. Total control now.

amo

Post by amo » Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:00 pm

tomperson wrote:Thanks man.

Deep inside me, I guess I kinda knew this was going to happen, but didn't want to start investigating at that moment, I wanted to PLAY!!!

There's a VST recorder plugin, could someone remind me of its name?
Total recorder ?
Live 5.0.3 - IBM Thinkpad R51 1.5ghz Centrino - 1,5 Go RAM - 7200 RPM 2nd HDD intern - RME Multiface - Windows XP Pro SP2

Nod

Post by Nod » Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:05 pm

tomperson wrote:Thanks man. Deep inside me, I guess I kinda knew this was going to happen, but didn't want to start investigating at that moment, I wanted to PLAY!!!
Yeah...like, er, LIVE in Live :D
tomperson wrote:There's a VST recorder plugin, could someone remind me of its name?

There a few - but this one's free and not too bad.

http://www.silverspike.com/?Products:TapeIt

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:32 pm

it seems rediculous really doesn't it.

A sequencer that doesnt record program changes or assigned midi conrtollers.

it baffles me why they haven't fixed this - it's beyond a bug, it's perverse.

tomperson

Post by tomperson » Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:11 pm

Yeah, TapeIT, there's another one here:

http://www.voxengo.com/product/recorder/

Thanks for sharing my pain, I thought this should be quite an obvious functionality for a live instrument, shouldn't it?

Bump. :cry:

Clearscreen

Post by Clearscreen » Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:13 pm

why do you need a vst recorder? isn't it easier to resample the master output into a live clip in arrangement?

you could use something like audacity (on pc anyway) to record the master output completely independently (if you're using directx drivers). the advantage in this is if live craps out and crashes it doesn't take the recording from the vst plugin or resample down with it.
Hp Elitebook 2.8Ghz. Live 7.0.14 & Live 8.1.5, XP Pro. and stuff...

tomperson

Post by tomperson » Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:46 am

Yeah, you're right!!! Don't know why I didn't think of resampling...I know lots of people here use a separate VST for that, dunno why...

Chris J

Post by Chris J » Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:27 pm

WHAT ?
Live is not recording Prog Changes ?
So far I've never used them in Live, but there's always a day when you need them,
FUCK ! why is that ??? they're in the MIDI protocole since day 1, all midi apps record prog changes, my 20 year old atari records prog changes, even my commodore C64 recorded prog changes !
Quad 6600 Intel, AsusP5Q, 2Gb ram, XP sp3, Evolution MK361c & UC33e, Line6 UX8

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:30 pm

tomperson wrote:Yeah, you're right!!! Don't know why I didn't think of resampling...I know lots of people here use a separate VST for that, dunno why...
Because if you hit stop, tweak something, and then press play again, you'd have to start another recording. TapeIt is good that way, since you just leave it running in the background.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

tomperson

Post by tomperson » Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:34 pm

Chris J wrote:WHAT ?
Live is not recording Prog Changes ?
So far I've never used them in Live, but there's always a day when you need them,
FUCK ! why is that ??? they're in the MIDI protocole since day 1, all midi apps record prog changes, my 20 year old atari records prog changes, even my commodore C64 recorded prog changes !
Drop your favourite VSTi, start recording in arrangement, change the presets while you play. Now, hit play. NOt a single program change recorded.

AWFUL.

:cry:

Nod

Post by Nod » Fri Nov 25, 2005 4:59 pm

tomperson wrote: Drop your favourite VSTi, start recording in arrangement, change the presets while you play. Now, hit play. NOt a single program change recorded.

AWFUL.

:cry:
Yeah it's grim - I hate to bitch but in fact the whole MIDI thing really needs looking at. Everything from, especially, timing to PC & CC. The main beef I've got is still CC's. They were at least automatically passed thru to the instrument in v4 - in v5 it seems you have to assign all non standard CC's thru the interface.

To explain: let's say you have a bog standard softsynth that accepts standard controllers for cutoff, resonance, ADSR etc. In v4 you could load that synth and you'd immediately have control of those parameters assuming you'd set up your controller to send them out - no assignments through the interface were required. Now in v5 the only CC's I can get to 'pass through' directly are Volume and Modulation. Maybe it's just me I dunno - but I've been doing using MIDI for 15 years so I do have some vague ideas as to what I'm supposed to be doing.

Various good suggestions have been made as regards this - including somehow making use of the new LiveClip format to store a synth/FXt with the mappings intact. That way we'd only have to set it up the once rather than every time. Imagine being able to drop an instrument/effect into a track live and be able to instantly control the parameters you want - sounds a bit like that sequencing instrument paradigm doesn't it?

I've every faith that the Abe's will sort it, and when they do it will rock, but time is moving on here - almost 2 months since an update now and things that worked, for me at least, in the previous version still aren't fixed. Hopefully there will be something under the Christmas tree! 8)