Looping audio clips to playback without warping

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
DJ VAKIS

Post by DJ VAKIS » Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:35 am

Use sampler or simpler
http://www.myspace.com/djvakis
http://mix2r.fm/audio/user/221

----------------------------------------
MacBookPro 13" Core 2 Duo 2.26Ghz 2GB
Live 8 -Operator -Sampler
AKAI LPD8-GENELEC 1029A-iPhone runing TouchOSC.

Cryptic UK

Post by Cryptic UK » Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:15 pm

Wow what was i thinking you've just solved the problem thanks :roll:
Drums

Tone

Post by Tone » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:09 pm

all these things work, but not as efficiently as being able to loop w/out warping. I can't understand why some people could not see how some of us would really need this. Not every music is "4 on the floor" and not all of us use it for djing. I produce w/ live and all of my sounds are from excerpts from anywhere (ie vinyl) I don't use nice neatly trimmed 1-4 bar loops. The whole point of sample based music is to make things play in time, that were not originally in that time. Fixing them and putting them in time or triggering from the down beat (w/ warping) really defeats the whole purpose. Live has some really great workflow and arranging features that for me are more important than warping. I can throw a whole track in a clip, adjust the trigger to 1/16th and just copy and paste the same clip one right right under the first in the same track, hightlighting different parts with no regard to time or tempo, just on how it sounds. as soon as I'm finished instant MPC (with no memory limits of course). Kinda of like using the clips like (NI) battery. Phatmatic does it good, impulse will work, but just using clips would be SO NICE. Warping DOES change the sound quality even if its just on. Loop w/ no warp PLEASE :!: :D :!:
MacBook Pro 15", 2.0 i7 quad, 16 gb ram, OS X 10.10.2, Live 9.6, PUSH II
https://soundcloud.com/nitepeople

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:21 am

Tone wrote: Warping DOES change the sound quality even if its just on. Loop w/ no warp PLEASE :!: :D :!:
*sigh*

;)

posssu

Post by posssu » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:30 am

+1
Juhana Lehtiniemi - Film composer with Ableton Live

alvarog

Post by alvarog » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:37 pm

I agree on this one too.

I have been searching for this option (Loop audio clip with no warp) since a very long time.
AMD Phenom II X4 | 8GB DDR3 | Raptor 10.000rpm RAID 0 | Win7 Ultimate 64bit | Suite 8 + VSTis | RME Fireface400 | KORG MicroKONTROL | 7 string custom electric guitar

The Mysterious Flying Pum

Post by The Mysterious Flying Pum » Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:08 pm

+10!
13" MacBook - 1Gb RAM/OSX10.4 - Live 6

cbit

Post by cbit » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:27 am

Agreed. I'd love to be able to loop unwarped clips, i was surprised when i first found that this wasn't possible.

(The inability to use transpose envelopes on unwarped clips and clips set to 're-pitch' also regularly costs me a lot of time).
basementhum.blogspot.com. Adventures in computer music production.
Macbook 2 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo. 3GB RAM. OS X 10.5.8

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:53 pm

no need for this "feature"

at orig tempo, warp does nothing.

and if you want loops that are unrelated to tempo at all, use simpler.

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:55 pm

cbit wrote:Agreed. I'd love to be able to loop unwarped clips, i was surprised when i first found that this wasn't possible.

(The inability to use transpose envelopes on unwarped clips and clips set to 're-pitch' also regularly costs me a lot of time).

how do you plan on transposing an unwarped clip?

simply not possible, if you want to change the pitch without changing tempo, you must be warping.

if you want it to behave like a record player, you must use repitch or simpler.

.lm.

cbit

Post by cbit » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:04 pm

leisuremuffin wrote:
cbit wrote:Agreed. I'd love to be able to loop unwarped clips, i was surprised when i first found that this wasn't possible.

how do you plan on transposing an unwarped clip?

simply not possible, if you want to change the pitch without changing tempo, you must be warping.
Yes i know. I never mentioned wanting to change the pitch without changing the duration (a corresponding change in duration is fine).
if you want it to behave like a record player, you must use repitch or simpler.
Repitch mode doesn't allow you to vary playback pitch over time. Importing to simpler does, but this disrupts the workflow badly.

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:11 pm

there are a couple ways to handle that, what specifically do you want to do?

.lm.

cbit

Post by cbit » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:24 pm

I want to be able to choose any audio clip and get it's pitch to drop over time (no timestretch required). I've been looking for the quickest way to do this for a long time.

I'm currently loading clips into simpler, automating transpose while the midi note plays, and recording that. This workaround takes quite a while to perform each time.

I also tried setting the clip to repitch mode and automating the master tempo (temporarily), and re-recording that. But this second way doesn't give me the necessary pitch range that i want.

If you know of other ways to do this i'm interested to hear about them.

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:19 pm

well, if the change needs to be smooth, simpler is the best option.

but if chromatic steps are acceptable, map the launch of the clip to a range of notes and you can play it like a sampler without actually using the simpler instrument.

this is pretty great when combined with "legato" launch mode.

.lm.

dj superflat

Post by dj superflat » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:20 pm

once again:

warp will have no effect at original tempo if (i) tempos are exact match and (ii) you use repitch (beats is likely fine too, stay clear of complex). so if you're at same tempo, warp has no effect, you are looping w/o warp, etc.

you can also very easily loop material w/o having warp on by using follow actions.

so quit complaining.

just kidding, i understand not wanting to have to use a workaround. but if it were that easy to implement, i think it would already be done.

now please stop spreading malicious gossip re effect of warp at original tempo in repitch mode (go search for the exhaustive threads on this).