Looping audio clips to playback without warping

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Machinate

Post by Machinate » Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:59 pm

quandry wrote: I still agree that it could be useful for people doing soundtrack stuff like Noamh, but it has a limited audience, as having more than one clip looping at different tempos usually results in cacophony.
this very much depends on the source material. A soft whisper, a light pad sound etc can gain so much momentum by being out of sync. However this can all be done via midi after the fact, and for me this is enough. One rotary controller to change the global q, one button to drop the end of the loop.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

Cryptic UK

Post by Cryptic UK » Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:44 pm

Add this please

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:06 pm

Hmmm

1st I think to myself, how would a loop not warpped to tempo sound when everythin else is sync'd to say 130 and your none warped loop is cut at 128

it will start to sound aweful, like quick

then I think to myself, well ok it would nice

but then can't you just bounce on the fly at your desired tempo and then turn the warp mode off / loop mode?

I can see why you would want this but still kind of perplexed on how it would work

a
Ableton | Elektron

Music

radeon

Post by radeon » Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:21 am

quandry wrote:I guess I agree it could be useful, but there are a couple of things to note. If your clip was recorded at the exact tempo (bpm) of your Live set, having warp on in order to loop the clip does absolutely nothing to degrade the sound--Ryan
:roll: record audio at same BPM copy audio to arrange page. One warp and one no warp. bounce down and phaser reverse test.
Are you 100% certainly warp do not affect audio.

Ableton could do this loop no warp audio. It is able in arrange views using L R locate. Able should use same style as global quant in session view to loop section without warp. or add new method track like other daws. So Live could have no warp track.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:17 am

did you do the phase test like that? that would be a good way of knowing if it affects the audio. though I do know for sure that if it does affect the audio that my simple human ear can't hear the difference. of course thats only if the loop is at original tempo. I can't hear the difference if it's at original tempo. different tempo is a differeent story of course.

but I'd like to hear the results of the phase reverse test.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

Magnetotron

Post by Magnetotron » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:07 pm

+1 for this feature. I too would like the warp unlinked from the loop button. This seems like an easy way to loop sounds at their native playback speeds without having to mess around in the clip.

smog g

Post by smog g » Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:12 pm

yes abes! let us have this feature

frugalpole

Post by frugalpole » Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:42 pm

icedsushi wrote:I use follow actions but yes, this would be much more convenient. Hey ableton doods, just let us switch the loop switch on while warping is off please. :)
YES!

melocoton

Post by melocoton » Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:46 am

Adding a loop without warp feature is fine by me but I just thought I'd point out that it IS in fact possible to have multiple clips looping independent of the main BPM if you're doing experimental stuff or you want long ambient loops to collide against each other.

All you need to do is set the clip's BPM to be equal to the project BPM and then adjust the start and end points of the loop with snapping to grid turned off if necessary. If your clip is set to be the same BPM as the rest of the song then it won't warp but your loop point probably won't be at an exact bar or beat mark so you simply set it by hand. I hope this makes sense, as it's much easier to do that it is to explain :)

Cryptic UK

Post by Cryptic UK » Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:47 pm

come on ableton give me this feature, this is just simple stuff.
Drums

kineticUk

Post by kineticUk » Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:18 am

i always record into a tune with a set tempo
Like I work with Looping bits of audio which I have made myself
So anyone else work this way?
Anyway this is one thing I would like so am putting back up the list to see if anyone else agrees.
Cheers
MacBook MacOS Live 9.7.1 Max for Live Push Logic

Cryptic UK

Post by Cryptic UK » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:04 am

i want this.
Drums

thomas_omaley

loop without warp feature

Post by thomas_omaley » Wed May 03, 2006 1:45 am

I found live an excelent electronic music performance app. I mean, I think this is the first (and only) soft, REALLY designed with the performer in mind. Not the bunch of features, not the development company renown, not the aim the do the very best soft, just a excelent perform oriented soft. It's just what it is. And it is what I think ableton's people try to do. So ading such a feature, maybe, is senseless for live's designers. What I mean is, adding this feature maybe have something more to do with other softwares. I'll not be Live anymore, cause its off sight. Am I clear?
anyway...

I'm also needing this feature a lot !!!! pleaaaaaseee !!!
Add it asap !!!

thx

dx

quandry

Post by quandry » Wed May 03, 2006 2:23 am

i can see certain uses for this feature, and its fine if they add it, but if you record the clip at the songs tempo, having the warp on in order to loop it does not degrade the audio whatsoever period, unless you start monkeying with settings like transpose...
Dell Studio XPS 8100 Windows 7 64-bit, 10 GB RAM. RME Multiface, Avalon U5 & M5, Distressor, Filter Factory, UC33e, BCR-2000, FCB1010, K-Station, Hr 824 & H120 sub, EZ Bus, V-Drums, DrumKat EZ, basses, guitars, pedals... http://www.ryan-hughes.net

geoffroy

Post by geoffroy » Wed May 03, 2006 2:39 pm

I highly support this feature request. I do beatless tracks sometimes, and just needs some loops going at different tempi.