Problem with scenes playback

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
ro1960

Problem with scenes playback

Post by ro1960 » Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:21 pm

I just started to use Live 5.0.2 for my first remix project. I use it on a Powebook G4 667MHz running OS X 10.4.2.

I have not been able to have the scenes play automatically in sequence. I start my first scene, to have the next one play, I have to click its play button.

So far I've dealt with that OK, I clicked on the next scene's play button and it would start when the current one is finished perfectly on the beat.

But now I'm having another problem, the next scene starts as soon as I click its play button, not respecting the bard and tempo, pretty messy.

I have tried to change the prefs, they don't seem to affect any of that.

Any suggestion welcome.

amo

Post by amo » Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:27 pm

Hi,

the scene launching is related to the general quantize value, just close to the Live transport: it is a drop down menu where you choose something between none and some bars. Yours may be at "none" ?
There are keybord shortcuts to change those without the mouse...
Best,
amo
Live 5.0.3 - IBM Thinkpad R51 1.5ghz Centrino - 1,5 Go RAM - 7200 RPM 2nd HDD intern - RME Multiface - Windows XP Pro SP2

ro1960

Post by ro1960 » Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:13 pm

OK, thanks, that did it for the sync issue, but how do I get my all scenes to play in orde without human intervention?

amo

Post by amo » Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:17 pm

ro1960 wrote:OK, thanks, that did it for the sync issue, but how do I get my all scenes to play in orde without human intervention?
That you dont.... or you do but with a huge workaround, like a midi track with midi dummy clip that output to a virtual midi port, and that very virtual midi input port set as a controller for live. Then each clip sends a different midi note, each scene is assigned to a midi note, and you write follow actions in each midi clip. Wow, that's a lot of work...
Live 5.0.3 - IBM Thinkpad R51 1.5ghz Centrino - 1,5 Go RAM - 7200 RPM 2nd HDD intern - RME Multiface - Windows XP Pro SP2

ro1960

Post by ro1960 » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:15 pm

OK, rather odd. I guess I misinterpreted that in the manual:
The scene below a launched scene will automatically be selected as the next to be launched
unless the Select Next Scene on Launch option in the Misc Preferences is set to Off.
This allows you to trigger scenes from top to bottom without having to select them rst.
Computer keys or a MIDI controller can be used to launch scenes and scroll between them

My personal logics and the above text lead me to believe that it was how it was supposed to work.

I am still getting aquainted with the Live philosophy....
:?

Comfy

Post by Comfy » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:27 pm

Yeah, bit strange this! I thought the exact same thing :?

I do know that once you have selected the play button in the first scene, you can trigger following scenes by pressing ENTER. Where each press of ENTER triggers the next scene.

In fact it would be nice to have a "Follow Action" setting just for Scenes! :D

Looks like I'm off the the Feature Wishlist Forum............

edrawl

Is it a feature or not?

Post by edrawl » Wed May 31, 2006 2:23 pm

I'm trying to decide on whether or not to buy Live, and one of the biggest reasons to buy it is this feature, quoted from the manual, which I have spent many hours trying to make work. Shouldn't it work this way if the manual says it does?

The scene below a launched scene will automatically be selected as the next to be launched
unless the Select Next Scene on Launch option in the Misc Preferences is set to Off.
This allows you to trigger scenes from top to bottom without having to select them rst.
Computer keys or a MIDI controller can be used to launch scenes and scroll between them

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Wed May 31, 2006 3:26 pm

what's written is true - you don't have to select them first

you do have to take some kind of action for the next launch. if 'select next scene on launch' is enabled, then this is just hitting enter again, or hitting whatever midi control is mapped to 'launch selected scene'

if you forget about scenes as such for a minute, you could also have follow actions on the individual clips.

or like amo said, midi loopback to have follow actions on the scenes themselves

roadcustard

Post by roadcustard » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:44 pm

so you cant record a verse on one scene, then a chorus on another and have live play through the scenes automatically? you have to manually trigger each scene by using a foot contoller (or some other device)? If this is true its a major pain for a guitarist...surely such a simple (but usefull) thing would be easy to implement?