looping but not warping

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
andrewbrewer

Post by andrewbrewer » Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:43 pm

zenke wrote:thanks everyone for the thoughts and comments. I have been trying out the ideas and the follow action one works best for me. Its interesting to set the time control to various settings and have the sample repeat at odd times.
I also used the click and drag method which works well but I was really looking for an option to use in clips view while improvising.
Is there any reason that its not possible to loop but not warp though? just wondered.
Cheers all
z
zenke, you could try dragging the clip into simpler. you need to trigger mid-C in simpler with a midi clip that has a start point at "note-start", and a loop starting just after the note-start (say 1/16) -- also be sure that the note is longer than loop end.

this will trigger the note in simpler but it will never let go. (no note-off)

then the looping can be freely controlled via simpler ... try adjusting the loop start/end (ensure that "snap to sero crossings" is disabled) ... instant experimental rubbish! (good rubbish) plus if you set simpler to monophonic/glide, there's lots of old school tape-ish fun to be had. (pitch bend will speed-up, slow-down the loop for example, like a tape ... the pitch lfo gives some more phun...)

zenke

Post by zenke » Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:43 am

yep thats a good one as well Andrewb. thanks. I'm discovering all sorts of fun experimental stuff.
cheers
z

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:16 pm

andrewbrewer wrote:
zenke wrote:thanks everyone for the thoughts and comments. I have been trying out the ideas and the follow action one works best for me. Its interesting to set the time control to various settings and have the sample repeat at odd times.
I also used the click and drag method which works well but I was really looking for an option to use in clips view while improvising.
Is there any reason that its not possible to loop but not warp though? just wondered.
Cheers all
z
zenke, you could try dragging the clip into simpler. you need to trigger mid-C in simpler with a midi clip that has a start point at "note-start", and a loop starting just after the note-start (say 1/16) -- also be sure that the note is longer than loop end.

this will trigger the note in simpler but it will never let go. (no note-off)

then the looping can be freely controlled via simpler ... try adjusting the loop start/end (ensure that "snap to sero crossings" is disabled) ... instant experimental rubbish! (good rubbish) plus if you set simpler to monophonic/glide, there's lots of old school tape-ish fun to be had. (pitch bend will speed-up, slow-down the loop for example, like a tape ... the pitch lfo gives some more phun...)
fruityloops uses this method as its main way of sample playback. im kicking myself for not thinking of doing this in live. but to be honest i dont have to do what you need to. good tip

quandry

Post by quandry » Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:45 pm

definitely a good tip, andrew! Others may want to check out Angstrom's (a fellow on these forums) looper, or the dub scrolls website ( http://www.interruptor.ch/dub_basics.shtml ) for more analog/tape style looping devices.
Dell Studio XPS 8100 Windows 7 64-bit, 10 GB RAM. RME Multiface, Avalon U5 & M5, Distressor, Filter Factory, UC33e, BCR-2000, FCB1010, K-Station, Hr 824 & H120 sub, EZ Bus, V-Drums, DrumKat EZ, basses, guitars, pedals... http://www.ryan-hughes.net

TheAnimal

Post by TheAnimal » Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:37 pm

Cool trick not to get a note-off! Never thought of that.