Sync to EXT + Complex Warp mode = grotty sound

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
jasefos

Post by jasefos » Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:01 am

Alex wrote:Hi folks,

just a few words on these issues:

1) We make a change in the latest beta (5.0.2b7) which should reduce the artifacts of "RePitch" and "Complex" warp modes when Live runs as MIDI clock slave.

Alex

Hi Alex,

OK it's been sometime since the 5.02 officail update was released.,

This change made a big improvement however I'm still experiencing some noticeable warbliness when runnning Live as a MIDI Clock Slave - particularly with Frozen VSTis playing pad sounds (e.g. Korg Legacy Digital Edition's M1) .

Although it is much better there are still noticeable artefacts (easily noticed when toggling the EXT button in Session view during playback). When Live is not slaved to EXT MIDI clock the sound quality of Frozen VSti's playing pads sounds perfect.

Alex wrote: 2) In general the requirements on how Live should "follow" a MIDI clock depends on how you want to use it. If you have a static tempo meaning you do not want to change the tempo of the MIDI clock master, you want to have the tempo recognition within Live as fixed as possible.
If you want to change the tempo of the MIDI clock master the slave (Live) should follow you need much less "sluggishness".
Maybe we will have a switch, knob or something similar to let the user make this preferred behavior.

regards,
Alex

I think I've missed something here.

In the MIDI panel of the Preferences, I notice there are controls to change from Pattern and Song mode for any MIDI Output port I select however these only effect Live's MIDI Clock output.

In the same panel when I select a MIDI Input port, there are no additional control like you've mentioned above.

It would be good to be able to control the MIDI Clock input averaging used when Live is slaved to External MIDI Clocks.

I've tried using 2 device as clock sources:

- Korg Electribe ER1mk2
Not as good a clock source as the original ER1mk1 it turns out ... I did some measurements of audio recordings of the ER1mk2 when playing a simple kick pattern however it turns out some beats are slightly early while others are late.

- 5000 Fingers of Dr T MIDI Clock generator (custom made for me)
This is a PIC based, dedicated MIDI Clock generating box with 4 MIDI outputs that I use to drive my rig of Electribes, Live slaved + other hardware synths have arpegiator functions. When Live 5.02 is slaving to this instead of the Korg Electribe ER1mk2 ithe warbliing artefacts decrease however are still evident.

Possibly MIDI Clock input averaging over a wider time frame is required? Unfortunately the time frame over which averaging is done is not user adjustable.

In the MIDI Preference Panel, when a MIDI Input port is currently selected it would be great if an additional control could be included which would allow a user to specify the length of time over which averaging of input MIDI Clocks can happen. This way a user could balance between Live's responsiveness to tempo deviations to meet their needs.

Any thoughts anyone ?

The bottom line is when Live is slaving to external MIDI Clock, the sound quality of Frozen VSTi's does change with artefacts being introduced.

Cheers
JaseFOS

-Live10.1 |Push2|Maschinemk2|KeyLab61|LaunchPad|MCUpro|MCExt|MCExt|iPad2|TouchABLE2
-Mac Pro 5.1 (dual hex core Xeon 3.46gHz, 28Gb RAM) running MacOS 10.13.6
-Universal Audio Apollo Quad (firewire)
-SHITLOADS OF HARDWARE SYNTHS