MIDI BUG causing latency

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
Chris J

Post by Chris J » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:56 pm

setting delay comp to off makes a total mess, everything's out of sync.
I switched all plugins off but you know, it's a long run to record midi notes.

I was thinking I've always had troubles recording midi on PCs, I've always had issues with cubaseST, sx, now live and remember the 10 years I spent recording on atari 1040ST's (I've used like 5 of them) and a creator, the graphics were slow, scrolling was a nightmare but the timing was good, well never noticed anything.
But yeah you couldn't do what you can do now blahblah blah. Still it was a really slow processor and handled midi nicely
Quad 6600 Intel, AsusP5Q, 2Gb ram, XP sp3, Evolution MK361c & UC33e, Line6 UX8

Groovecake

Post by Groovecake » Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:47 pm

"Workaround" is a dirty word! :x

So has there been anything new regarding this issue?

henry ford

Post by henry ford » Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:25 am

heh , workaround is like doublespeak for selfinflictedhell , something like a phrase out of george orwell's 1984

by the way....when i try to record myself playing some notes from my midi keyboard , live is recording the notes and quantizing them....what do i do to halt the quantizing of the notes ?

Chris J

Post by Chris J » Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:25 am

in edit menu, record quantize > no quantize

Groovecake

Post by Groovecake » Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:41 pm

<edited by poster>

Groovecake

Post by Groovecake » Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:05 am

So I came up with a workaround for the MIDI latency issue. Since I want to be able to improvise parts on the fly live that don't sound right quantized, this is a HUGE issue for me.

For each MIDI track I want to sequence (especially bass parts), I set up two tracks - one with the monitor in and one with the monitor off. I then only record into the "monitor off" track (but I still hear the synth because I have a "monitor on" track also). Instead of doing an annoying drag and drop, I have the MIDI of the "monitor off" track routed to the "monitor on" track. That seems to do the trick since the "monitor off" track's MIDI data is where I played it instead of slightly off and that data is triggering the "monitor in" channel.

I don't recall if anyone suggested this earlier. Has anyone else tried this particular workaround?

Mitch

Chris J

Post by Chris J » Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:28 am

yes I did, but that's fine if you only record one midi track, otherwise you have to set that up everytime, which is more of a drag than just dragging.

moreover, like I said in a recent post, even set to off, notes are not where they should if you have a CPU intensive track.

henry ford

Post by henry ford » Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:53 pm

yes

Groovecake

Post by Groovecake » Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:58 pm

I just re-read the entire thread and saw that Henry Ford suggested the same thing. Has it been pretty reliable for you, Henry?

And, has anyone heard anything new from Ableton? This is a pretty egregious problem, I'd say.

henry ford

Post by henry ford » Sat Nov 26, 2005 8:23 pm

well , it was an improvement.....i havent been using that function lately , im kind of snoozing over live 5.02 and reading about MAX/msp and getting to know bidule now that i got the early bird license. so im not making music per se, soundscaping etc. this style doesnt really push live so i dont notice any errors. I'm waiting for 5.0^ till i resume recording keyboard and making riffs.

apparently there are still lag issues even when you use that workaround , interconnected with PDC settings and other stuff......i've given up thinking about it for the time being.

john gordon

Post by john gordon » Sat Nov 26, 2005 8:42 pm

Groovecake wrote:I just re-read the entire thread and saw that Henry Ford suggested the same thing. Has it been pretty reliable for you, Henry?

And, has anyone heard anything new from Ableton? This is a pretty egregious problem, I'd say.
ableton has been mia for a while now

WaveRider

Post by WaveRider » Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:19 pm

Groovecake wrote:So I came up with a workaround for the MIDI latency issue. Since I want to be able to improvise parts on the fly live that don't sound right quantized, this is a HUGE issue for me.

Me too, I just want to play my keys live and record without quantize. That keeps the feel in. It is amazing that a sequencer can`t do that properly.

Is that problem present in Live4 as well? It is important for me to know!!!

icedsushi

Post by icedsushi » Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:25 pm

Nope, Live 5 bug only with the relation of PDC and the new OFF midi track monitor setting.

The workaround is starting to become so second nature and old hat to me, it's going to be weird going back to the normal way when they actually fix it. :!:

If it goes a few more months this way, maybe they should consider adding the workaround to the manual. :roll:

Sorry, had to get that off my chest.

Let's go Abes! Go Abes go.
Let's hear it for the team.
Let's get mixed & warped.
Rah Rah Rah...go go go!
Goooooooooooooooo Abes!

Yay!

(Anyone care to post any sexy Ableton cheerleaders?)

Meef Chaloin

Post by Meef Chaloin » Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:28 pm

wtf?! only just come across this thread & I cant believe it. I have noticed that both my midi and audio recordings seemed to have got a hell of a lot sloppier lately, i was getting pretty upset about it thinking that i was actually getting worse at making music.

Ive just gone back to using v4, purely for the cpu consumption of 5, 4 seems much more economical for me. I'm definitely staying on 4 for a while after reading this.

Im sorry, i do love v5, it seems lovely to use but its just not ready. Aren't massive problems like this meant to be fixed in beta?

I think the state of Live is really sad, it was so stable & cpu friendly but its suffering pretty fundamental problems. Im actually thinking of using v3 again after reading about the select on recording issue (im waiting for a midi pedal to arrive so havent messed about yet).

Please fix this, i just cant believe it, i love the program but im getting a little disillusioned with it :cry:

WaveRider

Post by WaveRider » Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:34 pm

Meef Chaloin wrote:wtf?! only just come across this thread & I cant believe it. I have noticed that both my midi and audio recordings seemed to have got a hell of a lot sloppier lately, i was getting pretty upset about it thinking that i was actually getting worse at making music.
Yeah that is the problem. We expect it to work, spend countless hours being frustrated with our music/abilities because we do not know it is a bug!!!!! :evil:

Write it somewhere in big letters Ableton: if your timing sux it's us not you!!!!!