Looping audio clips to playback without warping

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
adf

Post by adf » Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:14 pm

Has there been any mention as to whether they plan to ever implement it?

Soma

Post by Soma » Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:37 pm

Even if I can't loop while not in warp, I'd like to be able to find the BPM of a selected area (so I can set the project BPM to that).

Is this already possible?

(I'm still having a hell of a time warping material correctly and quickly, especially if there are a million incorrect warp markers auto-generated on import) If someone could PM me with a link to the best guide on that I'd be thankful.

adf

Post by adf » Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:44 am

Ok so I was recording some guitar parts straight in and warp was automatically turned on, and I had the warp type set to complex. I didnt try to alter the project tempo or anything but the clip was effected. Turning off warp corrected it and played it back the way it should sound. I know people are saying that if the warp type was set to 'beats' it should sound like its not being warped, but the fact that it sounds different when you switch it to 'complex' means that it is being affected by having the warp switch turned on even when you don't change the tempo. Whether it is less obvious when in 'beats' mode is irrelevant, the sound is affected.

kineticUk

Post by kineticUk » Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:39 pm

I agree adf..
MacBook MacOS Live 9.7.1 Max for Live Push Logic

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:39 pm

do the phase testing yourself. the various warp modes have different effects. I am fuzzy on the results from when i did this, but i'm pretty sure that beats mode is safe, not sure about tones, fairly sure that texture is not safe (?) and definitely complex will ALWAYS change the audio.

if you're recording audio, you really ought to have warp mode set to re-pitch.

adf

Post by adf » Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:43 pm

Is there a way to set warp mode to default to off for newly recorded clips?

The thing is I rarely actually use warp but I do use the session view to trigger clips and record straight into the arrangement sometimes, its a nice organic way to arrange on the fly.

So when I record new clips I dont want them warped, and when I am looping up sections to rough out an arrangement using the session view I don't want the audio quality to suffer just because I am looping a segment.

There have been times when I've noticed something sounding a little dodgy when I've got a a few tracks going on, and then discovered a clip was set to warp in complex mode. You shouldn't have to manually go through turning off warp on all your clips.

electropoet

Post by electropoet » Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:46 am

No...this is what the whole post is about...when looping, warping must be on. What would be optimal would be to choose on a track by track basis, what kind of warping will be used, if any, at all.

I don't give a damn what anybody says about recording a clip at a certain BPM and having it NOT affect the clip even when its played back at the same tempo...that is B.S. It became very obvious when I began looping vocal passages with a decent outboard reverb...no phase test needed...it sounded shite when set to beats mode...although in texture mode it was much more even. That'd be great except now I have to use texture mode even when records drum beats...I guess you can't win.

I could see this as a major feature in a future upgrade.

BTW-Live 6 is completely unusable for me right now. Way, way to many bugs...Ableton should have waited to release it, and I should have waited for several more versions before I forked over my cash for the upgrade...very disappointed.

mooncaine

Funny you should mention buggy...

Post by mooncaine » Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:22 am

I downloaded the upgrade, but I didn't want to install it until I knew for sure it wouldn't replace 5. I'm new to Ableton Live, so it might be fine.

Will 5 be safe and untouched if I install 6?

Ball Sack

Post by Ball Sack » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:21 am

Look at the amount of requests for this feature.............Ableton really listen to their customers.

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:10 pm

adf wrote:Is there a way to set warp mode to default to off for newly recorded clips?

The thing is I rarely actually use warp but I do use the session view to trigger clips and record straight into the arrangement sometimes, its a nice organic way to arrange on the fly.

So when I record new clips I dont want them warped, and when I am looping up sections to rough out an arrangement using the session view I don't want the audio quality to suffer just because I am looping a segment.

There have been times when I've noticed something sounding a little dodgy when I've got a a few tracks going on, and then discovered a clip was set to warp in complex mode. You shouldn't have to manually go through turning off warp on all your clips.
yeah this bothers me too - i'd like to have default no warp

but if you set your default to re-pitch, then i don't see how one could end up in complex without you actually setting it

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:15 pm

electropoet wrote:
I don't give a damn what anybody says about recording a clip at a certain BPM and having it NOT affect the clip even when its played back at the same tempo...that is B.S. It became very obvious when I began looping vocal passages with a decent outboard reverb...no phase test needed...it sounded shite when set to beats mode..

why would you be playing a vocal track in beats mode? if you don't want any warping artifacts, set it to re-pitch

adf

Post by adf » Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:01 pm

but if you set your default to re-pitch, then i don't see how one could end up in complex without you actually setting it
I think at the time I was under the impression that the warp mode was not effecting the sound or recorded stuff, and had just left it set to complex mode in the preferences from when I was experimenting with trying to default warp to off. I only noticed what it was doing to the sound a bit later after a few things had aleady been changed to complex. I guess I'll leave the default (if we have to choose) on 'repitch' then, or should that be 'beats'? :)

forge

Post by forge » Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:14 pm

longjohns wrote:
adf wrote:Is there a way to set warp mode to default to off for newly recorded clips?

set the default in preferences>record/warp/launch to "unwarped one shot"

and if you want to loop without warp what's wrong with repitch??

repitch mode only plays the sample rate either faster or slower so it doesnt affect the quality AT ALL

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:04 am

forge wrote:
set the default in preferences>record/warp/launch to "unwarped one shot"
eh, this doesn't work for me. to be clear, i'm talking about new recorded clips. i've currently got short samples to "unwarped one shot" and auto warp long samples set to OFF

still when i record a new clip, it has warp turned on. i'm using re-pitch so it doesnt really matter but it still seems like there should be some way to make it default to having the warp button off
Last edited by longjohns on Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:12 am

adf wrote:
I think at the time I was under the impression that the warp mode was not effecting the sound or recorded stuff
my understanding is that it does not effet the recording itself, only how it is played back. however a danger to watch out for is consolidating, which will capture the output of the warp algorithm.... so you've got to keep that in mind when you're going to consolidate a clip.

it would be better to consolidate with warp off. except that can change where a clip sits in the arrangement if it's been warped. still in terms of sound quality i think you'd be better off consolidating it clean and then re-warping afterwards, even if you had to spend some extra time resetting warp markers.