Looping audio clips to playback without warping

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
breakphreak

Re: i agree

Post by breakphreak » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:22 pm

hrdvsion wrote:also because then you could loop really small sections or more specific without warping...
Simpler/sampler can do it, but having it as a real feature (not hack again) would be nice. Perhaps, with an ability to define the clip length in units of the master tempo (if any tempo has been set).

cbit

Post by cbit » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:46 pm

dj superflat wrote:now please stop spreading malicious gossip re effect of warp at original tempo in repitch mode (go search for the exhaustive threads on this).
@ whom?
basementhum.blogspot.com. Adventures in computer music production.
Macbook 2 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo. 3GB RAM. OS X 10.5.8

Cryptic UK

Post by Cryptic UK » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:00 am

Anybody know if this feature is in live 7?
Drums

bengazale

Post by bengazale » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:44 pm

I'm puzzled, as i've been struggling with this issue.
I use live for performances, and I need to loop 8 simultaneous samples ( out of a data bank of 200+ clips).
Most of them are vocal clips, texts etc, that i combine with sounds, textures and songs in imprvisational pieces ( with dancers).
But the clips keep warping to tempo, giving the texts chipmunk voices or accelerated songs etc... i need for all the clips to repeat (loop) in order to construct but with no tempo or pitch change. Is this not possible ? do i have to fiddle with the warped tempo in each clip ? an effect i was using a lot was a combination of multiple metronome clips which generate rhythmical confusion, but now they just synch together.... hard

this is really problematic, if anyone can help it would be great...
maybe this use is less common, but not everybody's using computers for djing styles where rhythm is fundamental. a simple playback looping option is necessary for live performance flexibility.
i hope i'm mistaken and this is possible, because otherwise it's a big letdown as it implies i need to find another software for this piece.
b

Timur

Post by Timur » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:56 am

Simple solution for all your problems. Load a clip unwarped (turn off Autowarp in preferences) or just disable/re-enable an autowarped clip. It will lose all warp-markers (which may have different sequence tempos set) except the first at the beginning of the clip and the clip's sequence tempo (of the first and only warp-marker) will be set to the global tempo (whatever it is). The clip will play at original tempo now as long as the clip's tempo equals/is the same as the global tempo! If you change global tempo afterwards you may need to reset Start and End markers of the clip, while the Loop markers should remain untouched.

As long as you don't use Autowarp and have clip tempo equal global tempo all Warp modes except Complex will produce exactly the same output as unwarped clips, bit by bit!

If a clip is autowarped (and you did not disable/re-enable it) then all Warp modes may produce different results from each other and from unwarped clips! Sometimes it may not (depending on warp-markers), but I'd better stay away from Autowarp at the time being if I want unaltered content.

breakphreak

Post by breakphreak » Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:10 pm

+1

Cryptic UK

Post by Cryptic UK » Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:46 pm

Im guessing by about Live 17 this feature will be implemented, lets hope they don't just simply forget about it by then.
Drums

jubaiique

how to disable/enable?

Post by jubaiique » Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:55 pm

Hi! I'm curious about this too--I don't think I'm disabling/enabling the clip correctly, as every time I do it, the warp markers remain and are making a jumble of my track. And I did turn off autowarp, etc. Do you mean reloading the clip altogether? That would be a pain, and they are all selected from a long wav file... Any help would be great! Thanks so much!

Timur

Post by Timur » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:09 pm

This seems to have changed since the Beta. Anyway there is another and better way to make clips play at original tempo while setting them exactly to song-tempo and deleting all warp-markers. Right-Click on the very first warp-marker "1" and chose "Warp xy BPM from here", where xy will display your current song-tempo.

jubaiique

Post by jubaiique » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:12 pm

Yay! This is great! Thanks!