how to automate CC's within ableton

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
conny

Post by conny » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:54 pm

Kodama wrote:Conny, does that work for recording CC automation data as well?
Oops, misunderstood the Q it seems... a *little* drunk... can't figure it out.
If we mean automation sent from a plug to be recorded in arrangement, I don't think that could be re-routed to be recorded in a session clip.
Hope I'm wrong (I have been before)

// C(C)
PC Laptop Acer, XP Home SP2, build in crappy sound card.
Bleeps and Blops!
http://bluemoose.greatnow.com/

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:06 pm

Too bad that BeatRepeat pattern doesn't sound nearly as good as it looks, eh, mate?

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:29 pm

Someone should probably bump this very informative thread, I mean it details how to record clip automation in Live 5.

*Bump*
GO VEGAN!!! - Macbook Air, Bass Station II, Some Korg shit, Live Suite, U-He, Audio Damage, Microtonic, Ohmicide, more soft stuffs, awesome controllers, euro rack modular synth,an awesome cat.

ryansupak

Post by ryansupak » Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:37 am

Kodama: thanks for bumping.

To those who couldn't get it to work:

How far are you getting? Where's the process derailing?

Yours,
rs

ps - working on a way to get notes to work, but i think it's gonna require the use of a patching lang. like PD, MAX, Plogue, etc...

The fundamental problem is this:
Where MIDI clip recording is concerned, Ableton ignores MIDI notes coming from a device, if those MIDI notes are already assigned to clip triggers.

The workaround is this:
Create another MIDI loopback that only sends MIDI notes -- and that gets inputted both as a Track input and a Remote input. Since the "doubled" MIDI notes are in effect coming from a separate input device, Ableton's MIDI clip recording can "see" them, and thus record them.

The problem with the workaround is this:
When you press a MIDI key, Ableton sees two copies of it coming in. So, you get a "flam" effect, a double hit, when you press a key.

Possible workarounds:
1) Generate yet another MIDI loopback. Use it for track in only, and use loopback #2 for remote in only. (this gets slow and icky, though).

2) use a patching language to "mute" midi note thru for loopback #2 whenever record mode is turned off. (this would be inherently fauity -- engaging record via the computer keyboard or mouse would break it).

$0.02,
rs

bland_handl

Post by bland_handl » Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:50 am

Man I love what I'm seeing, though there's something I'm missing in the set-up to get it to work here.

I think the process is derailing in my head before I even get to Ableton.

Sorry for the dumb question, but is the virtual loop you're getting simply a function of having the track in & out assigned to each other? Or is something else needed to get the midi back in?

Thanks.

(really want to get this happening - been recording CC passes into arrangement, consolodating as a new clip and then dropping that back onto session view - a real pain in the arse compared to your method Ryan)

bland_handl

Post by bland_handl » Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:54 am

Actually, seems what's missing in my prefs is the IAC driver /bus - would anybody mind explaining what that is?

I'm using a mac powerbook and a presonus firebox if that helps...

thanks

Per Boysen

Post by Per Boysen » Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:01 am

bland_handl wrote:Actually, seems what's missing in my prefs is the IAC driver /bus - would anybody mind explaining what that is?

I'm using a mac powerbook and a presonus firebox if that helps...

thanks
IAC is a virtual pipeline in OSX for MIDI. In all MIDI applications is just appears as another MIDI interface. Very cool and useful! But you have to enable it in OS X first: "Applications/Utilities/Audio MIDI setup.appl"
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
http://www.perboysen.com

ryansupak

Post by ryansupak » Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:08 pm

Yeah, like Per Boysen said --

You have to turn them on. You can have up to eight of them going.

I think the tidiest solution might be to use PD. Once I have this figured out good, I'll likely put a PD patch together for it...

rs

bland_handl

Post by bland_handl » Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:47 am

Wow! 8O
That's huge news all round! Thanks Per.
Ryan, you rock!

This has got to be one of the best tips I've ever read on this forum.
B

kennerb

Post by kennerb » Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:07 am

Dang. Now I HAVE to upgrade.
3ghz Pentium 4 (Prescott), XP Sp2, 1gig Ram, Dual Monitor with Matrox Millenium, MOTU Traveler, Event EZ8 Adat card. Also IBM THinkpad t40 1.6 1 gig ram

Per Boysen

Post by Per Boysen » Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:58 am

bland_handl wrote:This has got to be one of the best tips I've ever read on this forum.
B
yeah, I see you point there ;-) If there wasn't all these OS X goodies I would probably be using centrinos only ;-)
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
http://www.perboysen.com

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:00 am

If you would really like to see proper support for automation inside the session view go here:
http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28144
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

gia

Post by gia » Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:30 am

Hello,

I tried all night trying to make this work. Something happens that I can't understand: My midi track does not receive a midi CC signal if its assigned as a remote. When I delete the remote assignation, I get the signal, I can record it and then only assign it.

Does someone understand whats going on here?
By the way thanks Ryan

ryansupak

Post by ryansupak » Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:36 am

hi Gia,

So just to be sure I've got this straight:

If you have the controller assigned to "Remote In" only, Live receives the CC.
If you have the controller assigned to "Remote In" and "Track In", Live does not receive the CC.

Is this correct?
rs

gia

Post by gia » Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:49 am

Hi ryan,

When a CC is assigned in the midi map, I can't record it in a clip.