Looping audio clips to playback without warping

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
maparr07

Post by maparr07 » Wed May 10, 2006 6:02 pm

I mean seriously, why can't they make it just simple, I just want to launch my samples and loop some of them because they all already make a song. I mean seriously between the toogle button and the warping there has to be some simple way of looping. seriously.
The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad. -Salvador Dali

cbit

Post by cbit » Fri May 26, 2006 11:39 am

this would be useful, yes.
basementhum.blogspot.com. Adventures in computer music production.
Macbook 2 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo. 3GB RAM. OS X 10.5.8

TequilaKez

Post by TequilaKez » Sun May 28, 2006 6:49 am

I agree feature should be there. good example is a recorded pad sound that fades out but isnt quite a whole bar long or an old vinyl drum loop sample that's cut short a bit. I just want it to play unwarped and retrigger in sync. You can do this with follow actions but they have side affects like needing to be re'play'ed when you reload a set to start them looping again.

In regards to quandry's point I think what he's trying to say is that ableton does a quick check 'if origional tempo=song tempo then don't bother processing the sample. This means that the only way this feature will help you is visually seeing the little warping light change and nothing more...so... is it really that important?

maparr07

Post by maparr07 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:12 pm

seriously why can't they fix that, it's retarded, and can be fixed very very easily I imagine. And it causes lots and lots of problems for me. lots. fix it. seriously.
The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad. -Salvador Dali

dirk

Post by dirk » Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:03 am

Yes, that would be very good feature!

Korhan

Post by Korhan » Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:58 am

Yes, Live is way too BPM oriented. Please Ableton, broaden your horizons and give us more experimental musicians these small improvements (see assigning one MIDI to many parameters) so that Live is not just a techno/DJ tool (I have nothing against these genres and have a 1-hour techno set in the works myself). Live has so many features that can be used in experimental/non-BPM electroacoustic performances/recordings, but some very simple missing functionality takes a lot away from the program.

Korhan
Computer: MBP M1Pro 32GB 1TB, MixPre 6 MKII
Hardware: Syntrx II, Matriarch, Hydrasynth, Minifreak, Nord Drum 2, Modular (mainly Make Noise)
Controllers: Push 3, Launchpad Mk3, Launch Control, Sensel Morph, PC4, Nanokontrol

Cryptic UK

Post by Cryptic UK » Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:35 pm

I was just wondering if anyone knew if this feature has put into live 6?

thanks.
Drums

astaplatz

Post by astaplatz » Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:41 am

most definetly an essential addition. i'd also like to pitch clips that are in "warp mode pitch" as sometimes I need to do some slight notal corrections.

nylonius

But it's not the same when warp is on

Post by nylonius » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:03 pm

I have a minute-long audio clip of continuous sound without beats. I set it to the tempo of the session. I delete all the warp makers. I do not make any changes to any of the clip parameters. I turn warp on, and unwanted artefacts (like accents) appear in the sound.

Can anyone help?

n

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:42 pm

make sure it's in re-pitch, or at least NOT complex

nylonius

It helped!

Post by nylonius » Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:52 am

longjohns wrote:make sure it's in re-pitch, or at least NOT complex
Thanks a lot, that seemed to help! I was using Beat mode (even if there are no beats or transients in the clip) because that's what the Ableton support recommended for "absolutely no processing". But it did produce unwanted noises.

So it seems that the receipt for undistorted, un-warped looping is:
1. Delete warp markers
2. Set the clip tempo to the session tempo
3. Use Re-pitch mode

n

Ball Sack

Post by Ball Sack » Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:39 pm

We need this one also please.

mooncaine

Trying to get started looping; timing issues

Post by mooncaine » Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:27 am

I'm trying to get Ableton Live to loop, live, hands-free, and I've got to the point where I just can't figure out how to get the loops to restart on time [I think -- not sure that's the prob, cuz I'm so new to Ableton Live]. I'm playing guitar into it right now, trying to lay down a bass line, say, 2 bars, add 2 bars of chickachicka riddim guitar ... and the chickachicka never seems to be 2 bars long. Always a little too short or long. I thought Live was going to auto-adjust these for me, but either it doesn't or it's trying and I out-smarted it [out-dumbed it is more like it].

Can you point me to a thread or two, or a URL, with some tips about live looping with Ableton Live?

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:15 pm

the key is going to be using the global quantization, probably set to 1 bar, 2 bars, etc.

that way whenever you start a new clip recording, end it's recording or begin playback of the new clip, it will be perfectly on a bar marker.

mercyplease

Post by mercyplease » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:39 am

Well they didnt add this in version six :roll:
HA HA HA :twisted: