UC-33e and the +/- buttons

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
sqook

UC-33e and the +/- buttons

Post by sqook » Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:17 pm

Is it possible to program the + and - buttons in the UC-33? I'd like to assign them to scene scrolling up and down (as I've filled up the other 10 buttons already), but live won't learn from them. Likewise, I've noticed that they don't send a midi control number to the display when you push them, so you can't simply reprogram it by pressing the button and then assigning a new midi cc number to it. Likewise, I couldn't find the exact control number for these 2 buttons in the manual, so I can't program it by typing it in.

Has anyone dealt with this at all?

zekrab

Post by zekrab » Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:58 pm

In the manual they say there are 14 assignable buttons... so i guess these two (+/-) cannot be programmed.
Dell inspiron 9100 P4 3,2Ghz, 512 Mo RAM, XP SP2, Echoindigo dj, Firewire 410, UC33e

sqook

Post by sqook » Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:09 pm

I guess you're right. How disappointing, though... guess I'll have to find some other way to do this.

Cache

Post by Cache » Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:21 pm

just use one of the knobs to scroll up/down
OR
use a different preset with a different global midi # eg 1/57 vs 2/57.

i use the 4 hot keys at the top to give me access to 4x the numbre of buttons/knobs on the uc33.
works great.

and i'm sure there are even better ways of doing it.

Cache
www.cachemusic.com
myspace.com/1800cachecall
myspace.com/autonomousunit
myspace.com/kinesicla
myspace.com/pocketonfridays

sqook

Post by sqook » Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:56 pm

Cache wrote:just use one of the knobs to scroll up/down
OR
use a different preset with a different global midi # eg 1/57 vs 2/57.

i use the 4 hot keys at the top to give me access to 4x the numbre of buttons/knobs on the uc33.
works great.

and i'm sure there are even better ways of doing it.

Cache
I already have a knob assigned to the scroller. But I have over 44 scenes in my liveset, and it's kind of hard to get it exactly on the scene which I need. I've assigned the 0-9 buttons for clip launch, so I was hoping to use the knob to quickly scroll to what I need and one of the buttons to get exactly where I need to go. I dislike the uc's presets during live use, because of controller muting and all that jazz.

Anyways, it's no big deal. I'll just assign a key to it instead. :)

Cache

Post by Cache » Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:06 pm

yeah i use two buttons for up/down as well as having a scroll button.

i used to use the uc for up/down (3/5) but since i got a microKontrol, i use that now instead.

k & M on the keyboard prolly work good too!!!

btw, what do you mean by controller muting?
www.cachemusic.com
myspace.com/1800cachecall
myspace.com/autonomousunit
myspace.com/kinesicla
myspace.com/pocketonfridays

inis

Post by inis » Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:29 pm

definetly cant do it. kinda pisses me off too.

sqook

Post by sqook » Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:47 am

Cache wrote:yeah i use two buttons for up/down as well as having a scroll button.

i used to use the uc for up/down (3/5) but since i got a microKontrol, i use that now instead.

k & M on the keyboard prolly work good too!!!

btw, what do you mean by controller muting?
When you switch presets, the problem is that you get parameter jumps. For example, say I have a fader assigned to track 1 under preset 1, and like "scroll" under preset 2. Say that I set track one to have a volume of 50, and then switch to preset 2 to scroll around for a bit, ultimately leaving the fader's value at 10. Now, when I switch back to preset 1 and touch the fader, it will instantly drop the volume by 40. Not good.

The UC-33 has what they call "controller muting" to prevent these parameter jumps. You basically just press the "program" and "data LSB" buttons at the same time. This effectively turns of the UC so that you can move the knobs without sending actual midi data. Then, you move fader 1 back up to about where you think 50 should be, then unmute the controller by pressing the key combination again, and then your parameter jump is only about 3-5, rather than 40.

Now you can see why I only use my presets in the studio. :)