Ultimate Live Controller? W00T!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
andrewlogan

Post by andrewlogan » Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:07 am

Johnisfaster wrote:what I can't figure out is if you can assign like apple c or apple v to single keys on there? it would be nice to have all of your ctrl/apple functions on single keys.
Yeah it would, theres a third party utility that'll do that (on a pc), Kid Beyond mentions it in his video somewhere on this website (don't have the link on me right now) It sucks that this shows no way of running on a mac.

dbolt

Focus on What You Have!

Post by dbolt » Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:21 am

It would be real cool if the keys would light up and match with Live's colored clips. I can see Propellerheads "REMOTE" Technology someway developed into the programming involved in the Moving Keyboard controller whatever its called. But I really need to focus on what I've got and quit worrying about buying new gear and hone my skills in what I've got. Even thought theirs alot of gear out there I would love to have.. Im sure some would agree on that or your just filthy rich with alot of $$$. I must move on!!

LAter

gpvillamil

Post by gpvillamil » Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:09 am

I have one of these, for controlling VJ software. It is actually pretty neat, the build quality is very good, as is the macro software.

The keys are stuck onto a transparent overlay, so you can print labels onto a paper sheet and slide it underneath.

Here is a picture: http://www.villamil.org/images/rigpix1.jpg

and a closeup of my control layout: http://www.villamil.org/images/rigpix2.jpg

From left to right, then top to bottom

Effect slot selector + clear
Effect launchers (1-8, red)
Layer slot selector + clear
In/Out controls for active clip
Playback mode controls (green)
Compositing mode controls (black)
Clip bank selectors (1-8)

The keypad on the right is for triggering clips, from here: http://www.xkeys.com/xkeys.php

Some of their products might be handy for Ableton, for example this

And they work on OS X

computo

Post by computo » Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:28 am

Its a USB device, so you could likely use the Max "hi" object to parse the data and do anything your precious little ass wanted with that thing in OSX.

That not directed at anyone, I mean anyones precious little ass.

andrewlogan

Post by andrewlogan » Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:32 pm

agh! Don't bring Max/MSP into this. Maybe someone could make an OSX PrefPane though...

henry ford

Post by henry ford » Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:29 pm

maxmsp should be brought into this , this is right up max's alley. why not spend the money on , or put towards , a max/msp license. and a cheap-ass keyboard that you modify (remove keys you dont need , and highlight the keys you will use) yourself.........and hey presto you're in macro heaven. i'll bet you come up with cooler stuff this way,......or maybe even plogue bidule

that said , it is an interesting controller

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:48 pm

I don't get it... don't bring max/msp into this?

why not?
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.