burning a gapless dj mix with track points

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dazzer

burning a gapless dj mix with track points

Post by dazzer » Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:03 pm

basically, i wanna burn a dj mix i've just recorded but I wanna insert distinct tracks, so that playback is gapless but it shows as containing seperate tracks when played in a cd player.

Ive got live5, a mac and an old copy of bias peak. how do i do it?

cheers

amo

Post by amo » Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:06 pm

Hi,

You can record your mix as one piece as you do, cut it into pieces into peak, where you want the tracks to be and then burn it with a 0 seconds pause in between the tracks. Then it will ply gapless but you'll be able to jump to sections. Don't forget you have to leave a 2 seconds pause before the first track, but your burner will remind you I think.
Hope that helps,
amo
Live 5.0.3 - IBM Thinkpad R51 1.5ghz Centrino - 1,5 Go RAM - 7200 RPM 2nd HDD intern - RME Multiface - Windows XP Pro SP2

dazzer

Post by dazzer » Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:11 pm

Thanx a lot!

Didn't realise it was as simple as that, i'll give it a try.

Cheers

subterFUSE

Post by subterFUSE » Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:56 pm

Or get CD Architect 5. Thats what I use. Just point and click where you want track markers. Couldn't be easier.

amo

Post by amo » Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:13 pm

Right, but more expensive :wink:
Cheers,
amo
Live 5.0.3 - IBM Thinkpad R51 1.5ghz Centrino - 1,5 Go RAM - 7200 RPM 2nd HDD intern - RME Multiface - Windows XP Pro SP2

dazzer

Post by dazzer » Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:29 pm

(CD architect is discontinued and PC only, isnt it?)

OK, opened the rendered file up in peak, but not really sure in what way i need to edit it. i know how to edit a file, but how do it break up a big file into small chunks that i then burn together? I tried adding markers at the start of each track but then got a bit lost...

anyone care to point out what obvious point im missing?

(sorry for being so clueless on this one)

amo

Post by amo » Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:35 pm

What I would do (did it in soundforge, PC), it put markers where needed, then drag parts to make new files out of them, if possible.
Otherwise save the original with markers and then delete all non needed parts, like erasing all the end but the first part, saving as track one, then erasing the first part, leaving the second one, and erasing all the rest, save as track 2 etc.. If you don't have 99 tracks, it's doable...

Cheers,
amo

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:39 pm

Amo, you are confusing him. There us no need to do it- cutting into separate tracks, you only need to put index markers, refere to the manual of your software, I dont know what they may be called in French. Beware also not to be confused by various types- names of markers (unfortunately it may differ by various softwares). Proper markers once done can be read by other softwares too, i think it is included in Redbook standard. Soundforge, CD Architect, Wavelab, Audition even Nero let you burn one set but indexed. Just carefull to set "0" pause, default is mostly 2 secs

dazzer

Post by dazzer » Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:56 pm

Thanx for the replies guys

In the end, i got it recorded, although i think i did it a bit of a long way round.

I set markers in Peak, then selected "export regions" - this gave me all the separate tracks on my desktop. i added them to my iTunes library and burned a CD from there.

Not exactly elegant, i'll have to think about a quicker way of doing it, but at least I got it done.

amo

Post by amo » Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:57 pm

Hi,

It is true my post was a bit unclear, but I'm positive that you cannot drop indexes in soundforge nor in peak. When I said mrker, I meant marker. Those are audio editors but no CD burners... That's why I'm using this very odd method.. cutting, then burning in nero or so. Well, now I'm using sony vegas, but that was the way I was doing it before.

Cheers,
amo

amo

Post by amo » Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:09 pm

rikhyray wrote:Amo, you are confusing him. There us no need to do it- cutting into separate tracks, you only need to put index markers, refere to the manual of your software, I dont know what they may be called in French. Beware also not to be confused by various types- names of markers (unfortunately it may differ by various softwares). Proper markers once done can be read by other softwares too, i think it is included in Redbook standard. Soundforge, CD Architect, Wavelab, Audition even Nero let you burn one set but indexed. Just carefull to set "0" pause, default is mostly 2 secs
Sorry, I misread your post. Never tried that thing of burning in nero a marked mix... Have to have a look, I'll call me a fool for all those years of not so elegant solutions... Thanks for sharing.
Best,
amo

Jesse

Post by Jesse » Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:06 pm

Or just do it in Live 5. Set markers where you want them between songs, right click on them to Loop between markers, and render the output, burning the results in your burn app (such as toast) with no space between, and 2 seconds before the first track. Someone should do a tutorial on this. Oops, that would be me.

amo

Post by amo » Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:38 pm

Jesse wrote:Or just do it in Live 5. Set markers where you want them between songs, right click on them to Loop between markers, and render the output, burning the results in your burn app (such as toast) with no space between, and 2 seconds before the first track. Someone should do a tutorial on this. Oops, that would be me.
Wow, how didn't I think of that myself ! :lol:

amo

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:40 pm

You cannot do it with Soundforge ? New SF has CD Architect built in . That is nice about Wavelab, takes few seconds to do the whole thing. Unfortunately since i have very new laptop it will take months till I will be able to do it with WL (till drivers updates- on theWL side, Steinberg support- the worst of 3 worlds). It works with Nero but I dont want it on my new pc. Vegas should have some burn functions.

dj_statikfire

Post by dj_statikfire » Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:48 am

Live SUCKS for not having markers.

THX,
Jason D
www.statikfire.com
- downloads for club dee jays and internet radio stations
- forum with articles on mixing