F.A.Q Warping PART DEUX

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Sloth_uk

Post by Sloth_uk » Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:45 am

If you double click on a grey marker it becomes warped, therefore locking everything to the left of it in place. So if the beginning is correctly marked, set a marker, then you can mess about with the middle without affecting the beginning.

serotoninsteve

Post by serotoninsteve » Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:18 pm

GK wrote:i've been thinking about this too
maybe the answer is here :

2) Determine where 1.1.1 will be. You may have to listen to the groove to determine this. If the beginning of the track makes it difficult to determine where the 1.1.1 is, you can set 1.1.1 at a logical place later in the track (where the kick comes in, for instance, or at the track's 17.1.1). Now you can look back to the beginning and find where you really want to place the 1.1.1, perhaps at -16 or -32. Set 1.1.1 here and confirm that 1.1.1 is where it should be by listening to the music

My question is really about badly ripped vinyls , temposhifting all the time.
I'm following supster's mini-guide from the older FAQ topic , but the problem is , i think , when i move the markers in the middle of the track,the previous ones lose their correct place..
i'm trying to beatmark a Wally Lopez single , House park...
It´s easyer when you set up a 1 bar loop and jump trough your track with the arrow up & down keys while listening to your reference drumloop.

Once you see and hear that the track starts to drift set a marker, then jump a few ( 8 ) bars to the right and nail one down and adjust it that it is back in sync. If you move this marker without nailing it down you would change the whole BPM´s to the right of the last warpmarker, what technique to use in the different cases is a feeling you get automaticly.

Often longer breaks are off when the kick comes back, but therefore your BPMs havend changed, so for best results nail one down before the break and after, then you timestrech only the break, not the rest of your song.

If you are on the L5betas, chech out the last b7, they have changed the warping behaviour back so that you don´t need to revert always when you move a marker, a very good decision.

Once you have the trick one time, it´s easy as hell.

Greetings
Last edited by serotoninsteve on Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MBP 15,4" 2,53GHz C2D 4Gb late 2008 / Mac OS X.6.2 / Novation Remote 37SL Compact / TriggerFinger / FaderfoxDJ2 / Padkontrol / UC33 / SM Audio TB202 / Audiofire2 / Apogee Duet / Event OPAL's / HD25 /

serotoninsteve

Post by serotoninsteve » Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:25 pm

Hehe, you spoke from a Wally Lopez track, and as I´m listening and recording about 600 vinyl´s from a mates collection for the last 2 months while hanging here around, I just now found a wally lopez disc, Alone in the dark and factorizando.

I´ll give them a try if they are more complicated as others.

Greetings
MBP 15,4" 2,53GHz C2D 4Gb late 2008 / Mac OS X.6.2 / Novation Remote 37SL Compact / TriggerFinger / FaderfoxDJ2 / Padkontrol / UC33 / SM Audio TB202 / Audiofire2 / Apogee Duet / Event OPAL's / HD25 /

GK

Post by GK » Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:35 pm

I think i'm getting this done ...

I realised that this track , was the case that Live by itself had put like 90 warp markers in it! [yellow] , and the result was close to be perfect!!... hehe,i was rushing to change it and i didnt notice that it was correct from the start!

Serotoninsteve thanks for the advice about the Breaks...!that was the issue in fact...!

But i dont nail down the markers,i just move em right or left so that they come in place[just like supster described]....maybe its a matter of tactic depending on the track.....
i'll try to 'lock' correct periods from now on!

thanks again everyone,very kind of you to answer

ps :isn't live A MIXING PARADISE when you get warped done?
I mean.. Auto-filter device...and i dont even have a midicontroller,though,it's the best EQ killer ever..warm,smooth,fast..
This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness.

HH the Dalai Lama

Sloth_uk

Post by Sloth_uk » Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:04 pm

When Live 5 auto warps my tracks the only yellow marker is the one set at 1.1.1? Are they all meant to start off yellow? I can double click them to become yellow and lock them in place, but they dont start like this, do they?

supster

Post by supster » Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:09 pm

GK wrote:the problem is , i think , when i move the markers in the middle of the track,the previous ones lose their correct place..
remember, once you double click on the grey marker, it turns yellow. this is the "warp marker".

only if its yellow will the marker be "locked down" and not move.

if you're following the instructions, but leaving out the part about setting the yellow warp markers periodically, then you're not doing it right.

i set mine approximately every 32 bars, others do it differently.
--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com

GK

Post by GK » Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:13 pm

aha , so i was missing out the nailing.. i'll recheck the warped ones i made..but i think they're accurate with no warpmarkers but the 1.1.1...hmm
This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness.

HH the Dalai Lama

supster

Post by supster » Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:27 pm

GK wrote:aha , so i was missing out the nailing.. i'll recheck the warped ones i made..but i think they're accurate with no warpmarkers but the 1.1.1...hmm

they might be. the problem with this is that any tiny touch on any of the grey markers will throw them off.

sometimes they will shift on thier own if you close out live and pull the clip back into the grid; mysteriously they do shift at times. with no yellow warp markers you're almost sure to ruin your mixes.

follow the instructions step by step before you change them, theres a reason for everything. later on if you disagree fine, but for now your best bet is to just do it the way we described it.
--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

supster

Post by supster » Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:30 pm

hambone1 wrote:Warping is a skill. Even with autowarp. It's not a talent. Anyone can do it.

However, just like any skill, it takes practice and experience to be good at it, and those with dedication and commitment will have no problem with it.

So many helpful people have posted comprehensive and useful warping tutorials on this forum. If you can't master this fundamental skill, I don't know how you can possibly hope to understand the rest of Live.

I'm glad it's not always easy. It keeps out the lazy auto-deejay types who want to give up their Walmart jobs "to be like Sasha."

seriously man, i dont see the point of some of your posts other that to try and boost your ego.

its not working, nobody cares on these boards, if you're not helping can you stay out of it? thanks
--

Sloth_uk

Post by Sloth_uk » Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:55 pm

This thread, along with the other warping thread in this forum, has taught me alot. I dont understand why people get all worked up, everyone has to start somewhere and whilst the manual is very good, its nice to know other peoples views on methods etc etc. Thanks for all the good info in this thread so far guys

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Sat Sep 24, 2005 3:54 pm

Sorry about the attitude. I'm just disappointed and frustrated at just how much the forum has deteriorated over the past few months.

It doesn't have anything to do with ego. I don't need anyone to tell me that I know what I'm doing.

I've tried to be helpful in many cases, but have really had enough of the juveniles here who can't do a bit of homework, reading, research and learning before asking for spoon-feeding.

Rant over. Got warp-markering to do.

supster

Post by supster » Sat Sep 24, 2005 3:58 pm

hambone1 wrote: I've tried to be helpful in many cases, but have really had enough of the juveniles here who can't do a bit of homework and learning before asking for spoon-feeding.
well, in defense of the new people:

- the search function on this brand of board is pretty lame. unless you know to check "search all terms" it brings back non-sense. even then it can be really tedious to find anything of value

- the default font on here is very small and unless you think to change it, it compounds the frustration problem

- warping in particular is one of those things that gets easy for you once you've done it for long enough, you forget how tricky it was starting out. kind of like beatmatching vinyl

- new people are exited and bright eyed and bushy tailed, they're impatient and dont want to wait to get answers by doing a lot of research.

case in point: last time you got a new toy (controller, vst) did you read the entire manual first ... or did you rip it out of the box, set it up glancing at the quickstart guide when you needed to? i thought so
--

GK

Post by GK » Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:07 pm

i've been in the position of a ''semi-experienced answering lame questions'' when dealing with posix/unix/bsd operating systems..
Sometimes newbies are giving you a hard time.They may come up with questions so basic that you want to rip your tongue off and stick it in your @($&@$ of the @()#$& ..
That's not the issue with Live.I haven't read any EXTRAordinary questions..And consider supster comments about the forum..
Anyway,lets get back to some advanced[lol]-warp marking issues!

peace

HH the Dalai Lama

am is are

don't forget to SAVE your warped clip

Post by am is are » Sun Sep 25, 2005 2:29 am

once you get your warp markers nailed down, you should click the little SAVE button in the SAMPLE section of the Clip View. that should save and keep your warp markers exactly where you want em. 8)

GK

Post by GK » Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:44 am

has it happened to you that Live auto warps a track with many markers,and that they are 99,9% correct?..

damn i hate vinyl rps :( :roll: :?

HH the Dalai Lama