How to use sends properly...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
clipperer

Post by clipperer » Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:30 pm

yeah you can turn em at once But in the centre the sounds volume will go down. faders in reason and live [ maybe acid and more ] are like that, they draw the sound in delay form if you will linearly automate 2 faders.
well i dont know if you can see what i mean, but for no volume loss, with 2 sounds youd like to use more specific sound editor.

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:02 pm

how about the crossfader? Put beat repeat on a send, choose pre-fader and assign the source-channels to A and the return channel to B. Now you can blend between 100% clean and 100% effected sound.

clipperer

Post by clipperer » Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:25 pm

perfect, this even might work, have to check it out

clipperer

Post by clipperer » Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:28 pm

oh yes , of course. with crossfader the sound will be doubled in the middle.

MrYellow

Post by MrYellow » Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:03 am

"Sends Only"

edit: oh u say u don't want that...

-Ben

Nixon

Post by Nixon » Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:01 am

besides the pre and post selections on the sends it would be super if mr. ableton could add dry/wet in the sends selections itself...then all would be solved! I just notice more and more I need this setting for using Live the way I would like to... :(

moving over to the feature wishlist department... :D

Nixon

Post by Nixon » Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:06 am

ow and clipperer, that just might work, if we could edit the crossfader curve, so we wouldn't get a stronger signal in the middel. Also when using multiple effects on different channels you need multiple crossfaders... :)
I'm at work now, but when i'm home i'll check if this can be done with envelopes...

nolus

Post by nolus » Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:09 am

Try putting a utility, set to phase reverse, on a second return track. route both returns to the B side of the crossfader and the original track to the A side. With the Xfader set in the middle you get all fx because the phase reversed signal cancels the original, as you move it to the left the fx fades out and the original track fades in.
"That very perceptive of you Mr Stapleton, and rather unexpected... in a G Major"

Nixon

Post by Nixon » Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:18 am

sounds good nolus...i'll try that as soon i'm home! thanks for the help! :)

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:52 pm

heya, you can also route audio to sends only, simple, second pulldown.

you could also do a send set to "pre" on the input track, assign the one siy of the xfade to the original track and one to the send, and mix like that.
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

FaX-01

Post by FaX-01 » Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:58 pm

Nixon wrote:besides the pre and post selections on the sends it would be super if mr. ableton could add dry/wet in the sends selections itself...then all would be solved! I just notice more and more I need this setting for using Live the way I would like to... :(

moving over to the feature wishlist department... :D
Why ?
The send level acts like a wet dry mix.
Have you ever used an analog mixing desk by any chance.
A send and return is a send and return.
Ableton's act's no differently to anyone elses implementation from what I can gather.
You just need to know when an insert effect is needed over a send and return effect IMHO.
My aren't the wings of butterflies beautiful and do they not make wonderful perturbations.....

Michael-SW

Post by Michael-SW » Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:09 pm

FaX-01 wrote:
Why ?
The send level acts like a wet dry mix.
Yes, but you can never get over 50% wet with a ordinary send. What Nixon is trying to do is to get a "virtual insert" that you can switch between several tracks without wasting neither tracks nor hardware controller knobs.

A pre fader send where you simultaneously increase the send level and decrease the track level will do the trick, but then you you need to twiddle two knobs and have to worry about your levels.

Nevermind how analog mixers work. That is not what we are using.

nolus

Post by nolus » Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:13 pm

Just been playing around and discovered a neat variation on the phase reverse idea.

1. Put a Utility set to phase invert on A return
2. Put your desired effect on B return
3. turn up send B to maximum on the A return channel
4. make sure both sends are set to post

now if you turn up send A on a track it will fade between 100% dry and 100% fx. send B will bring in the effect in the "normal" way.

you can set up several effects this way and apply them instantly to any track :D

of course the 180 degree phase shift might affect the sound of the dry wet mix with some effects, but another phase inverter placed before the effect could fix that. In practice I don't think it would make much of a difference with most effects.

I'm glad I read your post, because I wouldn't have thought of this otherwise.
"That very perceptive of you Mr Stapleton, and rather unexpected... in a G Major"

Michael-SW

Post by Michael-SW » Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:21 pm

That was an extremely cool solution! I think it needs to be entered into the hall of fame...

Nixon

Post by Nixon » Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:53 am

nice nice nice nice nice nice nice!!!

really brilliant nolus! and it saves so much controller knobs using 8 channels!!!