MP3PRO Does Ableton Live 5 have an MP3PRO Codec?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
backwoods

MP3PRO Does Ableton Live 5 have an MP3PRO Codec?

Post by backwoods » Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:50 pm

Hi there,

I have some MP3PRO encoded MP3s and was wondering whether Ableton properly decodes them with an MP3pro codec.

And yes I know, stay away from MP3 where possible. I just have a few sounds to port in and want to make sure I'm gettin' the best quality I can out of them.

Thanks all

The sun is shining out here in the coast mountains of BC and it's time to go outside and play! Then back inside to play with good vibrations. Hope all you Abletonians are doing well and having fun.

The Revrend

Post by The Revrend » Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:52 am

You only need an MP3Pro Codec to encode MP3 Pro files, mp3pro can be decoded by any mp3 playing software, ableton live included.

Rev
AMD Athlon 64 x2 4400 Toledo Core // 2 GB of Corsair XMS // WD Raptor "X" 1500 // Creative X-Fi Professional // EVGA GeForce 7900GT 256MB // G5 Laser Mouse // Viewsonic VX922 LCD Monitor // Coolermaster Ammo 533 Case

backwoods

Post by backwoods » Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:02 pm

True you don't need it, but you won't get the extra quality without it.
Take for example "Frostbyte groove lounge" on overexposure.fm. If you don't have a MP3Pro Decoder CODEC it sounds like crap. MP3 Pro codes the high frequencies with a different method called Spectral Band Replication which is more efficient and saves file size.

Anyway, it's no big deal. I just decode seperately with Audition or dBPoweramp to WAV first. My ears tell me that Ableton does not have an MP3PRO CODEC, but I just wated to see if I could confirm it.

Thanks