POLL: Are you having servere LAGTIME using arrange view?

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support

Are you having severe lag time in arrange view?

YES! it makes using the arrange sequencer nearly impossible
71%
NO routine copy/paste/dup operations are nice and smooth .. no problem
29%

Total votes: 127

supster

Post by supster » Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:34 pm

Emissary wrote:I belive this has to do with the flawless audio engine.

So the audio stream doesnt cut out , things like copy/paste are but into the background,

But i would prefer slow graphics and a constant audio stream anyday rather than the other way round.

1 - the audio engine is far from flawless. i think i see your point but the glitches and dropouts far too many people are experiencing .. people with:

- plenty of resources for what they're trying to do

- plenty of resources that other DAW use fine to that same task without the hiccups

... do not bear this out. maybe in pre- vs 4 MIDI days yes. but not anymore

2 - live needs to allow fairly smooth editing operations in the arrange grid to be useful for producing. its not optional, is a basic requirement for a $400+ retail professional audio application.

when pushing the resource meter at above say ... 60% and using lots of RAM .. a lag of a second or two would be acceptable ... closer to 100% even a lag of a few seconds and periodic lockups you can expect as part of what you're trying to do

but delays and lockups with the kind of scenarios we're giving point to something seriously wrong.
--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com

Mbazzy

Post by Mbazzy » Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:23 pm

No problem on my Powermac G5 and Ibook G4 ...
http://www.mbazzy.tk -
Mbazzy's "The dysfunctional playground, a scrapbook a bout the shape of useless things" now OUT on Retinascan - http://www.retinascan.de

Nokatus

Post by Nokatus » Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:28 pm

I'd also like to point out that I do love Live for everything it is. It's a wonderful and inspiring DAW application. As I have said, using it is very intuitive and efficient, but that's also the most important reason I find it so sad seeing it currently working the way it does.

In some of the promotional videos, Robert Henke described the brilliant immediacy of Live, stating that it enables you to realize an idea "in two seconds" :)... Of course that's a simplification for the sake of making an impact in the presentation -- but there's also something very genuine and true to the nature of Live in that statement. Live enables you to experiment, mangle, slice, twist and have some creative fun with your projects. Now, if a simple, single drag operation takes five to ten times the time you thought you'd realize your whole idea in... :cry:

elemental

Post by elemental » Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:38 pm

Mbazzy wrote:No problem on my Powermac G5 and Ibook G4 ...
How big are your sets / arrangements?

cos I never have a problem when starting a tune ... but usually when I have a lot of tracks / clips etc it starts to get real slow.

Mbazzy

Post by Mbazzy » Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:49 pm

Just made a test set with 20 tracks, 50 clips - mix of one shots/1 minute loops, 16 bar, 32 bar loops ... no problem ... mind I'm still on 3.0.4 (but apparently this exists for some people already since 2.x)
http://www.mbazzy.tk -
Mbazzy's "The dysfunctional playground, a scrapbook a bout the shape of useless things" now OUT on Retinascan - http://www.retinascan.de

Chris J

Post by Chris J » Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:19 pm

woaw, 30 seconds ! I can understand your being impatient to have it fixed !

Here even with 30 audio tracks, 10 midi or more, COPY or CUT / PASTE takes about 1 second
Dragging ( as people seem to have the same waiting time for all moves) is much slower but wouldn't go above 3 seconds.
Quad 6600 Intel, AsusP5Q, 2Gb ram, XP sp3, Evolution MK361c & UC33e, Line6 UX8

elemental

Post by elemental » Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:31 pm

So far 70% of users have this prob ... maybe Ableton are part of the lucky 30% in their testing?

Lets keep this going till we get some sort of answer or acknowledgement from the Abletonians.

henry ford

Post by henry ford » Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:12 pm

its as if its moving the stuff in real time.....it could avoid this by just giving you a visual representation of where you are GOING to move something , then when you let go of the mouse button it should go ahead and move it.....at least thats more bareable then having the gui lag as you decide where you want to drop something....

supster

Post by supster » Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:53 pm

elemental wrote:So far 70% of users have this prob ... maybe Ableton are part of the lucky 30% in their testing?

Lets keep this going till we get some sort of answer or acknowledgement from the Abletonians.

i did recieve a brief reply from ableton this morning.

apparently this problem *is* related to the priority the audio is given over the graphic interface.

also was told that because this is the case (its not an error in the code or bug related) that they will work toward improving performance but essentially there are no guarantees.

this is very disappointed because - as ive said a couple of times - its not just a huge problem for us, but a much bigger problem for them imo:

the reputation of live as a production tool will definitely rise or fall according to how creative they can be in making this work out or not, i dont see any way around that.
--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

supster

Post by supster » Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:57 pm

henry ford wrote:its as if its moving the stuff in real time.....it could avoid this by just giving you a visual representation of where you are GOING to move something , then when you let go of the mouse button it should go ahead and move it.....at least thats more bareable then having the gui lag as you decide where you want to drop something....

i think something like this could be a part of the solution, dont know if it could be done or not but if it could it would help.

this way you can continue working quickly as your changes are held in a kind of queue until they could be implemented.

i think some kind of better balancing between audio / gui priority would need to be done ... or even include a user controlled value to choose different resource allocation depending on the nature of the project you're doing.

at the very least they could do extensive testing with different hardware/software configurations and make "official" recommendations on how to cope with this and what factors contribute the most to this

is it mainly ram? it does look like its partially that. also MIDI tracks: seems like the more MIDI tracks in your project ... even if they are empty (key point, because its easy to blame active VSTs) .. the worse this gets. but i havent sat down to test that specifically yet.

i do think really making an all out effort to find out why live consumes so much resources poorly compared to the competition, and just dealing with that overall problem

... even if it means re-writing big chunks of code from the ground up will at least go a long way toward making this bearable.
--

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:57 pm

supster wrote:this is very disappointed because - as ive said a couple of times - its not just a huge problem for us, but a much bigger problem for them imo:

the reputation of live as a production tool will definitely rise or fall according to how creative they can be in making this work out or not, i dont see any way around that.
Isn't it funny how the problem that we end up so frustrated with is the one we feel we should post for the benefit of Ableton? 8O :oops: :lol:

At first I thought this thread was sort of leftfield, but then I realized what you are referring to, and yes, I experience that when dragging multiple selected portions of tracks in the arange view as well. I sort of assumed it had something to do with hierarchy of priorities so as to maintain consistency with audio that is already running, versus longterm preperataion for lengthy compostions. I do however still find it annoying, especially since I am often dealing with mostly midi.

My specs should be in my sig. I would sooner have dual cpu support :wink:

Alien Leg

Post by Alien Leg » Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:58 pm

I hope they'll get into this soon! Drag n drop operations within a set of 30 tracks at 70% CPU is almost too slow here. That's the bearable maximum with my system :(
Win XP Pro SP3, Live 7
Q9450@3.2Ghz, 4 GB RAM,
BCF2000, M-Audio Audiophile 2496, Mindprint TRIO

elemental

Post by elemental » Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:05 pm

supster wrote: ...

this way you can continue working quickly as your changes are held in a kind of queue until they could be implemented.

i think some kind of better balancing between audio / gui priority would need to be done ... or even include a user controlled value to choose different resource allocation depending on the nature of the project you're doing.

Yes, something like this ... as live was written for Live use, and now is being widely used for productiion, perhaps a switch slider to move balance priorities differently according to the situation. Or is this moving too much towards 2 seperate apps??? I dont think so really, cos it could be fun/useful to do kind of live stuff in the arrange view aswell, esp if working with other musicians, with our ability to jump to different parts of the arrangement.

Anyway, this has been top of my needs list since delay compensation came in.

supster

Post by supster » Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:32 pm

elemental wrote:Yes, something like this ... as live was written for Live use, and now is being widely used for productiion, perhaps a switch slider to move balance priorities differently according to the situation. Or is this moving too much towards 2 seperate apps???

i think part of the problem here is something i've noticed but havent heard many other people comment on here in the forum. and that is: a lot of the problems with this program would be solved by allowing more options. but:

ableton seem dead set against this in most cases for design philosophy reasons. this is to avoid the "feature bloat" of cubase and logic etc ..

the idea seems to be to stay true to thier "one size fits all", flexible, live performance roots and distinguish from the competition.

and to a degree this is great, it makes a lot of things possible, quick intuitive writing, flexible routing, ideally it should keep the footprint of the application low etc etc.etc . BUT:

its not really working out so well anymore, is it?

a small application size without efficient resource management is defeating the purpose. i'd rather have a DAW that has a somewhat larger EXE basic RAM requirments that performs efficiently, than a small one that doesnt.

right? i mean hypothetically if thats what it took than thats what should probably be done

also:

once they made the decision to move toward making it a full fledged production environment - and not just a revolutionary audio app for live performance ... suddenly you are moving into a different area with different requirements.

now its a program in which all the things it needs to handle, and allow for all the different ways of working (live PA, DJ, production, arranging, recording etc) cannot be done with the same "one size fits all" approach anymore

ie its that old saying "you cant have your cake and eat it too" - which from my perspective is exactly what they - or at least some people inside the company - are still trying to do.

if you are trying to do it all in one application - with a minium of options - i think you have to make up your mind whether to focus your priorities on
Live performance (PA, DJ) or Studio production

then once you make that decision, you can plan your features accordingly. because obviously the requirements are different and if you try one way without options, you are wrecking things for half of your users. this is being born out in so many cases ...

example: handling of the "orange dot" being a major example of that as well, and its still not working logically. because the position of the start marker, requirements are different depending on whether your playing live or writing.

its either focus on one or the other, or finally cave in and start adding more options to accomodate both halves of the user base with a program that is flexible enough to configure for both.

how difficult would it be to add a small button near the clip view that allows you to switch start marker behavior? i dont know, but its certainly not a case of thier not being enough room for one more little switch. there are tons of examples like this but they dont seem to be receptive to solutions like this

anyway i think you either have to make up your mind you are going to start allowing more options .. OR ... you split the product line into two seperate lines. which is another way to do it, but no matter what they do i do think something needs to be done because the current way is causing a lot of problems for a lot of people.
--

Nokatus

Post by Nokatus » Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:04 pm

Just to shortly comment all of this: examining the way the editing lag manifests, I still find it funny if the priority of the realtime audio is given as an explanation. As I have questioned before, if the priority issues are the key, why isn't the editing behaviour consistent? Why does it start all OK when you open a project and then gradually lag more and more?

It can't be only the priorities shifting over time for some reason, now can it? If it indeed is that, what is the difference in the actual program state between the moment when editing is functioning like it should and the state where it suddenly has become a pain to use..? Something's accumulating in there.

As Supster said, the lag can be "related to" the way Live handles audio. I believe this may very well be the case. However, to say it's just a simple issue of giving the audio stream a higher priority... I just don't buy that.

And still... I do realize the massive effort the Abletons are going through with the application. It's got a good spirit. I believe the issues will eventually be resolved.

Wouldn't use anything else, folks 8)
Last edited by Nokatus on Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.