Proper Stereo Panning

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
nolus

Proper Stereo Panning

Post by nolus » Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:12 pm

Shoot me if this is too obvious but...

One thing that bugs me about live is not having independent control of panning on the left and right channels of a stereo pair.

After much twiddling, I came up with this.

Track 3 has a Utility the same as track 1 but with the right-hand channel selected.

Use the pan knobs on tracks 1 and 3 to adjust the width and position of the sound stage. The pan knob on track 2 still works as a ballance control.

It's useful on percussion tracks - bongos, tablas, that kind of thing - where different instruments are spread accross the sound stage. You can create a more ralistic effect by narrowing the sound stage and placing it where the imaginary percusionist might be sitting.

n 8)
"That very perceptive of you Mr Stapleton, and rather unexpected... in a G Major"

supster

Post by supster » Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:24 pm

how is this different from putting a Utility plugin in your channel, then using the "width" control to spread the stereo and using pan to push the whole thing left or right?
--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:36 pm

supster wrote:how is this different from putting a Utility plugin in your channel, then using the "width" control to spread the stereo and using pan to push the whole thing left or right?
Pan doesn't "push things" in any direction, it turns the individual volumes up and down... IOW, it doesn't work like it would if you were panning two mono signals, and in more words... it's not Pan at all, it's actually a balance knob... You may detect by my tone, that I've complained about this before :?

Best,
Andy
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

nolus

Post by nolus » Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:05 am

Machinate wrote:
supster wrote:how is this different from putting a Utility plugin in your channel, then using the "width" control to spread the stereo and using pan to push the whole thing left or right?
Pan doesn't "push things" in any direction, it turns the individual volumes up and down... IOW, it doesn't work like it would if you were panning two mono signals, and in more words... it's not Pan at all, it's actually a balance knob... You may detect by my tone, that I've complained about this before :?

Best,
Andy
What Machinate said :D plus the width control attenuates (and ultimately removes) things from the center of the mix, which screws up the balance between different elements in the track. In fact if you set the width to 200% and then mix the result to mono you will end up with silence - ((L-R)+(R-L)).

Also you can use this trick to swap the left and right channels completely.

[edit] you _can_ get a simillar effect using just one track by using a utility to _narrow_ the stereo width and then panning the result left and right, but, unless you make it completly mono, you still get some crossfading between the left and right channels.[/edit]
"That very perceptive of you Mr Stapleton, and rather unexpected... in a G Major"