how to automate CC's within ableton

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Former Pharaoh

Post by Former Pharaoh » Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:18 am

Holy f**kin Christ i finally got it working :roll:

Thanks guys for helping me out. To be honest, i am not sure what i did/didn't do but all of a sudden it's working.
Clearscreen, i checked your diagram and i did do those settingswith the exception of my controller set as a "Track" input.
Hey, this is a start until the Abes implement this (if they ever will) :?
One thing i do to make it a bit easier since i have to use two clips is activate recording on scene launch.

Thanks for the thread Ryansupak :D

EDIT: One more thing CLearscreen: You have to make sure that whatever controller you use is also set as a "remote control" input.

Clearscreen

Post by Clearscreen » Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:54 am

EDIT: One more thing CLearscreen: You have to make sure that whatever controller you use is also set as a "remote control" input.
glad to hear you got it working for you, but actually, you don't want to remote input enable your controller at all. in fact you REALLY don't want to do that.... mainly because you completely lose the ability to record what your doing in midi clips. if you assign something directly to a controller live automatically ignores it if it comes in on any of it's midi tracks, which means you cannot record it into a clip and automate things. just set it as a track input (like you mentioned earlier in your post) and things'll be sweet.

because you're routing all midi data from the controller to a midiyoke, and that is set as the remote control input, you're actually assigning all your midi controls to the midiyoke remote input. if you enable the controller as a remote input as well you'd be doubling up the incoming midi ie you turn a knob to assign it and live gets midi info from the controller directly AND the midiyoke simultaneously. if you then do your assingments and live is taking data from both inputs it's kind of a 50/50 chance that live will take the input directly from the controller, and hence you lose any way of recording the movements to a midi clip as all midi tracks will ignore the incoming data from your controller.
Hp Elitebook 2.8Ghz. Live 7.0.14 & Live 8.1.5, XP Pro. and stuff...

hyerstay

Post by hyerstay » Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:07 am

Can you please repost the image or diagram, Clearscreen? The link is not working.

Thanks,

jason

Former Pharaoh

Post by Former Pharaoh » Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:32 am

glad to hear you got it working for you, but actually, you don't want to remote input enable your controller at all. in fact you REALLY don't want to do that.... mainly because you completely lose the ability to record what your doing in midi clips. if you assign something directly to a controller live automatically ignores it if it comes in on any of it's midi tracks, which means you cannot record it into a clip and automate things. just set it as a track input (like you mentioned earlier in your post) and things'll be sweet.
You're right. It's very strange. When i originally got it to work, if i did not have my controller activated under "Remote" in "Input", i could not map any CCs to parameters. So i turned on remote,mapped my CC but then it wouldn't automate. So i was going back and forth activating/deactivating "remote". So i activated the input for my controller under Remote Control Surfaces and that solved the problem. SO I thought. I went back in there and it did exactly as you said. But at least it's working fine so far with the "track" enabled and "Remote" disbabled. I'm hoping it will stay that way.
Anyways, all this activating/deactivating and blah blah blah has worn me out. I'm taking a couple days off.
Thanks again!

Clearscreen

Post by Clearscreen » Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:18 am

Can you please repost the image or diagram, Clearscreen? The link is not working.
i'll see what i can do, it was only on one of those free photo album sites. if find the time to sort another one out i'll put it back up elsewhere.
Anyways, all this activating/deactivating and blah blah blah has worn me out. I'm taking a couple days off.
Thanks again!
i know whatcha mean! it can do yer freakin head in alright! :lol:

ryansupak

Post by ryansupak » Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:42 pm

clearscreen:

you can mail it to me if you want, and i'll put it up next to my existing diagrams.

my handle, at gmail dot com...

rs

hyerstay

Post by hyerstay » Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:54 pm

Ryan, it seems like Clearscreen's instructions are different than yours. He says not to enable remote input for your controller, while your diagram shows otherwise. Also, why does your screenshot show an unused IAC channel 1?

Thanks,

jason

ryansupak

Post by ryansupak » Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:55 pm

Yeah, I was hoping to have a look at his diagram so I could see what differs.

Oh, and disregard IAC 1. It's for something totally separate on that computer...I probably should make a diagram without it.

rs

Clearscreen

Post by Clearscreen » Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:39 am

i've emailed the pic to you ryan. i hadn't really thought about that you had the remote input for the keystation enabled in your diagram... i know it's not something you need to do on pc, but mac is an alien world to me so maybe if you could try it without it and see if it works... i have an idea about where the difference might be, but i have to think about it...

when i get a chance i'll sit down properly and figure it right out. the biggest difference i can see right now is that with my setup i can still use all the notes from the controllers keyboard to play synths with as all the note assignments are actually done by proxy through the midiyoke, leaving the note inputs from the controller free for double duty i guess...

ryansupak

Post by ryansupak » Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:31 pm

http://www.vato9.org/abletonAutomation/LiveMidiCC.jpg

Here's an example sent from Clearscreen. (Thanks, Clearscreen!)

I think it's wire up actually a little differently than mine, but if it works... :D

rs

TheAnimal

Post by TheAnimal » Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:59 pm

Great tip, Ryan. Thanks a lot!

zfigz

What exactly does this do?

Post by zfigz » Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:54 pm

Ok, so I set Live exactly the way Ryan suggested (I'm on a pb g4). This tip allows you to record CC automation into the individual clips, correct? I thought this was already possible...Even without doing what was suggested I'm able to record automation into my clips. What does it exactly do? Sorry for the stupid question. I've been using Live for the past year and I thought I had a grasp on it, but maybe I should think otherwise.

So, if someone could clear up what this actually does in terms of making my live experience better, It'd be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

zfigz

Post by zfigz » Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:08 am

bump :roll:

conny

Post by conny » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:11 pm

Maybe I'm confused and have not read the whole thread, but if I want to record cc etc into a clip I might:

Have a midi clip in track A routed to midi track B
Track B is armed and receives midi in, in my case thats a M-Audio keystation.
The midi from A and the M-Audio controller data are recorded into the new clip in track B.

Am I missing something?
(Probably: coffee)

// C
PC Laptop Acer, XP Home SP2, build in crappy sound card.
Bleeps and Blops!
http://bluemoose.greatnow.com/

conny

Post by conny » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:57 pm

Missing more than coffee, sorry.
Tried the original idea with in/out routing and for a while it worked but suddenly the controller data was not recognized. Strange.

// C
PC Laptop Acer, XP Home SP2, build in crappy sound card.
Bleeps and Blops!
http://bluemoose.greatnow.com/